PDA

View Full Version : Grizzly 30" G4011

Patrick OBrien
03-03-2007, 12:30 PM
I'm considering getting this Grizzly 30" Shear/Brake. Anyone have any experience or input on this tool? It seems to be a value.
Any replies appreciated.

Rob Bosworth
03-03-2007, 3:38 PM
If you buy it, let us know how it works. 3 machines in one at a very good price.

Neal Schlee
03-04-2007, 1:43 PM
Patrick,

I've used that model of shear (taiwanese made) for over 10 years in my shop, mostly cutting alm & brass plate stock. I like it because it can cut a 24" sheet in the long dimension. I have yet to reverse the cutting edges. (reversable blades)

I did make one modification to it tho, remove the 2 small washers on the bolts that go thru the oblong slots in the blade, replace them with the largest diameter washers you can find, put some grease behind before installing, tighten only enuf to allow for movement without any slop, grease all the other joints and your good to go.
I also added a longer guide ruler. Great machine for an import.

Neal

Patrick OBrien
03-06-2007, 6:43 PM
Neal,
Thanks for the response and observations. I appreciate your tips on the washers and ruler/guide. My gut feeling was this a decent machine for light shearing, the brake and the roll functions were just gravy.
This should be perfect for the work I do. (Same as you)
You can't tell sometimes with the imports. I own a Smithy multi tool that has performed flawlessly for 16 years, if you stay with in it's limitations. No turning/milling stainless or alloys, but perfect for alum, brass, plastic , wood etc. Sometimes the Chinese turn out great products...other times pure crap.
Thanks again!

Pat:)

Patrick OBrien
04-10-2007, 7:18 PM
If you buy it, let us know how it works. 3 machines in one at a very good price.
Got the machine from Harbor Freight for $330.00 (plus NY tax), no delivery charge - jammed it in the back of our Subaru.

After extensive cleaning and lubrication, the shear works very nicely, does nice brakes and rolls as well. Fairly robust construction and a sharp blade.

We are building a feed table and fence for better control/accuracy.
All in all, this seems like a great little machine, provided you work it within it's limitations.

Neal Schlee
04-11-2007, 12:48 PM
Pat, I remove the material hold downs when cutting trophy metal.

Neal

Patrick OBrien
04-11-2007, 6:21 PM
Neal,
Interesting you should say that. My partner did the same while cleaning the machine. After shearing a piece of Rowmark, I noticed it 'pulled' the material out of true. I think we will re-install the hold down with a felt buffer attached. The new table and fence may also help.

Thanks again for your input. It was on the money.

Pat

Neal Schlee
04-12-2007, 12:11 PM
I also added a long guide on the right side. Used a machinist 18" steel ruler. The table can be easily drilled and tapped to mount it, I slightly oversized the holes allowing for squaring with the blade. Most thin metal cuts can be made accurately by holding the metal firmly while cutting, the hold down bar always seem to be in the way.

Neal