PDA

View Full Version : Reveal joint

Mark Singer
03-03-2007, 10:45 AM
In the Sapelle bed thread ;) I used at joint that did not seem to generate questions....so since you didn't ask....here is the answer:eek:

By seting the saw blade at your SawStop or other saw 1/8" above the table or better yet use your sled as I did make a reveal on all edges of the board at one end....a stop block insures registration...then when mortised or doweled the elements ...verticle and horizontal are seperated ...when you glue up chase all the glue out with a stick or Q tip. This keeps the design a little cleaner as pieces don,t meld into one but instead maintain their character. Don't goo to deep or the surface will become small and weak 1/8" x 1/8" is about right unless the piece is huge

If you use a tenor as I am showing a soprano may add interest:confused:

glenn bradley
03-03-2007, 11:45 AM
Sorry Mark,

I did notice and appreciate the reveal. I was under the weather yesterday and not so verbose as usual. You see this 'appearance' on some furniture where a veneered panel meets the solid wood; different joint, similar look, don't care for it.

The reveal on boards the scale you have used on the bed are the right place to do this sort of thing IMHO as it presents the pieces as structural elements which I think is very cool. Many of your pieces are of a scale I really enjoy and I love your posts. Always informative and gives me inspiration. Thanks!

Roy Wall
03-03-2007, 11:47 AM
Mark - I didn't notice them:o But after reviewing a few shots of the side table/drawer sections.....I do see the reveal. The wood grain flows so well its easy to miss!

That is a great idea...

BTW - do the side tables attach with dowels to the long rails of the bed? Dry fit only so transport /breakdown is easy?

Mark Singer
03-03-2007, 12:38 PM
Mark - I didn't notice them:o But after reviewing a few shots of the side table/drawer sections.....I do see the reveal. The wood grain flows so well its easy to miss!

That is a great idea...

BTW - do the side tables attach with dowels to the long rails of the bed? Dry fit only so transport /breakdown is easy?

It was dine with dowels glued to the rail only dry fit to the tables. Not a good place for infinity fastners....too hard to get the screws in:rolleyes:

Dan Oliphant
03-03-2007, 1:42 PM
Must admit, I didn't even see it, but it is a great detail and design feature.

Jim Becker
03-03-2007, 1:45 PM
I'm glad you pointed out one of the interesting subtleties of your joinery. Things like this add important shadow lines and also help to delineate form within the structure of the project. Nice!

Per Swenson
03-03-2007, 4:45 PM
Mark,

Ehh, five will getcha a tenner dat a da joint wasa hard ta see

in ta pitcha.

Butta you work a capella a keep a davoce mezzacapo.

Si?;)

Per

Mark Singer
03-03-2007, 5:05 PM
Mark,

Ehh, five will getcha a tenner dat a da joint wasa hard ta see

in ta pitcha.

Butta you work a capella a keep a davoce mezzacapo.

Si?;)

Per

Per,
My Italian sucks can you do Yiddish or Japanese:confused:

glenn bradley
03-03-2007, 5:14 PM
I didn't know 'Swenson' was Italian!

Per Swenson
03-03-2007, 5:16 PM
Mark,

Of course I can do both Yiddish and Japanese.

But that's not Italian, its Nort Joisy Bentanose'o.

Per