PDA

View Full Version : Cork?

Larry Bratton
03-03-2007, 10:14 AM
In advance of getting our machine, we are thinking of projects we want to do. One of the things is to produce a coaster set. We are thinking of first engraving the design on Rowmark LaserLights material and then applying to a cork base. However, I was wondering if the cork can be engraved and/or vector cut?
Also, I have found some sources for the cork material on the web but need to make these as economically as possible. Does anyone have a good source to share?
Thanks

Lee DeRaud
03-03-2007, 10:53 AM
FWIW, self-adhesive 1/16" cork is available in 12"x48" rolls at every Target, Ace Hardware, Home Depot, whatever I've ever been in...look for it where they have shelf paper or drawer liners. Cuts and engraves very nicely. I've used it both as a bottom pad for solid coasters and as an insert/liner material for coasters with a recessed top.

Typical price is $9-10 per roll, or about $0.20 per coaster.

Rodne Gold
03-03-2007, 12:09 PM
we buy very thin Cork , laser engrave and vector cut and we apply this to 3mm black or coloured acrylic (slightly larger diameter) and use felt pads below.

Larry Bratton
03-03-2007, 12:58 PM
we buy very thin Cork , laser engrave and vector cut and we apply this to 3mm black or coloured acrylic (slightly larger diameter) and use felt pads below.

Rodne, won't acylic be suseptable to dulling ? I have read that it shouldn't be cleaned with a paper towels or Windex as a cleaner. 3mm is basically 1/8" right?
Thanks for the tips, I'll experiment with a couple of things. I found some 1/8" cork, already cut for like .49 ea. May try that too, now that I know it will engrave.

Larry Bratton
03-03-2007, 1:00 PM
Thanks Lee. I'll look at those sources.

Dave Jones
03-03-2007, 4:23 PM
Larry, from Rodney's description I would guess you see very little of the acrylic. It sounds like it is basically used as a stiff substrate, with cork covering most of the top and felt on the bottom. So you would really only see the edges of the acrylic and a thin ring of it around the cork on top. So dulling wouldn't really be an issue.

They sound good to me.

You could also cut little shapes from the thin cork to use as pads on the bottom instead of felt.

Mike Null
03-03-2007, 4:38 PM
This will be of no help except to tell you what you want is available. I have some round cork about 1/16" with adhesive on the back sized for coasters but I haven't a clue where I got it. It engraves well.

Rodne Gold
03-03-2007, 8:53 PM
Acrylic will only dull if you clean with something like acetone or a very abraisve cleaner like "handy andy". The cork we use is very thin , about 1mm.
We buy self adhesive felt/baise from the craft store supply place and kiss cut small circular pads and use 3 pads under each coaster. A lot of trophy supply places have precut self adhesive fet type pads quite cheapo , they are used under awards etc. You can use bump ons too.

Abdul Baseer Hai
03-04-2007, 11:07 AM
All
Here are some pitures of projects I have been doing. Note the beauty of cork.
I get this cork from the JYSK store. they sell it as placemats. $2.99 for a set of two
I got beautiful results when i engraved the degree.
I trick to getting the glossy seal to engrave as it did is to first photocopy the degree in black and white and then scan it at 600 dpi. No reflection whatsoever.
Abdul

Vicky Orsini
03-04-2007, 11:30 AM
Hi Abdul. What's a "JYSK" store?

Abdul Baseer Hai
03-04-2007, 12:18 PM
Its a department store but I think its only in Canada
abdul

Vicky Orsini
03-04-2007, 12:29 PM
I'm in Ontario, and I'm not familiar with that name. Unless it's an acronym for something else that I'm just not grasping right now?

Abdul Baseer Hai
03-04-2007, 12:31 PM
Here is a link to their store locations
http://www.jysk.ca/en/stores/storesIndex.html

Abdul

Larry Bratton
03-04-2007, 8:08 PM
All
Here are some pitures of projects I have been doing. Note the beauty of cork.
I get this cork from the JYSK store. they sell it as placemats. $2.99 for a set of two
I got beautiful results when i engraved the degree.
I trick to getting the glossy seal to engrave as it did is to first photocopy the degree in black and white and then scan it at 600 dpi. No reflection whatsoever.
Abdul

Very nice work Abdul!! Thanks for sharing those with us.:)