PDA

View Full Version : Tinting with Artists Oil paints

Bob Johnson2
03-03-2007, 8:54 AM
Looking to tint some General Finishes Arm-R-Seal oil/urethane. I happen to have some of the oil paints around as opposed to Japan colors and am wondering if they are one and the same, or close enough where I can use the paints. I'd have to order the Japan color and really don't want to wait a week. Anyone ever try the paints?

Steve Schoene
03-03-2007, 9:02 AM
In general I think the answer is yes, you can use artist's oils though there are a few caveats. They should be better quality paints, not student grade, because the lower end paints may sometimes contain wax to provide consistency. I don't really know whether there would be enough wax to make any difference, but to be really safe... You should also check the light fastness of the pigment since some used in artists oils aren't very--though I don't really understand that since art is made to have a longer life than most furniture.

I would mix the paint with a small amount of finish and/or thinner rather than trying to stir in an inch squeezed directly from the tube.

John Huber
03-03-2007, 10:38 AM
I have tinted oil-based varnish several times with artist's oil colors (pigment). Here are some tips:

1. Mix them thoroughly. I was surprised at how slowly the pigment disperses in the varnish. It tends to stay in tiny, almost invisible, clumps that turn into dark streaks when brushed onto the wood.

2. Experiment. It doesn't take much pigment to substantially darken a finish. I measured pigment in 32nds of an inch in about a half ounce of varnish. Basswood has almost no grain and so is a good substrate for first experiments. It is available at most hobby stores.

3. It is not a stain. Because the pigment is dispersed in the varnish, it doesn't migrate into the wood pores as much as a stain. The tinted varnish is more like a wash coat and tends to obscure the figure rather than accentuate it.

4. Burnt Umber is a good choice for a walnut look. Burnt Sienna is more like mahogany. Lots of colors for lots of different looks.

Bob Johnson2
03-03-2007, 10:53 AM
Thanks Folks, it sounds like a go, I'll do some experimenting to get the right strength.

Bob

Rich Engelhardt
03-03-2007, 3:07 PM
Hello Bob,
Also - artist's oil colors can slow down the dry.
I always recommended using a few drops of Japan dryer to compensate.