PDA

View Full Version : scarf joint vs. butt joint

pete collins
03-02-2007, 9:12 PM
theres been debate at work between myself and others on which is better,worse or same. whats some opions on whats best to join to pieces of trim and why..crown,base,etc....i lean towards scarf at 30 degrees

Jim Becker
03-02-2007, 9:17 PM
A scarf joint is stronger due to it's nature...on the tapered portions, you have long grain to long grain connectivity for gluing. A butt joint has either cross grain or end-grain to end-grain, depending on the orientation of the joint. Scarf joints are commonly used to "extend" timber to longer lengths.

Ben Grunow
03-02-2007, 9:39 PM
Sounds like you (and I) are a carpenter working in homes not making furniture in a shop etc.. We use a 45 degree scarf since it affords more surface area and all joints in houses WILL eventually open up and the scarf means you have to be off to the side to see into the open joint rather than in the middle of the room (where people usually are) staring through your crown. It also allows you to nail through both pieces with several nails adding strength.

For the record, we put 2x blocking behind the drywall for all crowns and the same for joints in cornice work outdoors so joints are always nailed to solid wood and glued (yellow in side, gorilla or Geocel caulk outside).

You cant stop the movement and houses last longer than you will...if you do it right.

Per Swenson
03-02-2007, 11:57 PM
Exactly what Jim and Ben said..... except now.

Butt joint...cause I have a Domino.:D

Per