PDA

View Full Version : Walnut Cedar Chest

Mike Kelly
12-10-2003, 10:41 PM
John Miliunas said I needed to post this on the Power Tool Forum so here it is. I made this from plans in Woodsmith Issue #32. About the only changes I made were to use 1/2" solid walnut for the drawer bottoms and sections between the upper and lower frames. The plans called for masonite, but I couldn't do it. Except for some aromatic cedar strips in the bottom of the chest it is all Walnut. All of the hardware is solid brass, most of it with antique finish. I couldn't find the full mortise lock and lid stays with antique finish and didn't have the heart to mess them up. The exterior has four coats of gloss Varathane polyurethane. All interior surfaces have two coats of shellac sanded and two coats of sprayed on water based Minwax polyurethane. The Cedar has no finish. It is 43 7/8" wide, 18 5/8" deep at the base and 22" high. Most material is planed to 13/16". The drawer frames are 1/2" thick. Dovetail joinery was used on the box and drawers, front and rear. Tung and groove and mitered splines are used on the lower frame and upper frame. It took about three months of part time work to finish. I can only lift one end at a time so it is quite heavy.

Bruce Page
12-10-2003, 11:28 PM
Mike, I can only think of one word to describe your craftsmanship,

WOW!

Lloyd Robins
12-11-2003, 12:32 AM
Very Nice! Thank you for the posting.

Mike Evertsen
12-11-2003, 12:49 AM
I don't know why we post our work in the power tool forum but we do,,,,,
but that sure is pretty chest,,,

David Rose
12-11-2003, 3:47 AM
Mike, that is a beatiful chest! I like the "rail" around the top edge of the chest. Wife wants one of cherry. It will be my first time with cherry, being a walnut man myself. :) Yours is now printed to paper. We'll see if she changes her mind about the wood or parts of the design. :D Thanks for posting!

David

Kirk (KC) Constable
12-11-2003, 7:55 AM
That's just stunning, Mike. Excellent piece!

KC

Ron McNeil
12-11-2003, 8:05 AM
Mike, that chest is beauitful and the workmanship is outstanding. Great work. Thanks for sharing.

Tyler Howell
12-11-2003, 8:19 AM
Too nice. I give up! I'll never get there.

TJH

Jerry Todd
12-11-2003, 9:14 AM
Mike, The chest is FANTASTIC

Sparky Paessler
12-11-2003, 9:23 AM
OUTSTANDING WORK! Now that is really inspiring. I have been wanting to build one of those so thanks for posting the pictures. I will have to check out those plans. Great work and I love the walnut!

Byron Trantham
12-11-2003, 9:40 AM
What can I say that hasn't already been said?

Spectabulous!!!!

Kent Cori
12-11-2003, 10:04 AM
Mike,

This is just a truly wonderful chest. I think one of the things us dads like best about woodworking is being able to craft something like this for our daughters that will still be with them long after we're gone!

Great work!

Mike Kelly
12-11-2003, 10:28 AM
Mike, that is a beatiful chest! I like the "rail" around the top edge of the chest. Wife wants one of cherry. It will be my first time with cherry, being a walnut man myself. :) Yours is now printed to paper. We'll see if she changes her mind about the wood or parts of the design. :D Thanks for posting!

David

David, here is one I did for my daughter in 1999 out of Cherry. It is quite a bit darker now and the lighter color is not so noticeable.

John Scarpa
12-11-2003, 10:40 AM
WOW! That chest is really something.

Mike Johnson - Chicago
12-11-2003, 12:47 PM
Those are a pair to remember! Good looking work guys!

Jason Tuinstra
12-11-2003, 5:05 PM
Mike, outstanding work. Thanks for sharing.

Chris Padilla
12-11-2003, 5:44 PM
I think Mike will no longer fit through any of the door of his house with this kind of ego massaging!

So with that: "Mike, those chests stink! Can you say "Putty-ville?"

Chris :D

P.S. I hope I can do as 'poor' a job...in 10 or 15 or 20 or 25 years...or never! :p

Doug Littlejohn
12-11-2003, 5:47 PM
Wowsers!!! Really nice work and I LIKE the plan!!

Now about the statment, a 'Walnut' 'Cedar' chest just sounds orta funny :D :D

Thanks for sharing.

David Rose
12-11-2003, 6:18 PM
Mike, thanks for the cherry version too! Now we have something to really compare. I haven't taken the time to check out details. Is this the same pattern as your walnut chest?

David

Ken Wright
12-11-2003, 6:31 PM
That's a real fine job ... walnut looks great and really like the drawer base.

I'm just finishing up a cherry blanket chest ..... after seeing yours ... doubt that I'd have the nerve to post mine.

Jeff Ward
12-11-2003, 6:42 PM
That is outstanding. Kinda makes me worder if I will ever get to that quality of work. It is inspiring none the less.

Mark Valsi
12-11-2003, 6:43 PM
I WOULD SAY, 'WOW' BUT THAT'S ALREADY TAKEN

So I'll add

STUPENDOUS !!

Mike Sweat
12-11-2003, 7:13 PM
I have another adjective for you

GORGEOUS

Don Farr
12-11-2003, 8:00 PM
Mike, What can I say that has not been said. You are setting the bar to high for us beginners. In my humble opinion that is beyond words.
Fantastic!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ron Jones near Indy
12-11-2003, 8:09 PM
Another post that I hope SYMBO doesn't see. The project list is too long, way too long.

David Rose
12-11-2003, 9:08 PM
Ken, and Jeff, I look at the work of several of these guys as goals for my own. My design may not be as sound, my fit as good, or my finish as durable and smooth. But hey! about 4 years ago I had a bottle of Elmer's glue sitting on the shelf that was purchased 30 years ago. Literally. And that was the only wood glue (other than epoxy that I use in my business) that I owned. If I wanted to build something with wood, I broke out the claw hammer and nails. If it got a coat of paint, that was good. If the edges didn't hurt someone so much the better. When I notice that something I build is not quite "up to snuff" I look at how far I've come in 3+ years. And I look at the friends I've made while trying to learn this craft.

Post away! Most of the folks who post here are very complimentary. I am still a little nervous about asking for a critique on what I build, but posting is encouraging. I will be glad when I get that confident. I need a lot of help! And that is why many of us are here. Come to think of it, most of the ones here who are real craftsmen come up with questions from time to time. It's a great bunch of folks and a good place to receive knowledge and encouragement.

David

Todd Burch
12-12-2003, 9:23 AM
Mike, that is a real nice chest. Thanks for posting. Todd.

Dave Smith
12-12-2003, 11:41 AM
Exceptional quality
Hi Mike,

Thank you for sharing the pictures of your work. I agree with your comments about masonite. There is no place for it in this heirloom piece. Thanks for adding the details of construction and finish.

Dave Smith

And I thought I was a wood worker in Longview, WA.

Mike Kelly
12-12-2003, 7:40 PM
Mike, thanks for the cherry version too! Now we have something to really compare. I haven't taken the time to check out details. Is this the same pattern as your walnut chest?

David

Yes, it is the same plan David. Good luck with it.