PDA

View Full Version : John Harts Wood

Bernie Weishapl
03-02-2007, 7:53 PM
Here is a NE bowl out of cherry. It is the wood I got that John Hart is offering. I turned it from start to finish down to just a little over a 1/8" thick. I then took it in and microwaved it before the LOML came home. Just made it to. It is 8 1/2" X 7 1/2" X 2 1/2" high. It has one coat of Antique Danish Oil. Will give it another one in 3 or 4 hours when it is dry. Thanks John. I also roughed a walnut bowl and it is in the DNA.

mike fuson
03-02-2007, 8:01 PM
Nice job Bernie, at just under an 1/8 thick.......good job at keeping the bark

John Hart
03-02-2007, 8:09 PM
Hey...that turned out pretty nice Bernie. I gotta try me one of those.;)

Nukin' looks like a decent way to go. I've never done it on a bowl before.

Jeff Moffett
03-02-2007, 9:10 PM
Very nice, Bernie. Another box of Hart blanks is headed to the other side of Kansas right now. My box is supposed to contain "self turning blanks". According to John, all I have to do is mount them on the lathe and they'll turn themselves into something purdy. I hope it works so I can show off something as nice as your NE. ;)

Bernie Weishapl
03-02-2007, 9:43 PM
Hey...that turned out pretty nice Bernie. I gotta try me one of those.;)

Nukin' looks like a decent way to go. I've never done it on a bowl before.

John I ran it thru several defrost cycles. After each cycle I would let it cool. Then do it again. It did go slightly out of round but really not as bad as I thought it would.

Jeff you must have bought the box I asked for. I wanted the self turning box but John told me someone beat me to it. ;):rolleyes::p

Keith Burns
03-02-2007, 10:22 PM
Great NE Bernie !!! !/8" is pretty dang thin, great job !!:) :)

Yup John is on my list !!:eek:

Ken Fitzgerald
03-02-2007, 10:24 PM
Very nice, Bernie. Another box of Hart blanks is headed to the other side of Kansas right now. My box is supposed to contain "self turning blanks". According to John, all I have to do is mount them on the lathe and they'll turn themselves into something purdy. I hope it works so I can show off something as nice as your NE. ;)

That John will say anything to sell a box of blanks.....He's trying to drum up the cash to buy a couple of horsies for those daughters of his!:eek: ;) :D

Ken Fitzgerald
03-02-2007, 10:25 PM
Very well done Bernie! Great looking bowl. I really like the color that fruitwoods produce!

John Hart
03-02-2007, 10:40 PM
That John will say anything to sell a box of blanks.....He's trying to drum up the cash to buy a couple of horsies for those daughters of his!:eek: ;) :D

Neigh Neigh!!! If I get horses....it'll be draft horses. I'm falling in love with those animals. they like to plow snow!:D

I'm on Keith's list!!!:eek: :D

Ken Fitzgerald
03-02-2007, 10:48 PM
I'm on Keith's list!!!:eek: :D

I'd say you were in good company John......but I just made Keith's list too!:rolleyes:

Corey Hallagan
03-02-2007, 11:16 PM
Nice work buddy! That's a great looking NE!

corey

Dennis Peacock
03-02-2007, 11:23 PM
Wow Bernie!!!! Looks great to me. Wonderful form and I love the rim on that baby. Great job!!! :D

Barry Stratton
03-03-2007, 3:30 AM
Great job Bernie! Can't beat that, thin and pretty!

Glenn Hodges
03-03-2007, 8:43 AM
You did a fine job with this one.

Bernie Weishapl
03-03-2007, 10:32 AM
Thanks everyone. It was a lot of fun and when I decided I would take it from green to finish I wasn't sure but after taking it down then using the microwave it did turn out pretty well. It is still a little out of round but not bad. I am going to start a new thread on these as I have a question about them.

Dale Gregory
03-03-2007, 4:46 PM
Looks great Bernie! A couple of questions for us newbys!

- I've never done a NE before, I'm assuming you do the bowl face work using the end grain (opposite regular bowls) correct?

- Did it warp like that in the microwave? Pretty cool shape if you ask me!

- Is there a particular type of wood that works best for NE's (likes to stay on)?

Dale

Bernie Weishapl
03-03-2007, 4:55 PM
Looks great Bernie! A couple of questions for us newbys!

- I've never done a NE before, I'm assuming you do the bowl face work using the end grain (opposite regular bowls) correct?

- Did it warp like that in the microwave? Pretty cool shape if you ask me!

- Is there a particular type of wood that works best for NE's (likes to stay on)?

Dale

Well Dale to tell you the truth I am not a expert but yes you turn the bowl with a faceplate on the bark side. I then form the tenon and the bottom and outside of the bowl. Then turn it around chuck it up on the tenon and finish the inside of the bowl as usual with some precautions of watching where your figures are. I then took it off and ran it thru several cycles of defrost in the microwave letting it cool down inbetween. It did move a little as you can see but not as much as you think.

I think any wood can be made into a NE. Fruit wood to me is pretty prone to cracking and that is why I thought I would experiment and see if I could microwave it and stop that. Not to bad.

I am going to post a mesquite NE bowl now with a little thicker walls because it is a more stable wood. Mesquite you can turn from full green to finish and it doesn't move or at least it hasn't on me yet. Hope this helps Dale.

Tom Sherman
03-03-2007, 8:40 PM
That's a nice looking bowl Bernie, looks like you're joining the ranks of NE experts with this one.