PDA

View Full Version : Help!! Lou Sansone,Calvin Hobbs, Rick DeRoque, Carl Eyman,et al

Jerry Olexa
03-02-2007, 6:46 PM
Gentlemen: I couldn't list all of you in the title but I have been recently inspired by several of your projects (most recent is Lou's 3 legged Pie table-Love those legs and the DT joint). I have been searching for books/plans on period furniture (18th century,traditional, etc) for the next project with limited results. Ordered a book today by Gottshall via Amazon but haven't found much else there or Google,etc. I'm aware of Glen Huey and have one of his books and Taunton has several older ones. I've seen your outstanding work guys, and I'm curious where are you getting your plans, ideas, etc. I have built several pieces without plans but on this type furniture more specific direction is needed (at least for a DOLT like me!:) ). Thanks in advance. I look forward to your suggestions...:)

Cody Colston
03-02-2007, 6:51 PM
Jerry,

That's everything I've always wanted to know but was afraid to ask. :rolleyes:

Seriously, I too have become interested in period furniture and would appreciate some sources for plans, pictures and even technique if they exist.

Todd Solomon
03-02-2007, 7:14 PM
Jerry, I don't claim to have the experience that Lou and the others you mentioned have, but I'll throw in my $.02:

I don't know which Glen Huey book(s) you have, but the best 18th century plans I've ever seen is "Glen Huey's Illustrated Guide to Building Period Furniture." I own a bunch of other books, but Glen happens to have the same taste that I do. I love his project choices, the designs are very pleasing to my eye, and true to their roots. And he goes into great detail on the construction, more than any other author I've seen. This book is top notch for period furniture:

http://www.amazon.com/Hueys-Illustrated-Building-Period-Furniture/dp/1558707700/ref=pd_bbs_1/103-3679351-0021403?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1172880289&sr=1-1

My other favorite is the video, "Carve a Ball and Claw Foot," by Phil Lowe. This book gives step-by-step instruction, including carving tool choice. Just fantastic. I used this video to learn to carve a prototype ball and claw. I feel I'm ready to take on a nice low-boy project.

http://www.amazon.com/Carve-Ball-Claw-Foot-Phil/dp/6301918770/ref=sr_1_1/103-3679351-0021403?ie=UTF8&s=video&qid=1172880616&sr=1-1

Todd

"Gary Brewer"
03-02-2007, 7:48 PM
Hi Jerry: I am just a rookie at this but some people who do know what they are doing recommended to me a book that they say is the reference they use for 18th century furniture. It is "American Furniture of the 18th Century" by Jeffrey P. Greene, Publisher Taunton Press, ISBN 1-56158-104-6
I bought a new copy at a website that has been good for getting reduced prices on books: http://www.alibris.com/search/search.cfm
type in the ISBN number and it will list available copies and the price. Alibris represents hundreds of book stores.
It is a very impressive book. FYI
Gary

Ralph Dobbertin
03-02-2007, 7:54 PM
http://www.oldemill.com/pub-drawings.html

This is a good place to get a decent picture book on how to carve a ball and claw as well as plans for a Lowboy. The Highboy plans are being prepped but still unavailable as far as I know. Gene also runs classes for those who can get out to see him.

hope this helps

lou sansone
03-02-2007, 8:50 PM
hi jerry
good books all mentioned. dover publishers and fox chapel also have a lot of good books. I make use of them. I like to always check the best examples of what ever particular piece I am making. places I turn are Israel sack fine points of furniture and Wallace nutting furniture treasury 2 volume set. Norman vandal's book queen Ann furniture is one of the best. tall case clocks are tough to find decent prints on. what I often do is to find books that have prints on a basic piece ( say a clock ) and then find the clock I want to build in a museum or a magazine and then use those best practices to design the piece. Thanks for the complements and don't worry about doing these pieces, they are not that hard, just be patient and double check your work. I often make a mock up of a difficult part of the project, rather then try it the first time on the real piece I am working on.

lou

Calvin Hobbs
03-02-2007, 9:13 PM
Jerry,

Like Lou said, period projects are not too hard. You just have to break down the steps. I always want to skip to the end....

As far as books, I agree with Lou again, Vandal's book is one of the best on how to build and the lines and details are very good. I don't love Gottshall, although the techniques in his books are good to learn. The Greene book is very good also. Nuttings Furniture Treasury, the first 2 are great for pictorial reference, but Vol 3 is a great reference and is by far my favorite of the 3. Lester Margon's "Construction of American Furniture Treasures" is excellent. Look up Salomonsky's book "Masterpieces of Am. Furn. for good drawings." This list could go on and on.

All the above books are great How-to's but I much prefer the Museum catalogs that are out there, usually produced by a particular museum. These can get expensive but I always scan ebay, etc. and have found a bunch. It would take too long to list my favorites, but these books are where I find the pieces I want to reproduce, and them attempt to copy aspects or details I find in the books. I currently am making 2 easy chairs from the "Furniture of Charleston" by MESDA.

I think other period furnituremakers will agree that there is no substitute for seeing the best pieces in person. In the midwest like we are there is not that much. You being in Ill., try to look up the Chipstone collection in Wisconsin, I would love to go there sometime.

This is a subject my wife would like me to shut up about sometimes... ha ha.... or at least stop showing her pictures of chairs that "all look alike!"

Lastly, I have seen your pieces, no more self deprecation, your work speaks for itself.

Cal

Lars Thomas
03-02-2007, 9:53 PM
That's my favorite too. This is from Lester's book. Lars

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=861

Lester Margon's "Construction of American Furniture Treasures" is excellent. l

Rick de Roque
03-03-2007, 1:51 AM
Thanks for the mention. I'm sure not in their league but thanks all the same.
Many good books and sources have been mentioned. I would add Lonnie Birds books and articles. I like his work and many of his methods. Also Mack Headley in Colonial Williamsburg. Like this article:

http://www.taunton.com/finewoodworking/FWNPDF/011043077.pdf

Rick

lou sansone
03-03-2007, 4:43 AM
calvin's right about volume 3 of nutting's book. a great reference
lou

Rob Millard
03-03-2007, 7:12 AM
Jerry,
I have only rarely built a piece from plans; instead I work from photos in books and use period joinery details.

I have a great weakness for books and have quite a stack of them. Below are some of my favorites.
American Furniture of the 18th Century by Jeffery P. Green ISBN 1-56158-104-6. This is the best single book on the how to of period furniture I have seen.

Queen Anne Furniture by Norman Vandal ISBN 0-942391-07-1. Very good sections on the making of cabriole legs.

Southern Furniture at Williamsburg by Ronald L. Hurst and Jonathan Prown ISBN 0-87935-200-0. Some the furniture in this book is downright crude, but like many museum catalogs it gives valuable construction details, although they are written in a rather cryptic way.

American Tables and Looking Glasses, by David L. Barquist ISBN 0-300-05240-5. Has an excellent section on Federal Card Tables ( a favorite subject of mine) , that is nearly as detailed as the much more expensive Work of Many Hands.

American Case Furniture by Gerald W.R. Ward ISBN 0-300-03357-5 . Much like the above book.

John Townsend Newport Cabinetmaker by Morrison Heckscher ISBN 1-58839-145-0. A nicely priced book on Newport furniture that compares favorably with the very expensive ($1000) Master Craftsman of Newport.

The Furniture Masterworks of John and Thomas Seymour by Robert Mussey Jr. ISBN 0-88389-126-3. Simply the best book I own.

Treasures of State by Clement E. Conger and Alexandra W. Rollins.
ISBN 0-8109-3911-8. Many excellent photos of the best of the best in period furniture, but a little light on construction details.

The Furniture of Charleston 1680-1820 by Bradford L Rauschenberg and John Bivins Jr. ISBN 0-945578-05-9. The first two volumes of the expensive set are excellent with many high quality photos showing details of the construction. The third volume for me was kind of a throw away.

New England Furniture at Wintherthur, Queen Anne and Chippendale Periods, by Nancy E. Richards and Nancy Goyne Evans. ISBN 0-912724-38-2. Nice details of the construction.

Masterpieces of Americana ISBN 0-96225-881-4. A small book with few details but great pictures.

American Furniture The Queen Anne and Chippendale Periods by Joseph Downs. I have the original print, but the reprints are still available. Not much in the way of details but a good book none the less.

American Furniture of the Federal Period by Charles Montgomery. Like the above book it is available as a reprint. Has good drawings of inlays.

American Furniture at Chipstone by Rodriguez Roque ISBN 0-299-09760-9. A decent book that usally be found cheap.

American Furniture in the Metropolitan Museum of Art, the late Colonial Period. ISBN 0-87099-427-1. Fantastic photos of carving details.

The 10 volume set of books about the furniture in the Israel Sack Collection, and the 2 books by Albert Sack.

Back Issues of the Magazine Antiques. Especially the May issues starting in 1973, which focus on American Furniture. These can be found on Ebay.
Rob Millard
www.americanfederalperiod.com (http://www.americanfederalperiod.com)

Joel Ficke
03-03-2007, 8:33 AM
Jerry,

Most of the thoughts posted here are good. For sure go see the Chipstone collection -- I'm headed there soon myself to measure up a small table and Cadwalader chair. Books also are good, but it's tough to reproduce from a photo without seeing the piece in person.

Anyway, where my thoughts vary from the others is that building early American furniture can be a slippery slope just like hand tools. You may start innocent enough, but eventually you'll want to know exactly how the original went together and then build, carve and finish just like the 18th century folks -- the quest for this type of knowledge can really overtake you. Soon auction catalogs start showing up at your door, specialty hand tools, more carving tools than your spouse ever knew existed, and one day you're even wearing a pair of knickers. Enjoy!

Anyway, IMO if you really want to get up the learning curve quickly, consider taking a class or two from Gene Landon at Oldemill Cabinet Shoppe in York, PA. There's just so many little details to learn, that on your own it would take a lifetime. York is a haul for us mid-westerners, but well worth it. You'll become a furniture snob in no time :)

Jerry Olexa
03-03-2007, 9:54 AM
Wow!!! I am blown away by the depth and knowledge shown in your responses. Already, I have learned much more here than in many hours searching Google and Amazon. You ALL are answering my questions and THANK YOU... I think it is a highly specialized field that doen't appeal to the "mass Market" and therefore info is limited and harder to find. Your valuable experience shows through in giving me direction. IMHO, it is not hammer and nail WWing but careful craftmanship requiring skill, patience,knowledge and precision. All of your results (there are many other names I could add to the list e.g., the Hobbs, David Rose, Lars etc) show these traits. Thanks for taking the time to respond, I plan to try your links and ideas after this and order some books. Maybe even a trip to Wisconsin in the Spring. Thanks guys. You're a good and talented group. I respect your work...

Jerry Olexa
03-03-2007, 9:56 AM
Jerry, I don't claim to have the experience that Lou and the others you mentioned have, but I'll throw in my $.02:

I don't know which Glen Huey book(s) you have, but the best 18th century plans I've ever seen is "Glen Huey's Illustrated Guide to Building Period Furniture." I own a bunch of other books, but Glen happens to have the same taste that I do. I love his project choices, the designs are very pleasing to my eye, and true to their roots. And he goes into great detail on the construction, more than any other author I've seen. This book is top notch for period furniture:

http://www.amazon.com/Hueys-Illustrated-Building-Period-Furniture/dp/1558707700/ref=pd_bbs_1/103-3679351-0021403?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1172880289&sr=1-1

My other favorite is the video, "Carve a Ball and Claw Foot," by Phil Lowe. This book gives step-by-step instruction, including carving tool choice. Just fantastic. I used this video to learn to carve a prototype ball and claw. I feel I'm ready to take on a nice low-boy project.

http://www.amazon.com/Carve-Ball-Claw-Foot-Phil/dp/6301918770/ref=sr_1_1/103-3679351-0021403?ie=UTF8&s=video&qid=1172880616&sr=1-1

Todd

Thanks Todd. I have his book "fine furniture for a lifetime". I like his approach also. Good detail.

Jerry Olexa
03-03-2007, 10:06 AM
hi jerry
good books all mentioned. dover publishers and fox chapel also have a lot of good books. I make use of them. I like to always check the best examples of what ever particular piece I am making. places I turn are Israel sack fine points of furniture and Wallace nutting furniture treasury 2 volume set. Norman vandal's book queen Ann furniture is one of the best. tall case clocks are tough to find decent prints on. what I often do is to find books that have prints on a basic piece ( say a clock ) and then find the clock I want to build in a museum or a magazine and then use those best practices to design the piece. Thanks for the complements and don't worry about doing these pieces, they are not that hard, just be patient and double check your work. I often make a mock up of a difficult part of the project, rather then try it the first time on the real piece I am working on.

lou

Thanks , Lou. I love your most recent piece. I'll put your advice to use once I finish the replies. You have much WWing talent..

Rick Gibson
03-03-2007, 10:08 AM
Gerry before you spend your money on the book check your local library. I did a quick search at mine and many of the books listed in the thread are there or available. I'll often do that first then if the book has what I want or need then I buy it. Our library is on line so I can do a search for a book or author from home then order the book They call me when it's in.

Jerry Olexa
03-03-2007, 10:11 AM
Jerry,

I think other period furnituremakers will agree that there is no substitute for seeing the best pieces in person. In the midwest like we are there is not that much. You being in Ill., try to look up the Chipstone collection in Wisconsin, I would love to go there sometime.

Cal

Thanks, Calvin. Good advice and some humor from your wife. Mine would say the same although she "likes" the
furniture I rough out. I'll try to get to see Chipstone when the weather eases up. Maybe even take my resident critic (LOML) with me. Grateful for your thoughts..

Jerry Olexa
03-03-2007, 10:16 AM
That's my favorite too. This is from Lester's book. Lars

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=861

Lars, I had no idea. That post (2003)was before I was a member here. I knew you did high quality work but didn't know you were also a "closet" period guy. :) That 3 legged table you did is excellent (probably my next project) Thanks for your note.

Jerry Olexa
03-03-2007, 10:19 AM
Jerry,
I have only rarely built a piece from plans; instead I work from photos in books and use period joinery details.

I have a great weakness for books and have quite a stack of them. Below are some of my favorites.

Rob, THANK YOU, THANK YOU. You've given me a wealth of knowledge. I'll study and use as a guide as I plunge in these new waters. Very grateful...

Jerry Olexa
03-03-2007, 10:23 AM
Gerry before you spend your money on the book check your local library. I did a quick search at mine and many of the books listed in the thread are there or available. I'll often do that first then if the book has what I want or need then I buy it. Our library is on line so I can do a search for a book or author from home then order the book They call me when it's in.

Funny, Rick, I went to the local library yesterday for the same reason in a mini snow storm and they were closed for renovation. Borders and B&N weren't much better. This thread has provided the most knowledge...Thanks. The slippery slope approaches:)

rob nolin
03-03-2007, 10:27 AM
didn't read all the posts and this may be redundant.
my local govt would rather spend money on a park with no accessability then spend the money for new books in my local library.
hence, our library has a whole bunch of older stuff in the antiques section. also try in the folk craft section.
also it my be in a group and you can get from other libraries in the group.
worth a shot

Calvin Hobbs
03-03-2007, 12:11 PM
I do love the library, and once I got interested I read whatever I could find from several local branches. Another note as far as libraries, try interlibrary loan, it has worked for me.

I have requested "Master Craftsmen of Newport" and "The Furniture of Coastal North Carolina" and received them within a few days. Both of these books can be over $1000 these days.

This is pretty necessary because the local libraries can be hit or miss. Within a few months of collecting you can have more references than you can find at most local libraries.

By the way, my favorite museum catalog is "Treasures of State" that Rob mentioned. Last week my Dad, my brother and I toured the Diplomatic Reception rooms at the State Dept. in Washington, D.C. It was a little dizzying to see all of those masterpieces up close. Free tour, too.

Cal

Jerry Olexa
03-04-2007, 4:56 PM
Plunged in the waters today. :) Found some of the books are a bit pricey but today ordered 2 books, one by Lester Margon and another by Jeff Greene. Found a few via the net that are available @ my local library!!A few books are difficult to find. Before this thread, I had also ordered a book by Gottshall. So, the rookie moves ahead:) . Again, sincere THANKS to all of you. I'll try to keep you updated as I go deeper...Now, where's that chisel:D

Carl Eyman
03-05-2007, 8:40 AM
To be included in that group is an honor, indeed. I feel as though FWW had included a piece of mine in their Master Works section. If you are looking for help on cabriole legs, ball & claw feet, and a pedestal, Ron Clarkson and a partner wrote a book devoted to a pie crust tip-top table. From it I took the legs for my dining table. I recommend this book because the whole book is just on this table. It has 400 pictures; so you can see it is higly detailed. Included is the method of cutting the dovetails for fastening the leg.

I have an extra copy of the book which you may borrow, if you wish. I know some of the other book references mentioned and agree they are great, but the unique thing about Clarkson's is the extreme step-by-step detail.

Jerry Olexa
03-05-2007, 12:49 PM
[quote=Carl Eyman]To be included in that group is an honor, indeed. I feel as though FWW had included a piece of mine in their Master Works section.

Carl: you were included because you deserve it!!! You have done some exceptional work IMHO!!! Thanks for your tips..Keep producing those beautiful, heirloom pieces!