PDA

View Full Version : Red Oak

George Tokarev
03-02-2007, 6:17 PM
This came from a 4' butt chunk that was about 2-2.5 feet across, and had been down on the ground for six years, since the "big storm" of 2000. Hacked a half-dozen chunks out of the thing, including this one, which had a couple of radial checks that came through the rotten sapwood.

14.5 x 4.5 with first coat of oil drying. Couple pieces have already gone out, first to the landowner, second to a regular customer. I like the double curve, even though it came mostly of necessity to avoid the checks. It was my morning warm-up between the first plowing of 14" and the second of 8." And to think, ten days ago the snow had melted almost enough to reveal some stuff I didn't get 'round to roughing last fall. How'd you do, Steve?

Steve Schlumpf
03-02-2007, 6:46 PM
George, I like your bowl alot! Really nice form and great color!

As far as snow - about the same here. Had about 14" early this afternoon and a couple of hours later I went back out and removed about 4". It's close to 7 pm and have at least 4" more inches on the ground and lake effect seems to have arrived.

Ken Fitzgerald
03-02-2007, 7:50 PM
George....I like the form and the figure and color of the wood is stunning to me!

John Hart
03-02-2007, 11:51 PM
yup...great looking piece. The form looks intentional....and I like it!

It warmed up enough today to show some grass. still have knee deep drifts though. 'sposed to dump some more tonight.

Stephen Hibbs
03-02-2007, 11:55 PM
Nice bowl, I like the form as it goes well with the wood. It got fairly cold over here too today, though no snow. I even had to wear a sweater until lunchtime. I think it may have dropped all the way into the 50's in the morning :D

Bernie Weishapl
03-03-2007, 10:39 AM
George that is one nice bowl. I love the wood and the form. Nice job.

Corey Hallagan
03-03-2007, 10:50 AM
Great looking bowl George!

Corey