PDA

View Full Version : Used Tools

Gregg Feldstone
03-02-2007, 5:32 PM
Can anyone recommed a good source for high quality used turning tools and chucks?

Dario Octaviano
03-02-2007, 5:48 PM
Hardly do I see them but check craigslist, garage sale, estate sale, flea market, etc. It is a long shot though.

I would just go to HF, Grizzly, PSI, etc and buy some of the good bargain tools offered.

Kevin McPeek
03-02-2007, 5:50 PM
You [I] don't see a lot of "good" used tools and chucks, a lot of people tend to hang on to the old even when we upgrade. That said I'd watch the big E', Craigslist and the classifieds on here.

Bernie Weishapl
03-02-2007, 6:01 PM
I agree with Dario. You won't see much in the way of good stuff being sold. They aren't going to spend big bucks for the good stuff to turn around and sell it. When I started a year ago I went to Penn State Industries and bought some tools. Personally I wouldn't buy sets because some of the tools just lay there and never get used. I would get a 3/8" & 1/2" spindle and bowl gouges, a big hefty scraper, a thin and thick parting tool. I have got over 20 tools and those are my go to tools. I think I got all of the above for under $100. At least learn with them if you screw one of those up sharpening it is better than a $150 tool. As far as chucks I started with a Grizzly and I think it is around $42 to $45 now. In fact I have 3 of them and use them the most. Hope this helps.

Bill Wyko
03-02-2007, 7:05 PM
Harbor Freight has a set of tools for around 50 bucks. I couldn't tell you the quality but they would be ok for getting started I would think.:)

Larry Rupert
03-02-2007, 7:35 PM
FWIW, I have a set of Harbor Freight tools. I wouldn't knock them at all, they've been great for my learning to sharpen (got a ways to go...), I don't think I'd brag either though. Good middle of the road set. Larry

Ron Raymond
03-02-2007, 8:19 PM
There are 2 sets of turning tools at HF...one for $50 and the other for $36. I think cosmetics is the only difference, they're both HSS. I just got an email from PSI and they're having a Spring Cleaning sale on a small chuck with #1 and #2 jaws included for $60. Looks just like the Pinnacle set I got from WC and I really like it.