PDA

View Full Version : Post Pics of your Segmented Cutting Sled

Gilbert Vega
03-02-2007, 5:28 PM
I'm looking at getting into segmented turning and looking at building a cutting sled. Post pics of the sleds you use and whether the cutting angle on the sled should be adjustable or fixed. Thanks.

sascha gast
03-03-2007, 12:20 AM
I would build fixed sleds, adjustable is ok, but they are easy to make and just require a few parts.

Malcolm Tibbetts
03-03-2007, 1:57 AM
Gilbert, here are a couple of photos. One shows a table saw sled with a fixed fence at 11.25 degrees. The other photo shows a typical set-up using a 10" chop saw. I currently use a 12" sliding chop saw to cut the majority of my segments.

Gilbert Vega
03-03-2007, 2:05 AM
Thanks Malcolm, I have long admired your work.
I thought about using my sliding saw but was worried about the quality of the cut as compared to the table saw. What blade do you use? I have the original Dewalt blade and am not happy with the cut. I plan on buying your book for additional help. Thanks again.

Gilbert

Malcolm Tibbetts
03-03-2007, 11:25 AM
Gilbert, my current setup is a Ridgid 12" saw with a Ridgid 100-tooth blade. It produces a very smooth cut, but I still use a sanding jig on a disc sander whenever I'm gluing light-colored to light-colored wood together.

Bill Wyko
03-03-2007, 12:21 PM
Thats the exact same saw blade I use. I too still sand after the cut. It allows you to get to the exact decimal point in the dimention of the segment. Malcolm told me earlier that you should cut as close to the dimention as you can before you sand otherwise your sanding disc will load up quickly. The gluing time can be the biggest time consumer but it's worth the wait. It's important to let glue dry well otherwise it makes a mess of your tools. Here's a pic of my latest efforts. In addition heres a pic of my home made ring press.
P.S. Malcolm, I was wondering if you got my e-mail in regaurds to the speakers.

Stuart Johnson
03-03-2007, 12:54 PM
I use a Jointech Smart Miter. I've found using very consistent pressure and speed helps in making accruate cuts.

Malcolm Tibbetts
03-03-2007, 2:28 PM
P.S. Malcolm, I was wondering if you got my e-mail in regaurds to the speakers.

Bill, I've never received an email from you. Perhaps my spam filter knocked it out - just don't know. I would like to sometime discuss that project with you.

Bill Wyko
03-03-2007, 2:44 PM
If you like you can call me at 520-624-2000. I'd be happy to help in any way I can. I'm here 9:00 to 6:00 tuesday through friday and 10:00 to 4:00 saturdays. Outside of that time my number is 520-733-2533.