PDA

View Full Version : warp drive

TYLER WOOD
03-02-2007, 5:24 PM
I finally have picture of the platter I turned last weekend. It is a chunk of salvaged dunno elm, 13" diameter x 2", thickness is about 1/4". This piece was turned to hold chips and salsa (hey I'm in Texas, what else would it hold), but has now been relegated to being a candy dish. The thing has warped about 1/2" vertically and about 3/8" horizontally along one axis only. It has made a nice oval dish now. I am really pleased with it, and comments are welcomed. Finished with hand buffed wax, I did do a little bit of roughing it up witha screw covered with a sponge on the drill for a little bit of aged look.

George Tokarev
03-02-2007, 5:59 PM
Elm's always a mystery. Same-o yellow birch with the interlocked grain. There's internal tension there that defies normal warp. I think you've got a good utility item, but it looks right pretty on its own. Get lots of varnish cover in that salsa dish before you let the tomato juice hit it.

Bernie Weishapl
03-02-2007, 6:04 PM
Tyler that is a good looking platter. I just made a couple of those with marble in the middle. I finished mine with Seal-A-Cell and Arm-R-Seal. So far one is used as a cheese try the other for chips and dip. They seem to be holding up just fine. I like turning Elm but it likes to move a lot. Nice job Tyler.

Steve Schlumpf
03-02-2007, 6:48 PM
I like it Tyler - the warp gives it charactor!

Tom Sherman
03-03-2007, 8:10 PM
I agree that is a nice looking platter Tyler.

Bill Boehme
03-03-2007, 9:35 PM
Tyler,
Did you notice that the photo looking downward on the top makes it look like a sombrero. That means that it must be a salsa dish. Nice bowl -- could you take a side shot with the camera slightly above and angled down just a tiny bit to get a perspective of the rim as it would be seen when sitting on a table? That would add more three-dimensional perspective and I think that would help to show the warping more clearly. Warping is not necessarily bad -- if you true up the bottom and just feature the warping, it can add a lot of character, especially to something like a salsa and chips dish. I agree with George that varnish (or at least Salad Bowl finish) would work better unless you have decided for certain that it's destiny has been relegated to being a candy dish.

Bill

TYLER WOOD
03-05-2007, 3:14 PM
I did notice the sombrero semblance. And yes I love the warping on the piece. I had initially hoped that it would stay flat, but as the warp waged aginst me, I began to notice the beauty. My next platter will be of similar aged elm, maybe even same tree (not sure). I am giong to actually make it thinner than this one and hope for more warp and maybe some small cracks. I'll be able to get about a 16" plattter from that piece and it would look great on the wall with savage warp!!!!