PDA

View Full Version : Clamps, Clamps, and more Clamps - HELP!

Eric Porter
03-02-2007, 3:28 PM
I need help in choosing which f-style clamps to purchase. I already have more K-body and cabinetmaster's than I can justify, but I have been planning to purhase some f-style clamps and now I have two great deals to choose from.

Behind door #1 I have the Jet clamps currently on sale at Rockler.
LINKY (http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=17382)
- (2) 24" clamps
- (2) 12" clamps
- free shipping
- all for only $19.99

Behind door #2 I have the Columbian clamps on sale at Woodcraft tomorrow.
LINKY (http://www.woodcraft.com/family.aspx?familyid=20067&refcode=07IN02NL)
- (2) 18" clamps
- (2) 12" clamps
- (2) 8" clamps
- (2) 4" clamps
- spring clamps which I have no use for because I alreay have 1,001 of them
- on sale tomorrow for $14.99 plus tax

Which would you purchase based on quality versus price? I mainly need the larger clamps 12" and greater.

Thanks,
Eric

glenn bradley
03-02-2007, 3:44 PM
The Jet clamps at Rockler are equivalent to Jorgensen's light duty clamps. The larger Colombians are like Jorgie's medium duty clamps and the smaller are like the light duty versions. I have some of the Columbian style spring clamps and never use them favoring the 2: metal jobs that you can get at the BORG for a buck apiece. For larger spring clamps I use the HF 4" selected carefully.

The differences here are bar size. The light duty bar size come in handy for me. I have some Jorgie 4" and also some Bessy mighty-minis in 4" which are about the same without the clutch plates.

Anything longer than a 12" or so in the light duty get pretty springy under anything over a light pressure. I have medium duty in 18" and use them for quite a bit. For anything longer I use some heavy duty Jorgies or K-bodys.

So, after all that I would go with the Colombians even though you may never use the spring clamps. The Jets are too lightweight for their length for me. Your clamping needs may vary.

P.s. I learned awhile back that when there is a good price on clamps, buy double. In the past when I haven't I kick myself.

Dave Novak
03-02-2007, 3:51 PM
The Sumo-grip handle on the Jets are no good IMHO. I recently bought 10 Jet clamps because they were laying on a clearance table at the lumber yard I frequent. Luckily they didn't have more because I purposely bought all they had. So far 2 of the clamps are worthless because the grip just spins on the handle. They can't be tightened.

Wilbur Pan
03-02-2007, 4:30 PM
This is taking you out of the price range of the clamp sets you mentioned, but since you've already laid out good money for your Bessey/Jorgensen clamps, I'm going to assume you wouldn't mind paying extra for quality.

Take a look at Wetzler quick clamps (http://www.wetzler.com/quick.shtml). They are about $20-25 apiece in the 12-24" range, but they are built to last forever and function great. They will probably outlast your Besseys and Jorgensens.

As far as how they function -- Wetzlers are to regular F-clamps what Lie-Nielsen planes are to Anants.

Glen Blanchard
03-02-2007, 6:54 PM
The Sumo-grip handle on the Jets are no good IMHO. I recently bought 10 Jet clamps because they were laying on a clearance table at the lumber yard I frequent. Luckily they didn't have more because I purposely bought all they had. So far 2 of the clamps are worthless because the grip just spins on the handle. They can't be tightened.

Dave - I wonder if you got some lemons there. I must have at least 50 Columbian and Jet F-style clamps and have not had problem one. As a matter of fact, I find the Sumo Grip to be far easier to get really tight. Today, I just bought 6 of Jet's new parellel clamps - I chose these greatly due to the presence of the Sumo Grip.

Jeffrey Makiel
03-02-2007, 9:18 PM
I have an assortment of F-clamps from Bessey and Jorgensen. I recently snacked-up a set of the Columbian clamps from Woodcraft during a sale last December. I was so impressed with them, I ordered two more sets.

I find all three brands pretty good. I think it's just a matter of price now. No brand loyalty for me.

cheers, Jeff :)

jonathan snyder
03-03-2007, 1:27 AM
Eric,

Is there a code for free shipping with Rockler? Looks like a good deal on the jet clamps.

Thanks
Jonathan

Mike Shoemaker
03-03-2007, 1:46 AM
I also bought the Colunbian set in Dec. I like them well enough. The Rockler deal looks good too. But have never used these.