PDA

View Full Version : Wood cost

Craig D Peltier
03-02-2007, 3:23 PM
Hi I was nearly floored when I tallied up the cost of wood for two end tables. Poplar wood. 2.5 x 2.5 inch legs the rest 3/4 inch. I purchased @ the Home Depot.The wood was very clean an straight but was wondering if hardwoods at HD are a rip off compared to specialty hardwood stores.
I read something like that before, pine is cheap there but oak an poplar an others arent.I searched the forum but I saw no suggestions on where to buy wood for furniture.
Should I go to lumber yards?
Theres actually a great article by the editor in woodworking magazine called "fight termite barf" THe one on display till April 30th.Has a mirror on front. Talking about cost of custom furniture and the cost of china made furniture.We cant compete and dont plan on making much money from a custom furniture business.Its a funny article.
BTW the cost was $230. Without finishes, sand paper, an draw handles.

Chuck Schwab
03-02-2007, 3:40 PM
Out of curiousity I looked at woodcraft and they are selling Poplar @ about $3.75 BF. How much BF did you use for your tables? You can always look around online for wood. I know I found somewhere 20 BF of white oak for a little under $100 w/o delivery fees.

John Gregory
03-02-2007, 3:45 PM
I buy poplar for $2 per board foot right now. BUT I have to mill it up using a jointer and planer. The HD stuff is already milled to final dimension. That being said, it is not milled up as precisely as you could it with the right equipment.

glenn bradley
03-02-2007, 3:48 PM
I don't know about your geographical location but better woods are always cheaper and better quality at my lumber yard. The yard near me has been around since my dad was a little fella. They have two locations. The "new" one near me has been there since the '20s

Lee Schierer
03-02-2007, 3:49 PM
I buy F4S lumber from a local mill for about half the price of HD lumber and the selection and quality is better.

Tim Malyszko
03-02-2007, 4:02 PM
Back before I had a planer and jointer, I was buying s4s wood from the Big Box stores for somewhere in the neighborhood of $5-$10 per board foot depending on the wood. Now that I have the tools to properly prepare rough lumber, I buy all my wood at lumber yards in the rough.

For example, a 3/4"x6"x8' board of poplar at Lowe's would run me about $15.00 (approximately $5/bf). For $15 at one of the local lumberyards, I can buy 10 bf of poplar at $1.50/bf - over 3x more wood for the same price.

This is an extreme example since the place I buy rough lumber sells poplar very cheap, but for the most part, wood in the rough costs me 1/3-1/2 of what it would cost already surfaced at Lowe's or Home Depot.

Roy McQuay
03-02-2007, 4:08 PM
Hi Craig, I went through the same thing as you, as most of us probably have. You must start looking around on the internet as well as in your area. There may be sawmills near you where you can buy. I have bought some beautiful wood on ebay, but usually not the cheapest with shipping. I look on ebay for something with an appealing figure. I have done very well on woodplanet.com. You register and then post a request for wood and companies and individuals will contact you by email with an offer. Almost any place is better than HD.

Joe Kaufman
03-02-2007, 4:14 PM
As a price comparison, I purchased the following at an Anaheim, CA lumber yard yesterday.

4/4 soft maple SEL & BTR - milled = $3.52 bd. ft.
4/4 poplar FAS1F & BTR - milled = $1.77
4/4 red oak FAS1F & BTR - milled = $2.57

The quality of the poplar and oak is equal to HD or Lowes, and half the price. I didn't have to do much sorting to get 22BF of very nice quilted maple.

Joe

Chuck Schwab
03-02-2007, 4:20 PM
I have done very well on woodplanet.com. You register and then post a request for wood and companies and individuals will contact you by email with an offer.

This is a cool tip! I'll have to check it out next time I'm hunting for some wood. Thanks!

Roy McQuay
03-02-2007, 4:28 PM
This is a cool tip! I'll have to check it out next time I'm hunting for some wood. Thanks!Chuck, I don't know if it is close to you, but another member here tipped me on hollistersawmill.com It is 15 miles east of York, PA. That is close enough for me to check it out when I need wood again. Their prices look very good.

James Carmichael
03-02-2007, 4:55 PM
Craig,

Last time I looked at BORG poplar, it came to around $4pbf. I paid less than 1/2 that for 10/4 s2s FAS poplar from a hardwood dealer about 3 months ago.

If you've got a jointer and planer (or maybe even if you don't), you'll definitely do better going to a hardwood dealer. If you don't have a jointer & planer, you can still use S2S stock from a hardwood dealer, you'll just have to be real picky about your boards.

As for particle board pieces, I like the term "curbside furniture", because thats where it's destined to reside:D

glenn bradley
03-02-2007, 5:20 PM
Anaheim, hmmmm. Would that be Reel Lumber?

Craig D Peltier
03-02-2007, 5:24 PM
Out of curiousity I looked at woodcraft and they are selling Poplar @ about $3.75 BF. How much BF did you use for your tables? You can always look around online for wood. I know I found somewhere 20 BF of white oak for a little under $100 w/o delivery fees.

Home depot sells it by width an lengths. Like a 6x8 is 19.85 i.e.SO I dont really know how many BF I used.I bought the widths I needed.Like he legs were three glued up 3/4inch stacked by 4 footers.I think they were like 10 a piece.
Ill look at this woodcraft.
THX

Chuck Schwab
03-02-2007, 5:28 PM
Hi Roy!

Hollister saw mill is probably 20 min. drive from me. As much as I've looked for places I've never came across them. I'll need to check them out in the next week or 2. Not sure how close you are to them, but if you wanted me to check anything out for you when I go there, just let me know.

Thanks Roy!

Craig D Peltier
03-02-2007, 5:28 PM
I have put 3500 into my shop but havent put money on a joiner or planer.I think joiner will be first, actually dust collection too.So I guess I will have to shop more for now also look online.I always thought the shipping would be outrageous so i never looked.I have a Rockler around here they have amazing exotics.Thank you.

Back before I had a planer and jointer, I was buying s4s wood from the Big Box stores for somewhere in the neighborhood of $5-$10 per board foot depending on the wood. Now that I have the tools to properly prepare rough lumber, I buy all my wood at lumber yards in the rough.

For example, a 3/4"x6"x8' board of poplar at Lowe's would run me about $15.00 (approximately $5/bf). For $15 at one of the local lumberyards, I can buy 10 bf of poplar at $1.50/bf - over 3x more wood for the same price.

This is an extreme example since the place I buy rough lumber sells poplar very cheap, but for the most part, wood in the rough costs me 1/3-1/2 of what it would cost already surfaced at Lowe's or Home Depot.

Joe Kaufman
03-02-2007, 5:29 PM
Reel Lumber it is......

100 miles inland... PS / Indio area?

Craig D Peltier
03-02-2007, 5:31 PM
THanks, I have a chinook lumber but it seemd alot of it was out in the weather which scares me.Ill do some more searching and I bookmarked that site.

Hi Craig, I went through the same thing as you, as most of us probably have. You must start looking around on the internet as well as in your area. There may be sawmills near you where you can buy. I have bought some beautiful wood on ebay, but usually not the cheapest with shipping. I look on ebay for something with an appealing figure. I have done very well on woodplanet.com. You register and then post a request for wood and companies and individuals will contact you by email with an offer. Almost any place is better than HD.

Fred Voorhees
03-02-2007, 6:08 PM
Craig, the absolute worst thing you could do is purchase your wood at HD! Do that a couple of times and the extra money you spend there over buying it from a lumberyard or independant dealer could buy you a planer and jointer so that you could mill it yourself. By all means, find another source for your lumber stock.

Rick Moyer
03-02-2007, 6:28 PM
Home depot sells it by width an lengths. Like a 6x8 is 19.85 i.e.SO I dont really know how many BF I used.I bought the widths I needed.Like he legs were three glued up 3/4inch stacked by 4 footers.I think they were like 10 a piece.
Ill look at this woodcraft.
THX
Craig, board feet is length X width X thickness (all in inches)divided by 144. for example: a 1X6 8' long would be 1x6x96=576 576/144=4 BF.
An easier way to look at it is if your x-section is 12 (2x6,1x12,etc.) BF is the actual length in feet. If the x-section is 1/2 of 12 (1x6) BF is 1/2 the length, 1/3 (1x4,2x2) 1/3 the length, 1/4 (1x4) 1/4 the length, etc.

Craig D Peltier
03-02-2007, 6:37 PM
Very nice thanks, my brain hurts. I can barely answer questions on that show "Are you smarter than a 5th grader" LOL:D
Craig, board feet is length X width X thickness (all in inches)divided by 144. for example: a 1X6 8' long would be 1x6x96=576 576/144=4 BF.
An easier way to look at it is if your x-section is 12 (2x6,1x12,etc.) BF is the actual length in feet. If the x-section is 1/2 of 12 (1x6) BF is 1/2 the length, 1/3 (1x4,2x2) 1/3 the length, 1/4 (1x4) 1/4 the length, etc.

Nancy Laird
03-02-2007, 6:54 PM
Craig, if you are anywhere in or near West Tennessee, I can recommend a couple of sawmills for maple and oak. Not sure if they carry poplar, but you can always ask.

If you are on the West Coast, there is a chain called Lumber Products (based in Oregon) that provides lots of nice lumber.

Stay away from the BORGs to buy--they are a ripoff for furniture-grade lumber, IMHO.

Nancy

Eric Mims
03-02-2007, 8:00 PM
I think I calculated red oak at my local Home Depot at over $7/bf and I bought some air dried white oak at a local sawmill (kinda place you would *never* stumble upon) for $.80/bf. No contest.

Roy McQuay
03-02-2007, 8:15 PM
Hi Roy!

Hollister saw mill is probably 20 min. drive from me. As much as I've looked for places I've never came across them. I'll need to check them out in the next week or 2. Not sure how close you are to them, but if you wanted me to check anything out for you when I go there, just let me know.

Thanks Roy!I just bought 250 bd ft of curly maple and 350 bd ft of white oak, in January, so I don't have room for more right now. I have visited Hearne's Hardwoods in PA off rt 1 in Knottingham, which is about 60 miles for me. I figure Hollister is about the same distance. Thanks

Craig D Peltier
03-02-2007, 8:17 PM
Thanks im in Seattle.I will look up that west coast company.

Craig, if you are anywhere in or near West Tennessee, I can recommend a couple of sawmills for maple and oak. Not sure if they carry poplar, but you can always ask.

If you are on the West Coast, there is a chain called Lumber Products (based in Oregon) that provides lots of nice lumber.

Stay away from the BORGs to buy--they are a ripoff for furniture-grade lumber, IMHO.

Nancy

Jon Knauft
03-02-2007, 9:01 PM
Over the years some of the best buys I've gotten have been at local auctions. About 6 times a year there have been auctions including large amounts of lumber. Last year I missed out on 500 board feet of black walnut that went for $200. Thats what I get for stopping at Starbucks! I did score on some cherry during an auction where there were auction lots that had 2,000+ board feet of 5/4 cherry that went for under $1,000. Keep your eyes open and check the local papers as well.

-Jon

Gene DiNardo
03-02-2007, 9:30 PM
Craig,
Do a search for "Wood Finder"
You type in your zip code and the provide links to the
10 or so closest places within so many miles.
Also, I have purchased wood from "Internet Lumber" and
have not been dissapointed yet.

Happy woodworking
Gene

Peter Lyon
03-02-2007, 10:28 PM
Craig,

You might want to try Crosscut Lumber on 1st ave. S. just south of the west Seattle highway. And I'm sure there's at least a dozen other places in the greater Seattle/King Co. area that can beat Home Depot too.

Personally, I get most of my hardwoods in Tacoma at Architectual Woods. I believe I paid around $2/bf last time I was there. FWIW, Architectual Woods is probably 5x the size of Crosscut and Crosscut has probably 25x the selection of Rocklear.

Ian Abraham
03-02-2007, 11:21 PM
When you buy wood from the borg, you are effectivly paying full retail price :eek:
Now, the further you go back up the chain toward the tree the cheaper it's going to be ;) As the guys have suggested a proper lumber yard or even better, an actual sawmill where they are cutting the wood will get you a wholesale price :)

Downside of this is, they aren't retail shops, they will want to sell you a decent amount of lumber, and they wont want to putz around with you while you pick out the boards that are exactly the right colour and grain. You will get a better reception if you just roll up and say 'give me 250bdft of bla bla, grade xx' As long as it's a reputable yard, thats what you will get. Then take your haul home and sort out what you have. As you got twice as much as if you bought it retail you can sort it out, grain and colour match etc. And as it hasn't been picked through by the previous 50 customers there should be some top quality stuff in there, and of course some that just scrapes into that grading.

Another thing to consider (if you have space and time) is to make contact with a portable (or small) sawmill owner. They can probably hook you up with green 'log run' wood for maybe $1 bd ft straight off the saw. Means you have to dry it yourself, then grade it ( you will gets a mix of all grades in log run) and machine it before use. Again, he wont be set up for retail sales, and wont want to spend an hour selling you $20 of boards. But if you can buy a pickup load for a fair price, then it's a good deal for both of you :) .

BTW I have never paid for wood, but I sure have sweated a bit getting the 'free' stuff. And if someone wants to buy some of my nice clear boards, they are $3 bdft, I know exactly how much time and effort went in getting them from a tree into a stack of dry boards. :D

Cheers

Ian

Dennis Peacock
03-02-2007, 11:34 PM
Wood prices vary greatly based upon your location in the world. For me, poplar is $1.30 bdft, white oak is $1.39 bdft and I'm in shock if I pay more that $3 bdft for any species from my local supplier.

Shop around and you'll find better deals on wood that at the BB stores.

Ted Miller
03-02-2007, 11:43 PM
That is the only thing I can say I miss about living back in the midwest, lumber cost, here in So Cal, its aweful. The only sawmill I know for miles around here serves food, its a restaurant...

Gary Breckenridge
03-03-2007, 12:55 AM
If you plan to stay in woodworking for a period of time you need to change your ways. Ask around and find a local sawmill with a kiln or a country lumber store. Drop in and talk about deer hunting and the price of corn and hand out some extra donuts. "Oh, and by the way I need a bit of lumber...":cool:

Will Larson
03-03-2007, 1:36 AM
Anyone know of mills in New Mexico?

Ian Abraham
03-03-2007, 3:38 AM
If you plan to stay in woodworking for a period of time you need to change your ways. Ask around and find a local sawmill with a kiln or a country lumber store. Drop in and talk about deer hunting and the price of corn and hand out some extra donuts. "Oh, and by the way I need a bit of lumber...":cool:

yup... buying $100 of wood and a pack of donuts each month will get you on the 'good customer' list ;)
Then they keep you in mind when they find some nice curly maple :)

Ian

Doug M Jones
03-03-2007, 6:26 AM
My wife (the woman who can spend 45 minutes deciding between 2 pair of black shoes) doesn't understand why it can take me 2 hours to pick up some lumber. I live about 1/2 hour from Buttermore Lumber Mill in Ogden Iowa and they are great folks. Have a nice selection at very reasonable prices and will let you look through the stack for the boards that you want as long as you put the stack back in order when finished. I don't have a lathe (YET!) but I've been picking up some of the short cut pieces out of there cheap bin to make pen blanks when I get around to the lathe.

Steve Wargo
03-03-2007, 6:27 AM
I tend to buy about 75% of my stuff from local sawyers. I paid $.85 for poplar and $1.40 for hard maple about 10 months ago. Oak is usually around $.90 and Cherry is right around $3.00. There have been times when I've paid $.20 / bf for q-sawn sycamore. Just depends on what they want ot get rid of. Home Check out some of the online places as mentioned. I was actually pleasently suprised when I discovered how cheap shipping is on lumber. Hope this helps.

Craig D Peltier
03-03-2007, 8:29 PM
Thanks , good info.Went to rockler today, it was busy 50% off all plywood and 15% off wood.
Craig,

You might want to try Crosscut Lumber on 1st ave. S. just south of the west Seattle highway. And I'm sure there's at least a dozen other places in the greater Seattle/King Co. area that can beat Home Depot too.

Personally, I get most of my hardwoods in Tacoma at Architectual Woods. I believe I paid around $2/bf last time I was there. FWIW, Architectual Woods is probably 5x the size of Crosscut and Crosscut has probably 25x the selection of Rocklear.

Keith Outten
03-03-2007, 8:59 PM
I tend to buy about 75% of my stuff from local sawyers. I paid $.85 for poplar and $1.40 for hard maple about 10 months ago. Oak is usually around $.90 and Cherry is right around $3.00. There have been times when I've paid $.20 / bf for q-sawn sycamore. Just depends on what they want ot get rid of. Home Check out some of the online places as mentioned. I was actually pleasently suprised when I discovered how cheap shipping is on lumber. Hope this helps.

Steve,

Are the prices you quoted for kiln dried lumber?

Ben Chattin
03-13-2007, 10:17 PM
I am looking to get some smaller quantites of rough hard maple in west tennessee. i am just getting started so i need to buy from someone who won't mind if i stand there and stare at thier selection and scrach my head for an hour or so. Any suggestions?

Gary Herrmann
03-13-2007, 10:55 PM
Like everyone else has said, find a local lumberyard, sawyer or urban wood guy. You'll get better wood for less money.

Sammy Shuford
03-13-2007, 11:00 PM
http://www.internetlumber.com/lumber/Poplar

I have order from these folks before, at 1/2 price that of HD.

http://www.walllumber.com/default.asp

Steve Wall Lumber is also a good company.

I do sometime purchase at HD when I need 1 or 2 bf more.

Nancy Laird
03-13-2007, 11:10 PM
I am looking to get some smaller quantites of rough hard maple in west tennessee. i am just getting started so i need to buy from someone who won't mind if i stand there and stare at thier selection and scrach my head for an hour or so. Any suggestions?

Ben - PM sent. check your box.

Try

Hanafee Brothers in Troy - (731) 536-4682

Storey Sawmill and Lumber in Troy - (731) 536-4690

Nancy

jim gossage
03-14-2007, 5:19 AM
http://www.internetlumber.com/lumber/Poplar

I have order from these folks before, at 1/2 price that of HD.

Sammy,
not to hijack, but have you had any quality problems with internet lumber? i recently bought some FASF+1 walnut from them and it was at least one grade lower than that. price was great though.

Ron Blaise
03-14-2007, 9:35 AM
I have put 3500 into my shop but havent put money on a joiner or planer.I think joiner will be first, actually dust collection too.So I guess I will have to shop more for now also look online.I always thought the shipping would be outrageous so i never looked.I have a Rockler around here they have amazing exotics.Thank you.

Will be a planer. It will pay for itself very quickly and you will have a greater varity of wood to choose from. You don't have to buy a new one either. People are always upgrading and good deals on excellent used equipment are common. A 12 1/2" lunch box planer will meet the needs of 95% of wood you will use. AS for the joiner, if you already have a good table saw you can do without that tool for quite some time. If it were me, I would buy the planer first. It will give you a much greater return for your investment.