View Full Version : Ambrosia Maple Vase with Black Dyed Poplar Finial

Bob Opsitos
03-02-2007, 2:49 PM
12-1/2" Overall
9" vase
3-1/2" max diameter

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v705/ropsitos/DSCN2134.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v705/ropsitos/DSCN2131.jpg

I re-configured the finial from my last post. It's better but I'm still not 100% happy, plus the chunk of Poplar I used for the finial had a hidden bark inclusion that showed itself. I'll likely remake it at some point.

Finished with Watco Danish oil and buffed.

Thanks for looking
bob

Mark Pruitt
03-02-2007, 2:59 PM
Bob, I like this finial better than the first one. How very sweet of that bark inclusion to show itself after you doing all that hard work, eh?:mad:

You say you're not 100% happy with it; if you're looking for feedback I think that the large bead near the top could be thinned down some more or even eliminated...but heck that's easy for me to say! You're doing something that I have yet to tackle myself!

All in all, a great job!

Steve Schlumpf
03-02-2007, 3:05 PM
Nice work Bob! I like the colors, form, finish and the line at the foot of the vase. As far as the finial - it's better than anything I have ever made - but maybe Mark has a point of making it slightly thinner. Nice looking vase!

Keith Burns
03-02-2007, 3:15 PM
Bob, that is a big improvement for sure !! The only refinement I'd make is thinning the intermediate stem a little. Great job !!

Bernie Weishapl
03-02-2007, 4:07 PM
Bob I like it. Way better. Beautiful job.

Paul Engle
03-02-2007, 5:49 PM
Bob, looks like you are closing in on it... finals make me crazy , i can't decide on a shape and BAMMM , now you got shape.... not the one you ordered..Keep trying LOML says....some shapes elude us while other turners spin em out like they was cotton candy....:confused: . And boy do I hate to copy someone.....:o .

Corey Hallagan
03-02-2007, 6:42 PM
Very nice piece Bob. I like the shape and the lid. Nice mix of materials too.

corey

Dennis Peacock
03-02-2007, 8:18 PM
Yup, nice job on the turning. This finial is very improved. Most Excellent.

John Hart
03-02-2007, 9:16 PM
Yep...I'd say that it is a nice improvement Bob. Leagues ahead of what I keep turning out. I gotta practice more on this.