PDA

View Full Version : Out of the Dark

Tony De Masi
03-02-2007, 2:07 PM
Although I have been registered on this forum for a couple of weeks I have been lurking in the dark to see what it's all about. I am somewhat new to turning but have been doing flat work for quite some time. I must say that I am not only very impressed with this forum itself but with the people associated with it. Although there seems to be a good bit of light heartedness I am truly inspired by how free you all are with information and advice. I think I am going to like it here.

another new guy.

Tony

Brett Baldwin
03-02-2007, 2:13 PM
You've definitely joined a great bunch here. I like to check in just to decompress my brain a bit.

Mark Cothren
03-02-2007, 2:23 PM
Welcome Tony!

Ken Fitzgerald
03-02-2007, 2:28 PM
Tony....Welcome to the Creek! You're right.....the inmates here don't hesitate to share information in a friendly, civil and sometimes insane manner. A little over a year ago, I didn't turn and made the mistake of coming into the turner's forum when they were having a minature turning contest. I must have upset them as the inmates took up a collection and had a new Jet VS Mini, a SN2 chuck, tools, videos, wood, etc. delivered to my back door. They got their revenge.....my shop still isn't finished...I'm always broke..........I turn and smile a lot!:D

Welcome to the Creek!

Tony De Masi
03-02-2007, 2:32 PM
Thanks for the welcome all. Ken, you will have to tell me the particulars on how you got these fine ladies and gentlement to contribute to your new obsession. I certainly would like a piece of that.

Tony

Bill Wyko
03-02-2007, 2:35 PM
It's true, you've come across a great bunch of turners here but be careful how you throw around that f-word (flat) you'll get alot of ribbing.

Neal Addy
03-02-2007, 2:39 PM
Welcome, Tony. Glad you came out of the shadows.

I've always been impressed with how friendly and helpful woodturners can be. Don't know if it's the type of people that are naturally drawn to turning or whether turning itself influences folk's behavior. Whatever it is, it's impossible to meet a stranger if he/she is a fellow turner.

(Note that I DIDN'T say it's impossible to meet a strange turner. I wouldn't want Keith to start making a list. :D )

Cheers,

Neal (at the top of his list)

TYLER WOOD
03-02-2007, 2:53 PM
OK ban him, he said the four letter F-word!!!! F___work is not to be uttered around here. You have been warned. Only abyss talk allowed!:D

No really welcome to the forum. I am also in the same boat as you. I learned very quickley to have fun and share knowledge. You might even suprise yourself and come into a peice that you can share with the better knowledgable people here too. Feel free to dive in.

Steve Schlumpf
03-02-2007, 3:01 PM
Welcome to the Creek Tony! Looking forward to seeing some of your turnings and since you have been watching the site for a while now you already know how much we all like pictures!

Tony De Masi
03-02-2007, 3:09 PM
Warnings have been heard and will be heeded. I will make every effort to use that letter only within a word and not at the beginning, especially of one that has only 4 letters......caught myself there....

Tony

Keith Burns
03-02-2007, 3:10 PM
Welcome to the creek Tony. I'm sure you will enjoy it here !!:) :)

Neal, you are now on MY list !!:eek:

Bernie Weishapl
03-02-2007, 3:58 PM
Welcome to the Creek Tony. Lots of good people here and lots of knowledge. Welcome to the swirling black hole of turning. Like Ken said your wallet will be sucked dry, like his and like mine but boy will there be a smile on your face as you turn.:p

Tom Sherman
03-02-2007, 4:01 PM
Welcome to the Creek Tony.

John Hart
03-03-2007, 7:16 AM
Welcome to our little swirling whirlpool in the Creek Tony! Ken Fitzgerald used to blame exotic wood shavings for our behavior, but since he started turning, I don't hear much about that anymore:) . Assimilation is like that I suppose.:p

Oh...one more thing....try to get on Keith's list! Lot of really fine people on that thing. Keith's even trying to get on it!!;) :)

Mark Pruitt
03-03-2007, 7:48 AM
Welcome Tony!

Bob Noles
03-03-2007, 8:00 AM
Welcome Tony

George Conklin
03-03-2007, 10:21 AM
Although there seems to be a good bit of light heartedness

Tony

Light heartedness? Who? Us?;)

Welcome, Tony:)