PDA

View Full Version : Any Creekers going to Provo?

Kevin McPeek
03-02-2007, 1:42 PM
I have been given the nod by SWMBO to go to Provo syymposium this year. I was just wondering who else might be going..?
For the people that have gone, is there any must-dos while there?

Dario Octaviano
03-02-2007, 1:59 PM
Kevin,

Is that time of the year upon us again? Time really flies.

How I wish I can go...:(

TYLER WOOD
03-02-2007, 2:56 PM
I won't be giong, but there are about 4-5 from our turners club here going. I hope you have a blast. Pics and knowledge will be required upon return.

Ron Ainge
03-02-2007, 3:05 PM
Kevin

If this is your first time at the Symposium I would suggest that you get there a day early and attend the show and sale that they have at Craft Supply. Craft Supply has a all day event starting with a fire sale about 8:30 in the morning followed by turning demos all day, then about 4:00 they have a drawing and give away some really good items, such as tools, books, wood and a Jet mini lathe. At least that is what they did last year. I spent several hundered dollars at the fire sale that morning and I had my wife with me and she did not complain a bit. :D :D :D That evening starting about 7:00 there will be a presintation put on by the pen turners which for me was very interesting. The next day starts the real show and there is something to do all day and until about 9:00 every evening. Friday evening they have a great BBQ and then a swap meet in the parking lot at the school. Bring extra $$$$$ for the swap meet you will need it to get all of the things you see there. I have been twice and I will be there again this year if I can get my schedule arranged to fit it in. If you have any additional questions just ask and I will try to answer them for you. I grew up about 20 miles south of Provo so I know the area fairly well. Hope you like the show and the area.

Brian Brown
03-04-2007, 12:38 PM
When is this show, an wher do I fine Info???

Thanks

Curt Fuller
03-04-2007, 12:50 PM
I live 90 mnutes from the Utah Symposium but have never been to it. I do know that you have to register before before April 30 to get the discount and that if always fills up early. There's also a pen turning symposium that runs in conjunction with it. Because it's held on the campus of BYU there are strict rules like no tobacco, alcohol, caffeine (coffee or coke) allowed or available on campus. I think it's the longest running woodturning symposium and this is their 28th year. Provo (and all of Utah) is a beautiful place and there are lots of things to do and see besides the symposium plus there's the the nirvana of woodturning stores, Craft Supplies, that holds their big sale the day before the symposium. I'm thinking of going this year myself.