PDA

View Full Version : Cabinetmaster woes- Anyone have this happen?

Bruce Foley
12-10-2003, 2:49 PM
I was gluing up some Xmas cutting boards last night with my new 24" bargain Cabinetmaster clamps and all of a sudden, one quit tightening. What says I? I flip it over and small pieces of aluminum casting fall onto the bench! It looks like the entire lower cam mechanism distentigrated! Did I overtighten? Maybe, but is this possible? Methinks a bad batch of castings. Anyone else have this happen? How's the luck with the manufacturer's warranty? I love these clamps and cannot believe that they all are like this, it has to be a fluke???? I have the 48" and no such problems.

:confused:

Bruce Foley

John Weber
12-10-2003, 3:06 PM
Bruce,

They sold 10's of thousands with all the sales and I've only heard one or two stories of problems. Call them and they will send you a new head. Sorry about your experience, but they are quality clamps and a first rate company.

John

Kevin Murdock
12-10-2003, 3:33 PM
Bruce,

I had the exact same thing happen when I bought the max allotment at the woodcraft online sale.

I torqued down on the clamp for it's second use (first real hard clampdown) and "SNAP!". Silver case over the cams failed.

So I emailed sales@adjustableclamp.com as per the website information and got a reply from Joann Oczkowski asking for my address and then once they got it they'd send out replacement parts.

A few days later the parts show up at my door. These guys are great.

But I had to do the rebuild of the head myself. It was so easy my wife rebuilt it just for fun before I got home. Not speak ill off my wife, but she's not mechanically inclined.

In summary... I was worried at first, but Adjustable Clamp really stands behind their product and I'm totally won over.

Thanks,
/Kevin

Wes Bischel
12-10-2003, 5:32 PM
I have to say, this group is great! In less than an hour Bruce not only has two good answers, but an e-mail address with contact name to solve his problem!

Sorry about your problem Bruce, and the fact that I can't help you at all. But I think you are in capable hands. Just goes to show ya.

Wes

Geoff Siemering
12-10-2003, 6:11 PM
I had a lower jaw that jammed against the upper head and wouldn't release for anything. Contacted Joan at ACC and they had a new head to me within days. Great company which will definitely get my business in the future!

Ron Meadows
12-10-2003, 8:33 PM
I took advantage of the lastest Woodcraft sale and bought some Jorgies, though I haven't used them yet. I'm curious.....anybody ever hear of a Bessey breaking? I know that I haven't and I've been using them for about 8 years. Just wondering.

Ron

Chris Padilla
12-10-2003, 9:18 PM
I took advantage of the lastest Woodcraft sale and bought some Jorgies, though I haven't used them yet. I'm curious.....anybody ever hear of a Bessey breaking? I know that I haven't and I've been using them for about 8 years. Just wondering.

Ron

My Bessey's of nearly 4 years are going strong. I've got glue/poly glue/etc. all over 'em and they still work great.

I've been thinking about trying out the larger jaws of the Gross Stabil ones...new ones on the market and that I saw in AW an issue or two ago.

Chris

Byron Trantham
12-11-2003, 9:54 AM
Not speak ill off my wife, but she's not mechanically inclined./Kevin

Hey Kevin, She might might be Miss Klutz of the world, but hey, she put it togther and it worked. I'd call her the sweatest thing in the world for doing it for you. Pretty nice having the LOYL watching your back... ;)

Bruce Foley
12-11-2003, 11:56 AM
Wow! Not only did I get quick responses from SMC, but the rep from the Adjustable Clamp Co. responded within about thirty minutes!! They are aware of the problem and are making design changes to rectify it. Meanwhile they are sending me replacement parts immediately!!! :)

With this kind of customer service, I will definately be a repeat customer! As a side note, if you have spam filters-check them for stray customer service emails; you may get an anticipated response from someone and it will be filtered as spam. :rolleyes:

Thanks again SMC for the collective wisdom!
Old Ponders never die, they just slip into the creek!!!

Bruce Foley