PDA

View Full Version : Miller Falls #1 vs Kelly Tools #1

Dan Clermont in Burnaby
12-10-2003, 2:15 PM
I was wondering if anyone has compared the Miller Falls #1 Shave to the Kelly Tools #1 sold by Museum of WOodworking Tools. Really, what I am wondering is how much easier it is to use the Kelly Tools shave and sharpen in over the Kelly Tools.

This all started after seeing Dave Anderson's beautiful Shave Rack and the fact I have been pondering purchasing a #1 from a friend who wants to move it.

TIA,
Dan Clermont in Burnaby

Dave Anderson NH
12-10-2003, 3:07 PM
Hi Dan-- It's been some time since I have seen or used one of the Kelly Tool Works reproductions so you will have to forgive my vagueness. IICRC, the Kelly has larger handles more suited for larger hands than the MF original. It seems the body might also have been very slightly larger in diameter too though I could be remembering incorrectly on this. The Kelly functions well, on a par with the originals when they are well set up. The main advantages of the Kelly as I see it are in having a tool come to you with the right bevel geometry already in place, getting a nice spiffy and shiny new tool, and having all of the cutter as opposed to a heavily worn one on many originals. I know that some MF users have purchased replacement cutters from Kelly for their old tools and they fit quite well. Being a cheapskate, I have multiples of the originals. Besides, a couple or 3 years ago Kelly was no longer advertising and I didn't know about Joel at the Museum of Woodworking Tools.

Alan Turner
12-15-2003, 1:53 PM
Dave and others,
Well, after thinking abut if for about 5 mn. or so, I decided that Dave's comment on the cabiole leg usage of a Millers Falls No. 1 required me to have one, and just like that one lept into my shopping bag at a recent auction. Now I understand what Dave said about PITA and sharpening.

Is this ia good thread to request advice on sharpening this guy? The one I got brings new meaning the phrase "line of light." So, I started honing it with the flat pressed carefully agasint a pretty wornout DMT 320. Got it nearing flat to the edge, but am not yet near to making that line of light go away. So, while the arthritic hand recovers before round two, I thought I would ask for help. Sharpen only on the flat? Keep it flat? Till there is a burr, then remove it carefully, and good to go? Angle? Can I see a close-up photo of one correctly sharpened, and installed?
Thanks a bunch to any advisors.
Alan

Mark Singer
12-16-2003, 12:59 AM
You should take a look at the Veritas spokeshave from Lee Valley. It works on both concave and convex . It is excellent and has a very thick blade with no chatter.It can be adjusted to make paper thin shavings. If you buy one and don't like they will take it back.
Mark