PDA

View Full Version : Making Gun Stocks

Tim Brooks
03-02-2007, 8:23 AM
Has anyone made a gun stock? I'd like to know what is involved or maybe a good website to give me an idea of skill level, tools needed, etc.

Thanks for the input...

James Carmichael
03-02-2007, 8:58 AM
Do a google search on Reinhart Fajen. Dunno if they have a site. Fajen and Bishop were the two big suppliers of stock blanks back when I was diy gunsmithing, but I think I heard Fajen bought Bishop.

Check out Brownells for tools, kits, books, etc.

rodney mitchell
03-02-2007, 12:55 PM
Look up Richard's micro fit stocks on the web. Lots of info there.

Rodney

William Fourness
03-02-2007, 1:10 PM
I can check with a couple of my customers that work with gun stocks and make sure it is alright you contact them first. Sure they would not mind. Interested let me know.
Bill
Penn's Woods http://stores.pennswoodsstock.net

Brian Patton
03-02-2007, 4:55 PM
www.doublegunshop.com (http://www.doublegunshop.com)

There are many different ways to make a gunstock as there are guns.

Fairly common long guns may have semi inletted stocks readily available from companies such as Great American Gunstock , or Richards Microfit.

These only require final fitting , sanding , checkering and finish- either many ,many coats of BLO for example, or a more durable poly based finish or often Casey "Tru-Oil".

If you have the original stock from a gun that you would like duplicated out of finer wood prior to customizing - you can have the old "pattern" stock duplicated on a pantograph ( usually a hoenig) - and do the final finishing as above yourself.

Higher end guns ( custom rifles/ double barrel shotguns) are often "bespoke" manufactured to the owners unique dimensions - and require gun " fitting" - true artisans use the finest juglans regia ( english walnut -now sourced mainly from from Turkey or California ) , layout and carve,chisel, inlet the action with smoke from an oil lamp to show any " high spots", balance the stock by hollowing out the butt or adding weight to the forearm, and use up to 38 lines/ inch of checkering in complicated ribbon, fleur de lis patterns, while adding ebony,rosewood or horn tips and grip caps.

best regards,
JBP