PDA

View Full Version : 1/32" Engraving Plastic

Frank Defert
03-02-2007, 12:26 AM
Yesterday Mike Null made mention of "1/32" Engraving Plastic" in another thread here on the Creek. I had a quick look around but couldn't really find the info I need on this material.
Anybody use this material? Good / Bad / OK? Also looking for a wholesale supplier?
Thanks Frank

Shaddy Dedmore
03-02-2007, 3:15 AM
Not sure, but rowmark makes something called Flexicolor (http://www.rowmark.com/laser/Flexibrass/Flexi.asp)

Shaddy

Mike Null
03-02-2007, 6:44 AM
Frank:

I use IPI plastic and I buy it from Johnson Plastics. Rowmark also makes some laserable 1/32" or .030".

Note that I have incorrectly referred to it as 1/32" when it is really .030"--just easier for most people to understand.

http://www.inoplas.com/default.asp

Frank Defert
03-02-2007, 11:14 AM
Thanks for the replies. Just what I needed to know.

Frank

Dave Jones
03-02-2007, 2:13 PM
I just looked at the IPI site and was amazed to see their "Laser Ultrathins". It's like the regular 2 ply / 2 color laserable plastics, but it's self adhesive, UV stable, flexible, and only .004" thick. :eek:

Joe Pelonio
03-02-2007, 2:32 PM
If anyone uses that let us know how it works. My experience with the IPI
material is that it's always warped, and without a vacuum table I have to jump through hoops to keep it flat. It may be my local source though he says that's how he gets it from them. That would likely be worse with the thinner material. Never had that issue with Rowmark.

Mike Null
03-02-2007, 2:43 PM
Joe:

I know painfully well about the warping issue with IPI but that is not an issue with the 1/32" nor the thinner material for which I have yet to find a use.

James Stokes
03-02-2007, 3:05 PM
I have used the IPI Laserthins quite a bit. I like it. It looks good, Engraves and cuts easy. The glue sticks good. I have no problems with it at all.

Brian Robison
03-02-2007, 3:49 PM
Use it like you would a foil. Stick it, cut it, laser it.
Wonderful stuff, especially the "metals", Rowmark Laser Lites.

Shaddy Dedmore
03-02-2007, 8:18 PM
For me, I couldn't keep the laserthin flat enough to laser well (no vacuum table). So I used some super 77 spray adhesive and stuck it to some MDF. WOrked great, the adhesive came right off the back of the thins because it was a little slick.

Shaddy