PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone out there use Opera?

Joe Mioux
03-01-2007, 10:35 PM
if so how does it compare to firefox, or I.e. etc?

thanks
Joe

Ed Kowaski
03-01-2007, 10:54 PM
I do, I like it better then Firefox. I'll quit the net before I run ie. ;)

David G Baker
03-01-2007, 10:59 PM
if so how does it compare to firefox, or I.e. etc?

thanks
Joe
Joe,
I used it several years ago and liked it but there were too many things that I needed IE for. I am sure it is greatly improved since I used it. It was smooth and didn't have all the Microsoft bloat plus no bugs.
I would give it a try. They once had a free trial version, if they still do go for it.
David B

Russ Filtz
03-02-2007, 7:20 AM
I used to, but same incompatibility with some website. I run only Firefox now (plus IE for the odd website). Firefox uses the guts of IE I believe, hence the better compatibility, not sure if Opera does or not.

Chuck Saunders
03-02-2007, 8:11 AM
Firefox uses the guts of IE I believe
I don't think so. Firefox is from Mozilla, which is the Netscape family. The better compatibility is due to the extra effort put forth to keep Firefox current.
Chuck

Dan Lyke
03-02-2007, 1:50 PM
I'm a huge Opera fan, I use it on Windows, Mac and Linux, and would continue to pay for it if they still charged for it on those platforms, but I also keep Firefox around for those few sites which have incompatibilities. But in general my experiences with Opera are that it's faster than Firefox (or Safari), has a lower memory footprint, and I like the email client, which also has decent integration for syndication feeds.

Paul Downes
03-02-2007, 1:53 PM
I listen to it occaisionaly for a change of pace. I haven't checked to see if it affects the quality of my wwing. hmmmmm......:D Sorry, I couldn't resist.

David G Baker
03-02-2007, 4:06 PM
I listen to it occaisionaly for a change of pace. I haven't checked to see if it affects the quality of my wwing. hmmmmm......:D Sorry, I couldn't resist.
Paul,
I thought you were into Country & Western! I'm not sorry, I could resist but you know how it is.
David B

Jim Becker
03-02-2007, 5:11 PM
I have Opera on my system but only use it to test the occasional changes I make to several web sites for multi-browser consistency. Opera is nice, but Firefox seems to have a lot more "community" support. I don't use IE on my personal system unless it's required or something important to me isn't displaying properly in FF.

Dick Latshaw
03-02-2007, 10:15 PM
I don't use IE on my personal system unless it's required or something important to me isn't displaying properly in FF.
I'm with Jim on this one.

Joe Mioux
03-02-2007, 10:32 PM
You know, i download opera and i like it better than IE and Firefox, but the real test is when I ask my 16 yr old what he thinks of Opera.

He is a diehard Firefox user.

Joe

Jim Becker
03-02-2007, 10:56 PM
The good news is that FireFox 2.x, the current version of Opera and frankly, even IE 7 are very capable browsers. They all have advantages and disadvantages. I've become very comfortable with FireFox in the last year and even bagged Outlook in favor of Thunderbird for email. (as well as RSS subscriptions) In a sense, it's generally a good idea to pick one and stick with it as long as it meets your needs.