PDA

View Full Version : Epilog!! I was totally Amazed!!!

Bill Cunningham
03-01-2007, 8:48 PM
Yesterday afternoon, my Epilog TT started Screeching as the head came to the left side on a raster.. It sounded like someone dragging their nails across a blackboard and hitting speed bumps.. I though Oh @#$%^&& there goes the head bearing..

I sent an email to Epilog Services, and received one back with-in the hour from Koy in the service department.. He said to call him.. So, I did.. I was positive it was the head bearing full of crud, and dragging itself down the rail and just wanted to know how to clean it.. Koy thought it might be the X motion motor, and suggested that I should humor him and disconnect the belt, move the head, move the belt on the motor, and see where the noise came from.. I'm glad I humoured him, because he was absolutely right.. The motor was the problem, the head moved as smooth as glass.. You just can't second guess a man that knows his job!!

Anyway, I called back right after I checked as he suggested (took about 2-3 minutes to disconnect the belt and check it) I was put in the phone loop, so left a message.. Peck called me back about quarter to four, and confirmed my address, and told me he was shipping out a new motor upgrade overnight (no charge)! .. Now, I'm in Ontario Canada, and he's in Colorado, most overnights from the U.S. take 2 days.. I figured I would have the part by Friday.. At about 11:55 this morning the UPS guy walks into the shop, and hands me a parcel.. My jaw must have hit the floor!! The parts were there, and once I cleared some stuff off my workload, I had the laser up and running with the new parts installed, tested, and working fine in less than 24 hours after Peck called from the service Department!! Even If there was no other reason to buy a Epilog Machine over someone else's, this would have to be the deciding factor.. Absolutely AMAZING service.. I'm a hard guy to empress, but these guys have certainly done it!!

Mike Mackenzie
03-01-2007, 8:54 PM
Bill,

Thats a great thing but I just don't understand whats so amazing about the motors failing. I think that it would be more amazing to never have to call tech support at all.

Vicky Orsini
03-01-2007, 9:16 PM
Bill, I'm glad you had a positive experience. :) It's nice to know the support is there when you need it. And it is a "when", not an "if". These are machines, after all. They're not built to last forever, no matter what the salesman might claim. ;) So it's nice to know you'll have the help when they need a little TLC. :cool:

Joe Pelonio
03-01-2007, 9:22 PM
Bill,

Thats a great thing but I just don't understand whats so amazing about the motors failing. I think that it would be more amazing to never have to call tech support at all.
Good point Mike. That's very rare or non-existent, though.

I had the same issue, and was also very happy with the fast service in getting up and running again, and no charge though my warranty was well over.

With the amount of stress on the shaft from the belt the shaft eventually bends, and the replacement upgrade has an additional bearing to keep it
straight. I look at it as one of those design flaws that doesn't show up until a machine has been in production long enough for it to show up.

Bill Cunningham
03-01-2007, 9:53 PM
Bill,

Ahh your right, that would be 'more' amazing.. But in the real world, 'stuff' happens, and all we can do is try to make life as uncomplicated as we can. It's certainly is nice to deal with folks that do their very best to make your experiance with their products, as uncomplicated as possible, and back that up with action.. I'm happy, my customers are happy, and Epilog will be happy sometime in the future when I looking for another laser! Brownie points are cumulative :D

Keith Outten
03-01-2007, 11:07 PM
I can also confirm that Epilog is fast diagnosing problems and getting parts out the door. I have had two out of warrenty failures, both times Epilog was faster than I was able to clear my schedule to install the parts.

Mike Mackenzie
03-01-2007, 11:09 PM
First let me say that I am not critisizing Epilogs service I have heard that they are great and are very attentive to there customers.

Second I realize these are machines that get a lot of work and can break down at times, However there have been several posts on this forum and others that discuss this exact problem.

I would think that if I were a System Manufacturer I would want to find out why this problem is happening and correct it once and for all.

This has to cost them a lot of time and resources to keep having to send motors out overnight to people all over the world.

I think that they could use there time and money in a better way.

Chris Costello
03-02-2007, 12:17 AM
I had nearly the exact same experience with epilog, Different Problem, but Koy diagnosed it in a short phone call, overnighted me the replacement free of charge, and I was up and running 40 hours after my machine failed at 3 AM on Sunday night. The kicker is that I bought my machine used. They asked me to provide written proof of the date of purchase, and they gave me a full one year warranty from the time that I purchased it. Flat out unbeatable service.

Chris Costello
Epilog 24 Mini

Kim Vellore
03-02-2007, 12:48 AM
I would think that if I were a System Manufacturer I would want to find out why this problem is happening and correct it once and for all.

This has to cost them a lot of time and resources to keep having to send motors out overnight to people all over the world.

Probably they did fix the problem on the newer machines as soon as they found out about the problem. We will continue to hear this problem as the older machines fail over use. I am glad they are offering to replace these motors for free even when they are out of warranty, I guess that is what needs the appreciation.

Kim

Frank Corker
03-02-2007, 4:31 AM
Fact remains the same, Epilog time and time again, bend over backwards to sort people out. For my mind you cannot beat service like that. If my machine (God forbid) caught fire. got stolen or totally burned out, I would only ever replace it with another Epilog. You just don't get that from many other companies.

David Harvey
03-02-2007, 9:47 AM
I had the exact same problem on my 24TT and I was blown away by the service! It was fixed within 24hrs. from the time I placed my call to tech support at Epilog. I have had other failures in the past....same quick and accurate service.

Technical support IS very important and any of these machines ARE going to fail, so being able to get them back up and running pronto every time is VERY important.

It's for this very reason that I have ordered another Laser from Epilog (the Legend ETX 75w). Delivery in about 3 weeks. ... and I will continue to use my old reliable 24TT as well.

David

Larry Bratton
03-02-2007, 5:12 PM
Wow! Sure makes ME feel good. I just handed over the 25% deposit this morning for the new Epilog 24x36 I bought . The distributor was here and we discussed service. Reason he is with Epilog today is the company support that is rendered. He used to sell Brand U (wink) and changed due to that issue. I have about two weeks to wait now and the excitement is building!

Richard Rumancik
03-03-2007, 6:31 PM
Rastering is brutal on the x-motor, because it is reversing direction and the lubrication never allows the bearing to operate in the manner a bearing should. Ideally a bearing operates at a speed that allows the inner race to virtually float on a thin film of lubricant with no metal to metal contact. By stopping and reversing the internal race of the bearing will allow it to "touch down" at the ends of travel. The y-motor, on the other hand, is turning at a slow speed to generate a few thousandth of an inch travel per line of raster. Not ideal, but pretty easy on the bearing in comparison.

Here is a suggestion: Two months before your warranty is up, disengage your x motor from the carriage as described in this thread. Check that the motor spins freely without any roughness etc. If the motor does not spin freely, the bearing is going.

If you don't do this test, the motor will tell you later in some other way (like a screetching sound). This may well occur a few months after the warranty has expired. (Ask me how I know.)

This is not a bad test to do as preventative maintenance either. Better to find it before you are shut down completely. You will not be able to detect it by moving the carriage with the belt connected.

Bill Cunningham
03-04-2007, 9:22 PM
First let me say that I am not critisizing Epilogs service I have heard that they are great and are very attentive to there customers.

Second I realize these are machines that get a lot of work and can break down at times, However there have been several posts on this forum and others that discuss this exact problem.

I'm sure they have the problem corrected in all their current machines. This model has been out of production for about 3 years now, and all still in service will not be in warrenty. Just the fact that Epilog has acknowledged the problem, and is retrofittting all the older machines that are suffering from this problem says volumes about how they value their customers, and support their machines. Other manufacturers could very well say.. Well, it worked fine all through the warrenty period, so we have met our obligation. Sorry, heres your bill...

For those looking to buy a machine, this might be a queston to ask 'your' sales rep. what they would do in a similar situation 3-4 years down the road after the warrenty has expired!

Mike Mackenzie
03-05-2007, 1:38 PM
Bill,

I'm sure they have the problem corrected in all their current machines. This model has been out of production for about 3 years now, and all still in service will not be in warranty.

There is a post on this forum that is dealing with a similar problem this system is only 8 months old.

Just the fact that Epilog has acknowledged the problem, and is retrofitting all the older machines that are suffering from this problem says volumes about how they value their customers, and support their machines.

I completely agree!!

For those looking to buy a machine, this might be a queston to ask 'your' sales rep. what they would do in a similar situation 3-4 years down the road after the warranty has expired!

I would certainly love to be able to go in and purchase my new car and ask them if my water pump fails in three or four years will you replace it?

I believe that this problem has been going on for a very long time and the only reason they exchange the motors is because they no the problem exists and that it is easier to deal with it on a system by system basis rather than recalling all of the systems or sending out large numbers of motors to all of the affected owners.

Bill Cunningham
03-06-2007, 9:14 PM
I believe that this problem has been going on for a very long time and the only reason they exchange the motors is because they no the problem exists and that it is easier to deal with it on a system by system basis rather than recalling all of the systems or sending out large numbers of motors to all of the affected owners.

Yup your probably right! But, they 'are' doing the right thing, and thats important for future owners to know, even years down the road..