PDA

View Full Version : New guy

chris anderson
03-01-2007, 5:46 PM
Hello! I am new to the site and to turning. I really want to get into it but can't get started. Went to woodcraft last night and bought a bunch of stuff. And today my wife calls and says my Delta midi lathe was just dropped of by fed ex. I didn't know she ment litterally and niether did she! But the " handle" by the motor is bent over and the rubber torn off and chewed up. Then the door where you change the belt is caved in and the thing that holds it shut is broke!:mad: I was really looking forward to turning that grab bag of wood into shavings this weekend, guess I'll have to be on the back burner again this weekend. Sorry to rant, Thanks for the great sight!!!

Hilel Salomon
03-01-2007, 5:50 PM
Hi,

Welcome to the club!! My experience with Delta has been good. Please call them and let them know what happened. On my Delta midi, when the motor and pulley didn't work properly, they shipped these to me right away. Hilel.

John Hart
03-01-2007, 6:57 PM
Aw man...that's a shame. 'Course the true test of a good company is not how perfect the equipment arrives....It's how they respond to difficulties. Good luck on the resolution.

And Welcome to the abyss!!!;) :)

Robert McGowen
03-01-2007, 7:21 PM
Hmmm..... Go to Woodcraft. Return everything. Everything in the store is 10% off Saturday, 15% off if you get there early enough. (Look at their website) Think about how much money you saved not using the tools right away. Tell your wife how you think this might even be a cheaper hobby than you thought! Think evil thoughts about next large purchase..... Hmmmm.....:rolleyes:

Rich Stewart
03-01-2007, 7:25 PM
Tell her you are interested in lasers. Let her check THAT stuff out and she will be HAPPY you settled for a lathe.

Welcome to the abyss.

Rich

Nancy Laird
03-01-2007, 7:34 PM
Tell her you are interested in lasers. Let her check THAT stuff out and she will be HAPPY you settled for a lathe.

Welcome to the abyss.

Rich

AMEN!!!!!!

And welcome to this group of spin crackheads.

Nancy

Ken Fitzgerald
03-01-2007, 8:42 PM
Welcome to the Creek and the Abyss Chris! Take a quick photo of any green you may have in your wallet and mount the picture on the wall so a month from now you'll remember what it looked like! But......You'll smile a lot!

Steve Schlumpf
03-01-2007, 8:57 PM
Welcome to the Creek Chris! Hope you get the lathe issues taken care with minimal hassle. Soon as you can post a few pics of the new lathe and some of your turnings!

Bernie Weishapl
03-01-2007, 10:29 PM
Welcome Chris. I surely hope you get the lathe taken care of.

John Timberlake
03-01-2007, 10:33 PM
Welcome. You will find lots of good advice here. Sorry about the lathe. Hope you get it all straightened out soon. You will love turning. Most projects are quick to complete. Watch out for the abyss!

Neal Addy
03-01-2007, 11:44 PM
Take it as a sign and walk away now before you fall into the abyss!

Seriously, welcome Chris! Bumpy start for ya but you'll enjoy the slide once you get going.

Mark Pruitt
03-02-2007, 8:00 AM
Welcome Chris!

TYLER WOOD
03-02-2007, 9:50 AM
Come in come in says the spider to the fly!!!

Congrats on the purchase, sorry for your loss. Hope all is resolved quickly and properly. Have fun in the abyss, but don't even think about trying to jump out. You've already commited woodworkers suicide!!!