PDA

View Full Version : My first chuck

Nicholas Briggs
03-01-2007, 5:36 PM
I've made a few bowls, but I always just glue my stock to a faceplate. I would like to start turning hollow forms and bowls with a little more shape. I have no idea what kind of chuck i need/want so any input would be greatly appreciated.

I have a full size Craftsman variable speed lathe, and price is defiantly a factor. Any suggestions?

Dario Octaviano
03-01-2007, 5:39 PM
Look at Talon, SN2, or Vicmark

Cheaper option is Barracuda2

Bill Grumbine
03-01-2007, 5:48 PM
I have seven chucks right now, two Strongholds, two Talons, the Barracuda II, the IV, and the wee little one. In the past I have owned the Nova scroll and the Oneway Scroll. The best bang for your buck and the most useful size for your lathe would be the Barracuda II. For less money that the Talon, you will get the chuck and just about all the jaws that will go with it.

Bill

Rob Bourgeois
03-01-2007, 7:05 PM
Stay away from "budget" chucks...

Adam Morgenstern
03-01-2007, 7:11 PM
Amazon sells the barracudas pretty cheap. I got mine there and love it.

Jonathon Spafford
03-01-2007, 7:22 PM
Go for the talon... I love mine. Jimmy Clewes especially likes the screw that goes with it... won't bend like some! It isn't too big or too small. A pretty versatile chuck!

Rich Stewart
03-01-2007, 7:22 PM
A lot of people will tell you to stay away from budget chucks, but if you are on a tight budget, a budget chuck is better than no chuck. I got three of the budget chucks from PSI for about the same price as one of the "good" ones. That way I can keep three different jaws on them each one and don't have to mess with all them little allen screws everytime I want to change jaws. They work great for me. Never had a problem with them. Run true, hold tight. Your choice, but dont be afraid of the cheaper chucks if money is a problem. If it's not a problem, then by all means, get the good ones.

Rich

Nicholas Briggs
03-01-2007, 8:12 PM
Wow, thanks for all the quick and informative replies.

I see the Talon for $210 at amazon.com but can't seem to fond the Barracuda II. Anyone have a link?

Bill Grumbine
03-01-2007, 8:22 PM
www.pennstateind.com will get you there. There are several resellers, but I do not know who they are specifically.

Bill

Chuck Beland
03-01-2007, 8:40 PM
I just got the Barracuda II fir X Mas. I think so far it works great.

Chuck

Bernie Weishapl
03-01-2007, 10:31 PM
I like my Barracuda II also and love my Vicmarc 100. By the way the Vicmarc jaws will fit my $99 chuck from Grizzly. It is a decent chuck for that money.

Neal Addy
03-01-2007, 11:23 PM
In my opinion, a "budget chuck" would be something like this:

http://www.grizzly.com/products/g1082

If this is what is meant by the term then I agree. Don't even think about it.

The already mentioned Barracuda2, however, is a very good "budget chuck". It's one of the best bangs-for-the-buck because it comes with a full set of jaws. Based on those who own it the quality seems to be very good.

The best price I know of on the PSI Barracuda2 is thru Amazon. Free shipping too.
http://www.amazon.com/PSI-Woodworking-CSC3000C-Barracuda-System/dp/B000KIACTG/sr=1-2/qid=1172808639/ref=pd_bbs_2/102-3204164-7398557?ie=UTF8&s=hi

Nicholas Briggs
03-02-2007, 1:59 AM
Just ordered the Barracuda II from amazon. They sell PSI stuff cheaper than pennstateind.com!!!??? Thank you everyone so much for all the help. I'll be sure to post pics when I make something worthy. Which reminds me, I got a 10" long 3" diameter Banksia pod that I have no idea what to do with. Any suggestions?

Dave Wimmer
03-02-2007, 7:57 AM
I got a 10" long 3" diameter Banksia pod that I have no idea what to do with. Any suggestions?
Yes, send it to me! Glad to help.

Rick Hutcheson
03-02-2007, 8:01 AM
I have the Baracuda and have wore one out in a few months. I have pictures of it on my web site. PSI did replace it. I like the chuck and have bought a second one, but also own a Talon and feel it is a smoother operating chuck.

Bob Hallowell
03-02-2007, 8:47 AM
I plan on getting a barracuda II chuck soon. but so far I have made 13" bowls on the same lathe you have with my $45 dollar gizzly. In fact If I could get other jaws reasonably I would just buy more so I wouldn't need to switch jaws.

Bob

Steve Hayes
03-02-2007, 9:33 AM
Rick,

How do you use that chuck on your P20? hee hee!! Thanks for all the tips and help for scrolling. Great site!

Daniel Heine
03-02-2007, 9:58 AM
Hello,

I have one of the PSI utility chucks, and it works fine for me. For anything that PSI offers, Fritz at woodturningz.com can get it for you at a better price. I would email him with whatever you are interested in, and he will quote you a much better price. Pen kits also.

Good Luck,
Dan Heine