PDA

View Full Version : Power Feeders Do you like yours ?

Rick Reinsma
03-01-2007, 5:18 PM
Are they hard to set up? Do you use it often and on what machines? Has anyone cut 5-6' styles free hand on a router table? I realize that the feeders provide even pressure on the stock but wonder if it is worth purchasing if you can do it freehand with good results.
Thanks for your Wisdom...Rick

Mike Palmer
03-01-2007, 7:56 PM
They are very easy to set up. Of all my purchases, a power feeder ranks at the top as one of the best. I have one on my router table and my jointer. Great tools.

Mike Heidrick
03-01-2007, 8:53 PM
They are very easy to set up. Of all my purchases, a power feeder ranks at the top as one of the best. I have one on my router table and my jointer. Great tools.

Mike, what is the secret to finding the optimal spot for one?

Mike Palmer
03-01-2007, 9:48 PM
Mike, to me, finding the best spot to mount was not real scientific. I set the unit on my router table with the mount behind the fence toward the back edge. I left the arm extended forward about 2/3 - 3/4 making sure I had 2 wheels in front and one behind the cut. Then, I visually made sure I could swing it out of the way without removing the fence for times when I don't need it. Also make sure it is not in the way of adjusting the fence. Mark the holes and mount. Nothing to it.

Kevin Johnson
03-01-2007, 9:49 PM
I have a similar question regarding power feeders. I am thinking about getting one but wanted to know if a power feeders can be turned on its side. I want to mill a bead on the edge of several hundred feet of trim and thought that I would get a power feeder to do that on a router table.

Jim Flynn
03-01-2007, 9:52 PM
I use mine on my CU300 Smart for Jointing, shaping and ripping. It is one of my favorite enhancements as well. If it wasn't so darn heavy I would use it on the router table but my 1HP Felder 2038 is heavy to move around alot.

If you want to use it on multiple machines or in multiple spots on a combo you can do what I did which is mounted it on a 12x12" quarter inch steel plate with angle iron mounted on two sides. The plate is rested on a 3/4" piece of MDF which is bored to accomodate the bolt heads on the steel plate. I just position it on the top where ever I need it and then clamp it down with two hefty clamps.

Where does it really pay off?

In my opinion the first big benefit is the safety factor with the shaper. The other shaping benefit is that it is consistent quality. The third big benefit is when shaping long heavy pieces it manhandles them in a way I just couldn't such as when running mouldings or exterior door stiles.

Jointing is also greatly enhanced for me on long heavy pieces of raw lumber. Works great for face jointing big boards. Lesser benefit for edge jointing unless you have alot to joint. For short stuff it doesn't really help other than speed of work.

On the saw the consistency of feed rate on ripping large heavy pieces increases the quality of cut for me. The other factor is for instance if you need to rip a large quantity of material to the same thickness it is a nice speed up as all you do is feed and catch without stopping the saw or ever reaching.

On my combo I always support the jointer and tablesaw fence when using the feeder due to the force it exerts on the fences.

I have never used it on my router table but think it would be a nice benefit provided I didn't overstress the fence or table. 1 HP feeders are heavy and powerful. I am not sure my Incra fence is up to the load that the feeder can apply. I imagine a careful setup would work. With the shaper it really snugs long heavy material right up to the fence and keeps it there.

If your intent is to only use it on the router table I don't know that I 'd go with a 1 or even a 1/2 HP unit. One of the small 1/4 HP units might be perfect but I haven't used one in that manner so hopefully someone else will chip in with an opinion.

J.R. Rutter
03-02-2007, 12:37 AM
I have a similar question regarding power feeders. I am thinking about getting one but wanted to know if a power feeders can be turned on its side. I want to mill a bead on the edge of several hundred feet of trim and thought that I would get a power feeder to do that on a router table.

You can certainly use it with the wheels pushing against a fence, rather than down on the table. They are made to do both from the same mounting location.

I agree - power feeders are great. Safe, fast, consistent quality. They open the door to climb cutting, which is less likely to ruin an almost finished part, like door edges.

I've used many different kinds: 1/4 , 1/2 and 1 HP; with 3 and 4 wheels feed and belts. Chinese, Italian, German. All have their uses, and function in much the same way. A 1/4 HP would be perfect for the router table. Get the low speed gear kit.

Mike Heidrick
03-02-2007, 12:43 AM
I have a 1/8hp versafeeder for sale on ebay if anyone who wants one for a router table is interested. It would be PERFECT for that use. It is too small for a big shaper so I ordered a 1hp Delta. Auction Starts at $150. Rodon2 is my ebay id.