PDA

View Full Version : Freud SD608, Arbor length?

Doug Long
03-01-2007, 5:15 PM
In response to my earlier thread about Dado heads I appreciate everyones responces, all are good suggestions. My question now is about how much arbor length one needs for the sd608, I have a shopfox w1677, which has 1-3/8" of arbor not including the nut which is about 7/16" . Is this enough? Also, I would assume that you do not run the outer arbor washer in this setup.

glenn bradley
03-01-2007, 5:47 PM
Rule of thumb is that your arbor nut sould go on all the way. That is the arbor should (at least) be flush with the surface of the nut. I am surprised by the number of saws that will not run a 13/16" dado set. I was ready to get the Adjust-a-dado till I found it would not fit. Still doing dados with my router and looking for a good excuse to spend the money on a stacked dado.

Ted Miller
03-01-2007, 5:53 PM
Doug, Some TS like mine you run a washer for 12" blades to make it 1" arbor, but 6" and 8" dados have no problem with standard 5/8 arbors for length...

Mike Goetzke
03-01-2007, 9:18 PM
Arbor length less nut thickness = 1-3/32" for a 3/4" stack.

(It's really a shame this wasn't designed to fit more saws. I actually have a special arbor nut design that would allow an extra 1/4" for this set but the mod would also require some machining on the dial ring - I'm not capable of machining these parts myself.)

Charles McCracken
03-02-2007, 9:26 AM
Arbor length less nut thickness = 1-3/32" for a 3/4" stack.

(It's really a shame this wasn't designed to fit more saws. I actually have a special arbor nut design that would allow an extra 1/4" for this set but the mod would also require some machining on the dial ring - I'm not capable of machining these parts myself.)

Actually, the formula is:

Arbor Length MINUS Nut Thickness MINUS 7/32" = Max Dado width unless a smaller width is stated in the saw's user's manual.

So for a 3/4" wide dado you would need 31/32" plus nut thickness.

Charles McCracken
03-02-2007, 9:29 AM
Doug,

Based on your measurements, the most you could stack on your arbor and still thread the nut completely is 23/32" (1-3/8 - 7/16 - 7/32 = 23/32"). Be sure to check the saw's user's manual for max width the saw can run to be sure you do not exceed the manufacturer's recommendation.

Doug Long
03-02-2007, 6:22 PM
Charles,

Thanks for the info, is the 7/32" measurement the extra that is required for the hub on the sd608? I liked the idea of not having to deal with the shims, but if that is the max width I could get out of it maybe I should just stick to a plain stacking set. Although I would probably never use it for anything over 3/4" wide.

Mike Goetzke
03-03-2007, 12:20 AM
Actually, the formula is:

Arbor Length MINUS Nut Thickness MINUS 7/32" = Max Dado width unless a smaller width is stated in the saw's user's manual.

So for a 3/4" wide dado you would need 31/32" plus nut thickness.

Sorry if my info was out of date - maybe the specs on the dado set have changed. I got my info here a while back:http://www.newwoodworker.com/reviews/Frdsd608rvu.html

Charles McCracken
03-03-2007, 3:28 PM
Doug,

Yes, 7/32" is the amount to allow for hub thickness. You might check with the saw manufacturer to see if a thinner arbor nut is available for dado use. These have been around in the past but I don't know if they are still made and for which saws.