PDA

View Full Version : Laser label worth doing?

Scott Shepherd
03-01-2007, 2:21 PM
A regular customer called today and they wanted to know if we could do some vinyl lettering for them. I know pure vinyl is a no-no, so that's why I'm here.

Basically, it'd be a long list of names, all put on a glass wall.

Probably in the neighborhood of 18" x 24" with loads of 1/2" tall names.

Is there a good product to do this with on the laser? Something with a backing sheet or something, that allows it all to be put up as one, instead of having to put it up name by name or line by line?

I've never seen or done anything like that before, so I'm lost, but would like to give it a go if I can find the right product.

Thanks-
Scott

Joe Pelonio
03-01-2007, 2:26 PM
The problem is that it's nearly impossible to cut through the vinyl without also cutting through the release liner, or welding them together. This is an application for plotter, not laser. The plotter custs all the letters, then you weed out the background and centers of letters like a and e, apply transfer tape, and it all lifts off together to install all at once, all perfectly lined up.
Contact a local sign shop and ask about a wholesale price, or consider buying one of the less expensive vinyl cutters, if you think you'd like to do more of it, like sold here:

http://uscutterdirect.com/

Scott Shepherd
03-01-2007, 2:50 PM
Thanks Joe! Those machines are inexpensive and look like they'd do the job.

We'd be looking at doing 7 or 8 of these and they would constantly change, so we'd more than likely be using it a lot.

Are those machines you listed pretty decent? Work with Corel? Couldn't see that on their description. It said that it may or may not work on other software.

Mike Null
03-01-2007, 3:06 PM
I agree with Joe but there is a way to do it on the laser. It involves using a material such as IPI Laser thin. This material has an adhesive backing and you can kiss cut it, apply transfer paper and install a whole sheet of names at once.

Mitchell Andrus
03-01-2007, 3:13 PM
I'm with Mike on this, I do it all the time.

Joe Pelonio
03-01-2007, 3:51 PM
I'm with Mike on this, I do it all the time.

You guys are right, except that the laserlites are thicker and not glossy, I'd say they'd be OK on signs but for glass in an office is just not going to look as good as vinyl.

As for that machine I linked to, I can't comment on the quality yet, but have one coming in tomorrow to test out, I met the owner of the company (see other thread on plotters).

Nick Cardone
03-01-2007, 4:02 PM
Hi Joe,

I have used a unit from http://www.desaypc.com/phcutter.html , Master 24" for over a year now...It paid for itself in the first few months of operation....i believe this unit is very simlilar to the one you will be testing out....I also have a 24 " Roland GX-24 CAMM-1 Servo and i'd say cut-quality wise the Master is pretty close...it's just very noisy !

For the money - you cant beat it...but i'd keep it only as a back-up if this is your full time job and go with a Roland, Graphtec, or Summa product for long term reliability...

Cheers,

Nick

Joe Pelonio
03-01-2007, 4:31 PM
It may even be made by the same manufacturer and just marketed under another name. I have a Gerber and a Graphtec, but those are both about
6 times the price.

Scott, those come with a program called Artcut. You import the files to Artcut from Corel to cut them. There is another program called Cocut that can be purchased elsewhere that does the same thing, but is more like a "plugin" so that you can cut from within Corel.

Mike Null
03-01-2007, 5:03 PM
Scott:

This site has several vinyl tutorials so you can get a better idea of the process. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FDdY4a9ChKc

Lee DeRaud
03-01-2007, 5:16 PM
It may even be made by the same manufacturer and just marketed under another name. I have a Gerber and a Graphtec, but those are both about 6 times the price. No kidding. Having dealt with large-format pen plotters in a past life, I was a bit shocked: it looked like those prices were missing a zero. :eek:

Joe Pelonio
03-01-2007, 7:36 PM
No kidding. Having dealt with large-format pen plotters in a past life, I was a bit shocked: it looked like those prices were missing a zero. :eek:
The Gerber was $10,000 in 1998, the Graphtec $3,500 in 2003. To replace that one today would cost me $3,095.They have come down with more competition. These US Cutter machines are made in China. Remember when after WWII the imported goods from Japan were cheaper but always seemed to be of inferior quality? Eventually, when they found out that US buyers like things to last, they became the top manufacturers of electronics, then cars, and are probably still leading both today.

It looks to me like the Chinese manufacturers are starting to go down the same road, initial offerings had quality issues, as well as documentation and support weaknesses. With people here importing and supporting them and providing feedback the quality has improved greatly but price is so much less that one could buy an extra one for backup and still come out ahead.

Bill Cunningham
03-01-2007, 8:13 PM
Hey Joe! Is the manual written in Engrish :D

Scott Shepherd
03-05-2007, 12:55 PM
This job is long gone, as they changed their mind on the entire project, but it sent me looking for polyester vinyl to laser.

Someone on another post mentioned using signwarehouse.com for a resource. They sell lasers and cutters and when I enquired about a polyester material that I could laser, I got a definite "NO". I asked if they had any material that I could laser in that department and they said "NO". They said they were very familiar with the topic and the answer was still no.

I did some testing with laser lights today. Looks good enough for what I'll be doing.

If anyone else has found a source for a vinylish material that's safe to laser, I'd love to look into it. Keeping in mind, I'm looking for something that there's no doubt it's safe to use, as our machine is brand new and the last thing we need to do something that voids the warranty.