PDA

View Full Version : Which Dovetail Jig AKEDA OR LEIGH???

Tom McCann
03-01-2007, 1:53 PM
I was hoping I could get a poll going on pro and cons of both models.

I am in the market for a dovetail jig and would like something that will last with time and fairly easy to setup. :eek:

I am new to dovetailing, but realize that dovetails are the right choice for drawer and other applications.

Any suggestions are welcome

Quite confused over all the options seems like leigh and akeda are the big choices why are they so $$$ over say the simpler models like PC

Darroll Walsh
03-01-2007, 2:01 PM
Are you open to other ways to make dovetails? like Incra's LS Super System?

Jody Malinich
03-01-2007, 2:06 PM
Darroll,

I'm new to dovetail world also. I picked up the Liegh D4R a couple of weeks ago. Very simple to use and set up. Spendy, but ease of use and variety of spacing were my decision factors. The manual that comes with it is very thorough and I had perfect dovetails first time thru with very minor adjustment to get the fit I was looking for.

Jody

Jason Tuinstra
03-01-2007, 2:26 PM
Tom, I have owned the Leigh D4 for quite some time and have no complaints. It's a quality product that will do all that you want in whatever configuration that you want.

While I prefer the look of handcut dovetails, I still use the Leigh for projects where speed is required and it's never let me down.

Tom McCann
03-01-2007, 2:38 PM
Would you say the D4 is the best bet? Does everything come with that package?

Mike Hill
03-01-2007, 3:30 PM
Tom: I have the Akeda DC 16. Prior to that I owned a Porter Cable jig. I could never understand the instructions with Porter Cable and finally sold it. When I purchased the Akeda, It came with very clear and specific instructions. I might add, I have heard nothing but good things about the Leigh Jig's.
Mike

Dave Richards
03-01-2007, 3:51 PM
Why not look at the WoodRat?

Cliff Rohrabacher
03-01-2007, 4:02 PM
I have the Omnijig and the Leigh D4.
They are both good and each has things it does better than the other. The PC is in my opinion bullet proof and once you set it up for a drawer width and a routter deppth it's going to give you flawless performance over and over again.

The Leigh has a fine tune mechanism that has visual references for adjusting the depth of cut
it works great. The PC is a little tougher but once your router is set you are golden.

The instructions for each are written horribly but it's probably as good as one can do using words to describe it. Get the video and you will be all set. All them pictures flikering by tell a thousand words each.

Harley Lewis
03-01-2007, 4:16 PM
Well, I have to disagree with the instructions comments. Leigh has probably the most comprehensive and clearly written manual ever created. The Leigh manual is very easy to follow, and you can get good joints right away with the Leigh. It has great flexibility and it is built very well, actually it is a life time purchase. People that have the Akeda like it, so like most tools it is just a personal preference.

Fred Voorhees
03-01-2007, 4:46 PM
Yeah, I have to disagree with Cliff also. I have the D4 and I have found the manual to be absolutely fantastic and easy to comprehend. One of the things always mentioned when there are posts about the Leigh jig is the ease of following, understanding and applying the instructions found in the manual. Don't know where Cliffs thoughts were based in, but the manual is a very well done piece of literature. That being said, I have to also mention how great it has been having the D4 in my shop arsenal. I just dug it out about a month ago to do up a couple of drawers and a quick look at the manual and it was like I had been using it regularly. It is money well spent.

Jim Summers
03-01-2007, 4:57 PM
I have been using the Leigh jig for a little more than a year now. It has been easy to use and the manual is good.

I was a lucky purchaser and got one from a production run that somehow reversed the bar that the pin and tail adjustments slide on. Which on the first pass through the manual caused me great stress. I called leigh and had to leave a message, thinking, "oh great". But, I actually got a call back from them within 24 hours and the guy explained the problem and everything. Since then not a single problem, other than the guy running the router.

I used it for a sliding dovetail once and it came out perfect on the first go.

HTH

John Ricci
03-01-2007, 5:26 PM
I'll add another round of applause for the Leigh D4 documentation...simple and to the point making it tough to make mistakes. The very first tails I cut with it to try it out ended up being a box with rubber feet that my wife diplays in the kitchen to hold condiment bottles and she loves it:rolleyes:. I also own the Incra Ultra/Intellifence system on a LV table and the documentation for their tools is pretty nearly in the same league as that from Leigh. Everything is easy to understand and projects can be a literal walk-through with the manual by your side even if you have not used it in a while.

I find each of the systems have their strengths, for dovetails the Leigh is very fast once set up so multiples can be hammered out quickly and the Incra is my first choice for "laser tight" finger joints. As for the other jigs mentioned, I don't have any experience with them therefore no opinion of any value to contribute:(.

Doug Shepard
03-01-2007, 5:42 PM
Why not look at the WoodRat?

Is this what you mean Dave?
http://www.dec.state.ny.us/website/dfwmr/wildlife/endspec/alwofs.html
:D :D :D

Dave Richards
03-01-2007, 6:36 PM
Is this what you mean Dave?
http://www.dec.state.ny.us/website/dfwmr/wildlife/endspec/alwofs.html
:D :D :D

Zackly! :D :D :D

Allen Bookout
03-01-2007, 7:21 PM
Looks like that I ended up in enemy territory. I have the Akeda and like it a lot. Easy setup and is very accurate.

CPeter James
03-01-2007, 8:51 PM
I have the Akeda. I bought it because I only wanted to do things that were under 16" in width. If I was going to do wider things, the the D$ would have to be the one to look at, except, check out the NEW PC Omni Jig coming out soon. I also understand the Akeda is going to make a 24" jig. The Akeda is easy to use and versatile and between the D1600 and the Akeda, I'd go with the Akeda again. Price wise, to get into the bigger jigs you are looking at $500 to $700 with all the bits and accessories. The Akeda with all the goodies is on sale for $400.

CPeter

Robert Strasser
03-01-2007, 9:39 PM
I own the Akeda and Keller jigs and used to own a Leigh. Keller only does through dovetails. I use the Keller upside down on my router table. It does not get any easier than with a Keller. Downside is no flexibility in spacing. You have to design your project around the jig. The Akeda has worked for me. I have no problems making good joints. I like the Akeda because of how it supports the router and good dust collection. With jigs like the Leigh, you have to be a little careful and not tip the router. I found the working position a little hard on my back. However, Leigh is coming out with a fix to the tipping and thrown in dust colllection at the same time. Leigh calls it the Leigh Vacuum and Router Support. (See http://www.leighjigs.com/vrs.php) I used to own a Leigh Jig. I have nothing against it, but I just did't use all it's capabilities. The Leigh did not meet my "limited" uses. The Akeda is just faster to set up and use. I usually do one test cut which comes out good at least 90 percent of the time.

In summay, you should try to identify how you plan to use the jig. If you are like me, that is pretty hard to do. I was new to dovetails when I bought my Leigh. If maximum flexibility (spacing, location and fit) is foremost, then the Leigh is the way to go. But with anything that gives you maximum flexibility you pay with set up time and complexity. I'm not saying it is the most complex thing you'll ever use, but it is more complex than the Akeda, and the simple Keller. If you follow the outstanding Leigh manual, you can't go wrong. The manual will even teach you quite a bit about dovetails. After the Leigh manual, I found the Akeda manual quite limited. Fortunately, the Leigh tought me enough about dovetails so I could follow the simplistic Akeda instructions.

I think I rambled a bit here. But I like all the jigs. The Leigh sounds more inviting to me now with the new vacuum and support accessory. The Leigh system is not cheap, but the manual, equipment, and a first rate company (IMO) for support makes it worth it to me. If you go with the Akeda, add the cost of the Whiteside bits made for the Akeda. I've found them to be much better and longer lasting.

Eric Wong
03-01-2007, 11:01 PM
I'm pretty familiar with the Akeda, not as much with the Leigh. The Akeda has some strongpoints, but the Leigh is generally considered to be the gold standard. Here's my take, in no particular order.

1. The Akeda gives full support to the router, since the bit rides between two rails. However, I think Leigh just came out with an add-on for extra router support.

2. The Akeda is a little cheaper to start, but when you add in the extra stuff you need to cut any kind of dovetail in any thickness workpiece, it ends up being about the same as the Leigh.

3. The Akeda only comes in a 16" wide model, the Leigh is 24". Akeda originally planned to come out with wider models, but we haven't seen them yet.

4. Dust collection is much better on the Akeda, but you need the DC kit which is sold separately. Leigh has a DC solution, but its still not as good as the Akeda.

5. The Leigh has a steeper learning curve, perhaps because the Akeda manual is so well done. But it also may have to do with the engineering. The Akeda is designed so there are almost no adjustments that need to be made. However, you have to have bits that are specifically made for the jig. I don't know if any major bit manufacturers are making bits or if you have to buy them from Akeda.

6. The Akeda is a little easier to perform one-handed clamping of a workpiece.

7. The Leigh has infinitely adjustable spacing, the Akeda is limited to spacing in 1/8" increments. Pretty close, but advantage to Leigh.

I think I would buy the Akeda if it came in a 24" model. Right now I hand cut really ugly dovetails.

Ken Waag
03-01-2007, 11:44 PM
Tom,

No doubt both are great machines ,so your decision will be based on which features matter most to you.

I own the Akeda and have not used the Leigh, just so you know where I'm coming from.

I think the Leigh has more flexibility, but along with that goes some added complexity. The Akeda manual is idiot proof and I knocked out a dozen drawers the first time out without so much as an adjustment.

I have not had to get the manual back out since, which to me is one benchmark of a good product. If you have to constantly refer to the manual, the product needs to be redesigned.

The DC on the Akeda is excellent, a big deal to me as too much dust and my sinuses go nuts.

Enjoy whichever you choose!
Ken

Tom Cowie
03-02-2007, 6:17 AM
Hi Tom

I have the Leigh Jig (D4) also ( 6yrs now). The jig is very versital and is only limited by my imagination. I learn something new every time that I use it.
the manual is very specific and explains procedures very well. You can make beautiful dovetails with this jig.

Dislikes would be price and assembly. Was'nt hard to put together I just thought that something that cost that much shouldn't have to be assembled.

You will get frustrated if you try to take this jig to the max right out of the box, there is a learning curve. Must read the manual and keep it handy..

I heard great things about the Akeda but I have no experience with it..

Tom

Robert Strasser
03-02-2007, 11:01 AM
5. The Leigh has a steeper learning curve, perhaps because the Akeda manual is so well done. But it also may have to do with the engineering. The Akeda is designed so there are almost no adjustments that need to be made. However, you have to have bits that are specifically made for the jig. I don't know if any major bit manufacturers are making bits or if you have to buy them from Akeda.

Whiteside has been making Akeda bits for some time. They are much better than the bits that comes with the Akeda jig.

Mark Valsi
03-02-2007, 11:11 AM
I LIKE THE AKEDA !!

haven't used; the Leigh, but the AKEDA is very easy to use as stated above.

Eric Wong
03-02-2007, 11:31 AM
Whiteside has been making Akeda bits for some time. They are much better than the bits that comes with the Akeda jig.

Good to know, thanks!

Paul Johnstone
03-02-2007, 11:56 AM
I agree that it's a good idea to check out the jointech and incra router table fence solutions for dovetails. They are useful for other purposes too.
For example, there's the built in dust collection on the router table fence, and they are both such nice fences..

Tom McCann
03-02-2007, 2:49 PM
Thank you everyone for all the great feedback. Now I just have to decide on how much flexibilty I will want

Thanks again

Craig D Peltier
03-02-2007, 3:05 PM
Issue 175 March -Wood magazine (has blanket chest on front). Has a very thorough test on 10 dovetail jigs.Found it very helpful.

Jim Becker
03-02-2007, 4:48 PM
Both the Akeda and Leigh offerings are top notch. Akeda potentially has slightly easier setup due to the way the fingers are held, but the Leigh is easier to provide exact spacing and arrangements if you are particular about scale and proportion. There will soon be a "new kid on the block" to compete with these two from PC...it will be interesting to see the reviews and comparisons once it's available. In the mean time, I feel that the Leigh has the best tool manual in the business...something that all tool companies could learn from.

Tom McCann
03-03-2007, 2:54 PM
I want to Thank everyone for there advice. I ended up with the D1600 even got the 10% off at woodworkers.

It will fit my needs well

Thanks again :D

Randy Acton
03-04-2007, 12:06 PM
I use the leigh jig (use might be a bad word as it collects more dust than anything). I've found that practice with handcuts has proved to be a better option.

I don't use dovetails all that often but now that I am proficient at handcutting I can whip out a couple drawers in less time than it takes to dust off the leigh and get it set up. And I must say that the handcuts are much more visually appealing.

Ed Gibbons
03-04-2007, 4:29 PM
Good jig. I also like the instructional DVD that came with it.

Tools still come down to a preference. Most do the job.