PDA

View Full Version : GO580 14'' Bandsaw!

Charles Jackson III
03-01-2007, 1:04 PM
Hello I am new to the board, and I made a few projects, and I have some basic tools, I have a Delta Benchtop Table Saw, Circular Saw, Jig Saw, Router, Corded and Cordlless Drills, and a Finish Sander. I would like to add a Grizzly GO580 14'' bandsaw I am wondering is it a good bandsaw for the money. out of all the bandsaws I think this one is the best. I am also wondering should I upgrade my Black and Decker Jigsaw?

glenn bradley
03-01-2007, 1:11 PM
I can't comment on the BS as I am still running my C-man POS 12". On the jigsaw however I can relate my experience. I ran a Skil jigsaw for about 20 years. It was jumpy, loud, vibrated, etc. but just wouldn't die.

I needed a controllable jigsaw for a project and decided the time was right. After extensive checking with the Creekers and other sources I got the Bosch 1591 VS. I was . . . amazed. I had no idea that a jigsaw was a real tool. I still smile every time I use it.

Bill Leung
03-01-2007, 1:39 PM
I used an old Craftsman Jigsaw for 20 years. Like Glenn, the thing never died so I kept using it. Finally, I decided to go with the Bosch. Now my fillings don't rattle.

On the BS, I'm considering the Rikon 14" $450 + 10% off at WC this weekend.

Travis Hirst
03-01-2007, 1:56 PM
I have that same saw and IMO it is worth the money as it does all that I need it to do. However, I did find that the fence is not all that great and a little cheesey. You can upgrade to something like the Mule fence for around $100.00 but at the same time you could just get the g0555 which has the upgraded fence as well as an enclosed cabinet for the saw. It also has the roller bearing guides where the 0580 just has the cooling blocks top and bottom. If I were to do it again I think I would just go with the 0555.

Travis

Charles Jackson III
03-01-2007, 2:10 PM
I wonder is RIDGID
3/4 hp 14 In. Band Saw with Stand a good bandsaw for the price?

Bill Wyko
03-01-2007, 3:11 PM
Before you buy, check out the Rikon. I've got one and it's a great saw especially for the price.

Charles Jackson III
03-01-2007, 3:19 PM
I wont be buying at the moment I got to save up first.

glenn bradley
03-01-2007, 4:26 PM
In a recent article a well known BS guru (not too well known as I forget his name) showed how to trick out a BS. He used a General and a Ridgid to show how similar tricks could make both saws cut the same. The add-ons were about as much as the Ridgid cost.

Ted Miller
03-01-2007, 4:44 PM
Charles I have the GO555 and its a great saw, I just changed the fence to a Kreg with a resaw guide. Not saying the OEM fence is bad but I am a tool holic and I needed a different fence. I did replace the tires as soon as I got the saw but the guides are excellent and I would purchase another Griz BS no problem...

Rick Moyer
03-01-2007, 4:49 PM
I have the G0555 I bought a year or two ago, pretty happy with it but have nothing to compare it to. Haven't looked at the one you mention.
Now the jigsaw, do yourself a huge favor and definitely get the Bosch. get some good Bosch blades and you'll find yourself using it for cuts you never would have before, it's that much better than the B&D!

John Bailey
03-01-2007, 5:44 PM
Here's another vote for the Bosch. I also use the Craftsman for about 20 years until I got the Bosch this year. Like night and day.

John

Brian Keith
03-01-2007, 9:01 PM
Charles I have a comparison of 6 of the more well known 14" saws. Craftsman,general.grizzly,laguna,rikon and yorkcraft. A member here sent it to me and I can foward it along to you if you want? I made my decision about a month ago from this article. It has the Rikon 10-325 as the editors choice and the Craftsman 22401 as the best value. I went with the Craftsman. Let me know if you want it.

Charles Jackson III
03-01-2007, 10:58 PM
Well I dont have the funds now I need to save up first.