PDA

View Full Version : Veritas straightedges and the like? Are they worth it?

Kevin Blunt
03-01-2007, 11:11 AM
Hello,

I am going to be attending the Woodshow tomorrow in Toronto (if the roads are not skating rinks. Saturday otherwise) and am planning on buying a straightedge from LV. I got to thinking today if it was really necessary. Right now I am using a cast aluminum 48" level with machined edges as my straightedge but was thinking that the LV Straightedge would benefit me when doing setups on my machinery etc etc. I guess what I would like are to hear some opinions on what others are using for their precision straightedge.

Would a Veritas 38" (or the like) Aluminum Straightedge really benefit me over the 48" level that I am using now? I understand that the tolerances would probably be less stringent on the machining of the level but are we not just talking about hair thicknesses here?

I have a new Shop fox 8" jointer that I want to put through the paces for setup but I will get to that in another post when I get a chance (full review coming soon with pics) .

Here is a link on what I am planning to purchase if I do. The 38" aluminum version.
http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...at=1,240,45313 (http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.aspx?c=1&p=50074&cat=1,240,45313)

I would really appreciate your thoughts on this.

Thanks folks.

Kevin

glenn bradley
03-01-2007, 11:34 AM
IMHO, yes they are worth it. I even pass on "vendor brand" stright edges because they are rarely better than .002" over the length of the tool. My machined aluminum level has ridges in the machined surface that are greater than that. I do toggle back and forth on paying double for steel or going aluminum. I'd be interested in owber's comments on the virtues of each.

P.s. I wouldn't get one that wouldn't stand on the long edge on it's own to allow me to have two hands free.

Ted Miller
03-01-2007, 11:36 AM
Kevin, I went with Woodworkers Precision Steel Straightedges from Garrett Wade. They are fine for setting up all machines without killing your pocketbook. I have the 12", 24" and 36"...

Paul Johnstone
03-01-2007, 11:46 AM
The price isn't that bad.

IMO, a jointer knife doesn't need to be set to within .002" or whatever, but that's just me. Usually by the time I have jointed, planed, sanded, glued, routed, etc. several weeks have gone by and the wood has naturally moved more than .002" out of flatness anyhow.

Jay Goddard
03-01-2007, 12:01 PM
I purchased an $8 48" aluminum straight-edge from Sears, brought it in to work where I could check it on our granite surface plate. I couldn't get a .0015" feeler gauge under any portion of it. That was good enough for me.

The downside is that it is pretty floppy and won't stand on edge. When setting up my jointer I just used a small C-clamp to help it stand upright.

It won't replace a precision ground Starrett straight edge, but if money's tight it will do the trick.

Kevin Blunt
03-01-2007, 12:42 PM
Kevin, I went with Woodworkers Precision Steel Straightedges from Garrett Wade. They are fine for setting up all machines without killing your pocketbook. I have the 12", 24" and 36"...

Ted,

Can you send me the link. Thanks!

Kevin

Gary Keedwell
03-01-2007, 12:55 PM
I had problems with my jointer a few years ago and was usinf a 4' level and couldn't get it right. After I received my Starrett... I had my jointer working perfect in 1 hour. I use my 4' as a standard now for all my other straight edges. It might be over-kill, but I feel confident in my "ground" Starrett.

Gary K.

Al Willits
03-01-2007, 12:59 PM
Just bought the 50" version, it's my belief in making the cutting tools I own as accurate as possible, both my jointer and planer blades are with in a thou and I feel the beds should be a straight and parallel as possible.
Probably the machinist trainning I had, but it seems to work for me and basicly only requires more set up time, and time I have lots of..:)

Whatever works for ya.

Al

Noel Hegan
03-01-2007, 1:37 PM
Kevin, if you're confident that your 48" level is straight, does what you ask of it, why get the Varitas straight edge? However, I used to use levels as a straight edge until I got the Veritas 38". Now I know and have confidence that the Veritas is as straight as I'll ever need and you do get a feeling that it is a "proper" tool, if you know what I mean. Use it all the time now. Even although it's alu, it's surprisingly (and reassuringly) heavy.
Of course it's always good to go to a show with a "purpose" and leave with something you "need". As I said, it's up to you.

Noel

Jim Underwood
03-01-2007, 1:43 PM
I bought the 50" from them, and I have not used it yet. Price was definitely right though.

When I get through messing with the jointer, I'll let you know how I like it.

Looks like Garrett Wade is here:

http://www.garrettwade.com/index.jsp

http://www.garrettwade.com/jump.jsp?itemType=PRODUCT&itemID=107414

Wish I'd known about these when I was shopping around...

glenn bradley
03-01-2007, 2:11 PM
The GW's look nice and are about 3/16" thick so they will stand on edge if you're careful. If you want a more stable piece, the alum Veritas are about 7/16" and a little more stable for about the same $$$. This let's you use both hands and make reasonable adjustments without the straight edge falling over.

I was glad to see Noel's post as I have no problem with alum, it's just that steel will take a 'little' more abuse without losing integrity. Either way I'll bet everyone has a special place to store these so accidents don't happen :D .

Ted Miller
03-01-2007, 4:50 PM
Kevin, Jim two posts up has the link and these guys have been onsale for two months, good buy for all three.

Glen, yes I keep them hung by their holes high on the shelf now, walked by one and just moved it and it feel off and cut my shoulder right through my shirt, glad I caught it but still drew blood, so now the nail is a 16d instead of a 6d...

Kevin Blunt
03-01-2007, 5:21 PM
Kevin, Jim two posts up has the link and these guys have been onsale for two months, good buy for all three.

Glen, yes I keep them hung by their holes high on the shelf now, walked by one and just moved it and it feel off and cut my shoulder right through my shirt, glad I caught it but still drew blood, so now the nail is a 16d instead of a 6d...

Ted,

thanks for your help. I had already gone to the website but I think it will be cheaper to go with LV due to the shipping costs and all that darn Duty and customs stuff

Ted Miller
03-01-2007, 5:50 PM
Sorry I did not even notice where you were from, duty and customs what a drag, I know the LVs will be just as fine...

Allen Bookout
03-01-2007, 7:17 PM
I have the Veritas 50" aluminun one. I use it much more than expected, not only for machine setups but also for checking wood, bench tops and so on. I personally think that the 50" one is the way to go. The longer it is the more accuracy over longer distances.

Dick Latshaw
03-01-2007, 7:39 PM
I have the Veritas 50" aluminun one. I use it much more than expected, not only for machine setups but also for checking wood, bench tops and so on. I personally think that the 50" one is the way to go. The longer it is the more accuracy over longer distances.
You guys are a bunch of wimps. I use a 2x4 that I got at Home Depot to set up all my machines and they run just fine. Why waste money on that metal stuff?

Just kidding!:) I also have the Veritas 50" one and find it most useful.

Eddie Darby
03-01-2007, 8:54 PM
I find that, as with most tools I get, once you have them, you wonder how you ever got along without them. I used mine to make my bandsaw wheels co-planar, set-up my jointer, check my table saw top for flatness, joint wood perfectly, adjust my planer extension tables.....

Gary Keedwell
03-01-2007, 9:35 PM
I find that, as with most tools I get, once you have them, you wonder how you ever got along without them. I used mine to make my bandsaw wheels co-planar, set-up my jointer, check my table saw top for flatness, joint wood perfectly, adjust my planer extension tables.....

Amen

Gary K.;)

RichMagnone
03-01-2007, 11:01 PM
I got a chance to see the steel one at the Milwaukee WW show. It is hefty and you just want to own one when you pick it up!

Ken Waag
03-01-2007, 11:20 PM
I also have the 50" LV aluminum. I am rarely, make that never dissappointed with LV's stuff.

The straight edge sees more use than I ever thought, a great sign of a smart buy. Truing up machines, tops, checking boards. It stands up on it's own which is a MUST. Yet it thin enough (unlike a level) that I can easily eyebal for light. I'd buy it again.
Ken