PDA

View Full Version : First Place

Jerry Todd
12-10-2003, 9:53 AM
Entered a jewelry box in a local, (Ocala Florida), Workshop Club last night and took first place, ($50.00). The box is crafted from Imbuia, AKA Brazilan Walnut. Plans from Lois Keener Ventura's book, "Building Beautiful Boxes with your Band Saw". This is my fourth Bandsaw box and will be my wife's Christmas Gift.

Ron Smith ... Richmond, VA
12-10-2003, 9:58 AM
Entered a jewelry box in a local, (Ocala Florida), Workshop Club last night and took first place, ($50.00). The box is crafted from Imbuia, AKA Brazilan Walnut. Plans from Lois Keener Ventura's book, "Building Beautiful Boxes with your Band Saw". This is my fourth Bandsaw box and will be my wife's Christmas Gift.

Jerry, that is beautiful! Looking at some of these you folks are doing makes me want to give it a shot. Great work and thanks for sharing the picts.

Ron

Joe Tonich
12-10-2003, 10:29 AM

Jerry,

Nice box! I like making them, they're "different" and make wonderful gifts. I made the same one out of cherry for the new neighbors as a Welcome to the neighborhood/Wedding gift. Your wife is gonna love it!

Joe

Jim Becker
12-10-2003, 11:32 AM
Beautiful work, Jerry. Congratulations on the win!! Maybe I'll get lucky and get to see your work sometime given my parents live just south of you in Sumerfield just below Ocala...

David Hayes
12-10-2003, 11:35 AM
Very nice! As has been said by others, I am going to have to try to make some of these boxes. Thanks for sharing your winning work.
Dave

Jason Tuinstra
12-10-2003, 11:57 AM
Jerry, nice looking box. It will make a great gift. And if you add your winnings, I'm sure your wife will like it all the more! :D

Jason

Julie Wright
12-10-2003, 12:39 PM
Very Nice box, CONGRATULATIONS ON YOUR First Place WIN!
:D :D

John Miliunas
12-10-2003, 1:08 PM
Nicely done, Jerry! BS boxes have always been one of my personal favorites and you did that one justice. I was going to say that maybe you should take the fifty and buy LOYL something to put in the box. On second thought, put the blue ribbon in the box, give her the whole thing and buy yourself a new tool! :D :cool:

Phil Phelps
12-10-2003, 4:17 PM
....Two thumbs up!!!! ;)

Todd Burch
12-10-2003, 4:33 PM
Great job Jerry! How you gonna spend the $50 bucks??? Mo' wood? Mo' tools? Take the Mrs. out to eat? Enjoy!! Todd.

Dennis Peacock
12-10-2003, 5:49 PM
Very nice BS box...!!!! Congrats on your winning the club showing.!!

I have GOT to figure out how to make those BS boxes....

mike malone
12-11-2003, 12:25 PM
Entered a jewelry box in a local, (Ocala Florida), my wife's Christmas Gift.

beautiful jerry!!!
i take it that the $50 goes with the box at christmas, right??
mike

Ron Jones near Indy
12-11-2003, 8:07 PM
Could you recommend a good book or other reference on BS boxes? They look like fun! Thanks for posting.

John Miliunas
12-11-2003, 10:21 PM
Could you recommend a good book or other reference on BS boxes? They look like fun! Thanks for posting.

Not to butt in, but Jerry does have that info for you in his text. It's:
Plans from Lois Keener Ventura's book, "Building Beautiful Boxes with your Band Saw".

I can say with some "authority", that it is indeed one fine book on the subject and will most probably answer any question you may have on it. You get great step-by-step procedures and even templates, which you are free to use. Very well put together book. :cool:

Fred Pelt
05-09-2006, 1:43 PM
Very nice work. I've been making some of the boxes from that
book also. Where did you get the wood? I've been using red
oak, poplar and pine from the local Loew's. I've looked online
but I haven't found a source I'm sure of yet.

Mike Zozakiewicz
05-09-2006, 1:54 PM
Great looking box Jerry! Love the look of that wood.

Mike