PDA

View Full Version : Laser Starts Up Late

Bob Kline
03-01-2007, 10:08 AM
When I lower the table on my Epilog Mini 18 to focus on a thicker work piece then begin to engrave, the head moves but the laser beam doesn't kick in for about 2 seconds. This doesn't happen if I don't lower the table. I compensate by starting the job with the lid open, resetting, then starting again but I've been known to forget and have ruined a few pieces. Any idea why this happens and is there a way to correct it?
Thanks

Ben Levesque
03-01-2007, 11:50 AM
I have something similar, but it is mostly related to heating up the laser tube by using it on a scrap part during the first job, if the laser is not use daily.

See this thread about it. Maybe this problem is the same as yours.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=48204

Ben

Paul Torrigino
03-01-2007, 12:11 PM
Hey Bob,
I have the mini 24, 45 watt laser and I have the same issue, but only when I first turn the machine on for the day. I guess it's just warming up because after that it works fine while I still have it on. So I just put a scrap piece in when I turn on the first job of the day. I let it run until the laser fires up, then reset it and start the real job. Works fine.

Joe Pelonio
03-01-2007, 12:16 PM
This has to be some kind of typical problem. Mine only started to do this recently, after 2 years that I didn't notice it. Generally when engraving it will make the first 3-4 passes before it fires when it's been off more than a day or two, or if it's cold in here. If I start out cutting it will miss the first .125"-.5" depending on the speed.

Dave Fifield
03-01-2007, 3:05 PM
My 36EXT does this on occasion too. It's temperature related IMO. The simple cure is to always make a dummy run for the first job after you turn it on. Works for me.