PDA

View Full Version : need jointer buying help

Evan Shea
02-28-2007, 11:46 PM
I need some advice about the two jointers that I am looking at. The first one is the grizzly G0586 with hand wheels and I belive a 2 horse motor. The second is the grizzly G0490 with parallelogram beds and a 3 horse motor.

I can get the G0586 for 599 on amazon----the other is around 800

WHAT SHOULD I DO

WHAT IS THE DEAL WITH THE PARALLELOGRAM BEDS---WHY ARE THEY BETTER AND IS IT WORTH 200 DOLLARS.

Thanks for any and all help

Evan

Ted Miller
02-28-2007, 11:56 PM
Evan, Parallelogram beds enable you to keep all four coners of each bed flat at all times, after years of use beds can get our of whack a bit and sometimes need to be shimmed in order to be flat and coplanar. I like the parallelogram system as well as hand cranks on my jointers, levers work well but I feel I can get exact with hand cranks...

Cary Swoveland
03-01-2007, 1:22 AM
I narrowed my choice to the same two Grizzly 8" jointers: the G0586 ($595) and the G0490 ($795). A couple of weeks ago I drove down from Vancouver to Grizzly's showroom and warehouse in Bellingham, WA. I spoke at length with a sales guy who was both knowledgable and helpful.

I bought the GO593.

The G0593 ($1075) is identical to the G0586 except it has a Byrd Shelix® spiral cutterhead with carbide inserts.

I had investigated the spiral cutterheads before I visited Grizzly. It seemed like a good idea, but I wasn't convinced it was worth the extra money. The sales guy was very enthusiastic about the sprial cutter, but I'm not sure he told me anything I didn't know.

OK, I thought, it's just $375 extra (The G0586 was $695 two weeks ago). What's that over several years of use? For me, the advantages of the sprial cutterhead are, in order of importance: 1) less tearout on figured woods, 2) not having to sharpen and adjust blades and 3) quieter operation.

The sales guy downplayed the parallogram's flexible table adjustment capability, arguing that all of the tables on the non-parallogram jointers are dead-flat.

The parallogram machine is heavier than the G0593/586, but, unlike the G0593/586, it does not have a built-in mobile base. The outfeed table is adjusted with a handle on the parallogram model, with a wheel on the non-parallograms. (I don't think one is better than the other--it's just a matter of preference.)

On the same trip to Grizzly, I also brought home a G0453 15" planer, which I had intended to buy. I was tempted by the spiral cutterhead option, but couldn't bring myself to fork out the extra $850.

Until recently, I had quite a low impression of Grizzly machines, in part because of the rock-bottom prices. In researching my jointer and planner purchase, I concluded that I may have been mistaken. A Grizzly 8" jointer similar to the G0586 won a shootout a couple of years, against brand-name rivals, and other Grizzly machines have been well-reviewed as well. I was also impressed by a careful examination of the machines in the Grizzly showroom.

I asked the Grizzly sales guy why the prices are so low. He said it is mainly because Grizzly does not have a dealer network. I think Grizzly's machines are made in China, rather than Taiwan. If so, that would help on cost as well.

Cary

Doug Hoffman
03-01-2007, 1:28 AM
Check out the Shopfox W1741. It is the same unit as the Griz with the Parallelogram bed.The Shopfox has a 2 year warranty,and you can deal on them. I just paid $679 plus tax( no shipping) for a total of about $715. The Griz G0490 is $795 + $139 for a total of $834. The Shopfox is sold through retail dealers,so you can price shop for the best deal.You can get a list of dealers in your area from their website.

Doug Hoffman
03-01-2007, 1:32 AM
"The parallogram machine is heavier than the G0593/586, but, unlike the G0593/586, it does not have a built-in mobile base."

Actually it is the other way around.The G0586 does not have the built in base,the G0490 does!

Cary Swoveland
03-01-2007, 1:49 AM
"The parallogram machine is heavier than the G0593/586, but, unlike the G0593/586, it does not have a built-in mobile base."

Actually it is the other way around.The G0586 does not have the built in base,the G0490 does!

You are so right, Doug. That probably explains why it's so hard to push my G0586 around the shop (and why I just bought a mobile base for it). I must have had my mobile base-equipped planer on my mind when I penned that.

Cary

Rick Moyer
03-01-2007, 8:57 AM
I need some advice about the two jointers that I am looking at. The first one is the grizzly G0586 with hand wheels and I belive a 2 horse motor. The second is the grizzly G0490 with parallelogram beds and a 3 horse motor.

Evan

I'll be watching this thread as I am in the same boat. I probably won't buy for a while yet as the Muncy tent sale is in May, and also the salesman I spoke with said Grizzly will likely have some type of sale around then, too.
I had pretty much decided on the 0586 for now. The spiral cutterheads would be great, but for the extra costs of spiral, parallelogram beds, etc., I think the 0586 may be my best option. I'm already stretching the budget at this, but know I need(want) a jointer. It's the main pc. of equipment I'm missing. The 0593 would be a great jointer if you can swing the $1075.

Rick Moyer
03-05-2007, 1:55 PM
The 0586 is currently on sale at $595. I live 1/2 hour away from Grizzly, Muncy. Is there any reason I shouldn't go get this jointer? Is this likely as good as a price I will see on this? I wonder if Grizzly is discontinuing this model for some reason as that's often why some models go on sale, but this is a fairly recent offering from Grizzly so I would be supprised at that. This forum is costing me a lot of money!!:eek:

Jim Thiel
03-05-2007, 2:49 PM
Thats a good price on a tool you have had your eye on. hmmmm, what to do, what to do.....

Jim

Cary Swoveland
03-05-2007, 3:22 PM
The 0586 is currently on sale at $595. I live 1/2 hour away from Grizzly, Muncy. Is there any reason I shouldn't go get this jointer?

I say you should resist the tempation to buy that planer. You should put that money away for your children's education, or your retirement. Besides, there's nothing that planer can do that a good quality scrub, jack and bench plane can't. You should be able to pick up a set of those three planes for about $600.

Cary

Steve Milito
03-05-2007, 3:38 PM

I can get the G0586 for 599 on amazon----the other is around 800

WHAT SHOULD I DO

WHAT IS THE DEAL WITH THE PARALLELOGRAM BEDS---WHY ARE THEY BETTER AND IS IT WORTH 200 DOLLARS.

Thanks for any and all help

Evan

You can look at the expolded designs in the PDF manuals on the Griz web site. The 586 has a 'triangle' shaped base ( /\ ) and dovetails on each side. The beds ride on the dovetails. ||||||||||/ /\ \|||||||||||

Parallelogram designs have the beds resting on cams that move the bed either "up and over", or "down and out". There are also four adjustment points on the beds to level it.

Randy Klein
05-03-2007, 7:26 AM
I just paid $679 plus tax( no shipping) for a total of about $715.

Doug, please tell me where you got this price for the W1741? I am ready to buy and would like this price very much. Thanks.

So far, I'm being quoted $899. But I haven't tried to deal yet.

Greg Cole
05-03-2007, 9:16 AM
Cary,
I have a G0856 & love it. I will upgrade to the Shelix for it once I use up my spare HSS blades. You won't be disappointed. Mine was dead flat & co planar out of the box, and many others say the same so I didn't just get lucky.
I too have my eye on the Grizz 15" planer... please update us when you get yours up & running. The Springfield MO showroom is only a couple hours away for me....

Thanks,
Greg

Steve Alderman
05-03-2007, 3:51 PM
The 0593 would be a great jointer if you can swing the $1075.
Grizzly has now reduced the 0593 to $925.

Allen Bookout
05-03-2007, 4:13 PM
Get a jointer with the parallelogram system instead of the dovetail way system. I have adjusted beds on jointers with both seups and believe me, if you have done both you will pay extra for the parrelogram system for sure.

Cary said that the Grizzly salesperson said that all of the tables are dead flat. That could be the case but are all of the tables parallel and coplanar and will they stay that way forever? Not likely!!!!!

Harley Lewis
05-04-2007, 10:30 AM
Cary, I can't add much to what has already been said, I have both the 586 and the 453 and both are great additions to my shop. I purchased the 586 when it first came out, have changed knives in it twice and each time it zeroed back in perfectly. My only comment is that the 586 really goes without adjustment once the knives are set. I do not adjust for depth once it is set and I run shallow passes only. I doubt anyone changes their settings much on a jointer and for that reason I cannot see that thing wearing much over my lifetime. Personally, I would not go the extra money and I would buy another router:) . Some might say the 3 hp would be better, and I also wonder why on that issue as well since I take off about 1/64 with each pass, sure does not bog the motor down regardless of the type of wood.

My wife bought me the planer for Christmas this past year and I have not even used it enough to change blades. It is sure a sweet machine, fast and accurate with little or no snipe.

You will be happy with whatever you choose.

Harley

Jeff Cord
05-04-2007, 11:57 AM
I purchased the 490 last summer and, although I haven't run a huge amount through it, it works well.
My decision was based on the higher HP of the motor and the built-in mobile base.
I recently adjusted the tables to be coplanar and, once I figured out the adjustment method, it was easy to adjust.
I also measured the table flatness and they are very flat (less than .001" out of flat).
The only feature missing on the 490 is the tables are adjusted up/down with levers rather than wheels.
However, since I have adjusted the cut to 1/64" and don't change it that's not that big a deal.
Jeff

Jake Helmboldt
05-04-2007, 9:33 PM
Evan, first, don't bother going through Amazon, for you are simply adding a middle-man to the process when Grizzly is factory direct. Also, Amazon doesn't give you a better price (at least I've never seen GRizz products on Amazon for less than Grizzly direct.)

But I would also encourage you to look for a Shop Fox dealer since the 1741 (as pointed out) is the same as the 0490 w/ an extra year on the warranty, and usually cheaper price. Retail up until a couple months ago was $799, some have gotten it for much less if the dealer is motivated to sell. Plus, if there is anything wrong with it, then you have the dealer to work with and don't have to crate things up and ship back.

I think either machine will serve you quite well in a hobbyist environment.