PDA

View Full Version : Question for Sawstop owners

Jules Dominguez
02-28-2007, 11:23 PM
I'm planning to buy a Sawstop with the short extension table. I recently put a BC30 Biesemeyer Fence on my old Rockwell Contractor Saw, which I plan to give to my son-in-law. I was planning to keep the the Biese to use on the Sawstop and give SIL the original fence that came on the contractor saw, but I'm having second thoughts.

My question is, how does the Sawstop fence compare to the Biesemeyer? Is it equal to, or better than the Biese? If it is significantly more convenient to use than the Biese, I may bite the bullet and give SIL the Biese and pay the extra to get the Sawstop fence.

The original Rockwell fence, in that case, might make a good boat anchor.

Ted Miller
02-28-2007, 11:28 PM
Jules, I love to hear from SS owners myself and your question is a great one. If you don't mind if I ask but I would like to know myself as how is the DC on these machines and does the brake system stay dust free?...

Calvin Crutchfield
02-28-2007, 11:29 PM
but Im not sure. It seems a little wider and probably a little longer since the top of a SS is wider (fron to back). It appears to use std Bies style rails though. And they are black!!!!

I have a Bies style as well, but will probably opt for an incra on my SS.

David Wambolt
02-28-2007, 11:34 PM
The Sawstop fence is similar in design to the Bies, but the Sawstop fence just glides so smoothly. It's the smoothest fence I've ever used. I would not expect it to be much better or worse. I have no complaints.

Mark Singer
03-01-2007, 12:40 AM
I had the Bies on my Powermatic for years....The SawStop is better. It is much smoother and very easy to adjust as far as width from the fence. I have the Board buddies and the combination is great! The other nice thing it is real easy to remove and put my sled on....for smaller pieces I just slide the fence to the side....I am quite happy!

Mike Heidrick
03-01-2007, 1:54 AM
I am liking the SS fence more and more. I had a Unifence and loved it but this Bies seems like so much more mass.

I would say get the SS fence and give the SIL a great fence as well. His satisfaction will be worth it. Make him pay for half the fence.

As to the other questions, so far my brake is dust free and I have cut a lot of MDF and even some acrylic. My cabinet is also dust free except for the time I changed to the RK and left the shroud door open (it has a magnetic close at the edge of the shroud door that surrounds the blade).

Ted Miller
03-01-2007, 10:04 AM
Mike, Thanks for that answer, this is one thing I had yet to hear about was the DC for this saw...

Dan Lee
03-01-2007, 10:40 AM
I have had a Biesmeyers on 2 previous saws(Craftsman and PM66) the SS fence is every bit as good if not better.

A couple features not on my Biesmeyers is an adjustment to make the fence perpendicular to the table.

Also adjustments to remove any bow in the faces, fortunately I havent needed to perform this adjustment it looks to be a PITA but atleast its there if needed
Dan

Jules Dominguez
03-01-2007, 11:56 AM
Thanks for the feedback, guys, you've helped me decide. I'll get off the fence and get the SS fence.

Randal Stevenson
03-01-2007, 1:22 PM
I'm planning to buy a Sawstop with the short extension table. I recently put a BC30 Biesemeyer Fence on my old Rockwell Contractor Saw, which I plan to give to my son-in-law. I was planning to keep the the Biese to use on the Sawstop and give SIL the original fence that came on the contractor saw, but I'm having second thoughts.

With all the debate on the Sawstop, I can't be the only one here, thinking, you like your sil so much, that you want to be able to call him stubby....:rolleyes:

Mike Holbrook
03-01-2007, 2:12 PM
Alan* said he would give me $5 to tell you the SS fence is much better and the Biesemeyer is over rated.

Jules' problem is he has so many SIL's that he has to take out a loan just to have a family dinner. Don't even ask about all the grand children, I lost count years ago.

I still want pictures of the beads of sweat on your forehead when you actually part with the money. The stock market went back up better hurry up before it dives again, hehe

I guess I could help you pick it up with the "Ice Wolf*" and maybe the tractor trailer. I have the down curved rear tail on the trailer and of course the heavy duty rails. Might want plywood or something to put over the bed and rails so it will be easier to roll. Are you getting it with casters? I don't think I have anything in the way of a hand truck that will handle that much weight. My tractor loader want help as the saw is going to be to heavy for my light tractor hydraulics. How wide are your back yard gates? I'm not helping lift that thing over the fence, but I have a easy method for building tractor size gates in fences!

Maybe if you rented something like the "hand truck" I saw used to move that new Mini Max sliding table saw into its new home we could get it in your basement without killing one or both of us.

This is going to cost you though. Lunch and beer at least!

I don't care what anyone says that thing is going to be a real pig on the river. What kind of saddle are you going to put in it? Have our toys changed or what?

*Alan would be the ISL or is it spelled Allan?
*Ice Wolf would be my Nisan Titan pickup

Jules Dominguez
03-01-2007, 10:33 PM
Randall, I bought that Rockwell contractor saw in the early 1980's, I think about 1982. I've never had an injury, either cut or kickback on it in all of the time I've been using it, so I'd consider it safe enough for most people to use.
I'm now 70 years of age and am able to purchase any equipment that I can justify to myself. Age brings forgetfulness and slower reflexes, and so I decided to treat myself to a Sawstop, both for the quality and safety considerations.
Now why don't you go crawl back into the hole you came out of.

Ken Waag
03-01-2007, 11:33 PM
I happened to put an Incra on my SS, but my brother also bought one with the SS frence, so I've used it. Let's face it many of these fences are so close that it is splitting hair. That said, I personally would get the SS fence. Very smooth, nicely machined surface on the face of the bar. Plus it matches and if you ever sell you will probably recoup the extra cost.

Enjoy the saw,
Ken

Joe Jensen
03-01-2007, 11:43 PM
My question is, how does the Sawstop fence compare to the Biesemeyer? Is it equal to, or better than the Biese? If it is significantly more convenient to use than the Biese, I may bite the bullet and give SIL the Biese and pay the extra to get the Sawstop fence.

The original Rockwell fence, in that case, might make a good boat anchor.

I used two different Biesemeyer fences over 20 years of woodworking, one on a Unisaw and one on a PM66. Loved both. I chose the Sawstop fence when I bought mine. Here's why;
1) The Sawstop top is two inches deeper than the Unisaw and if I used a standard Biesemeyer it would be shorter than ideal.
2) The fence matches the saw
3) The fence rails are pre-drilled for the Sawstop
Now that I have it, I'm perfectly happy with it...joe