PDA

View Full Version : Vinyl Cutting

James Meagher
02-28-2007, 10:35 PM
Has anyone used their lasers for cutting vinyl? I haven't tried it yet but I would like to try...what settings are you using and is there an odor?

Does anyone have any pictures of finished products? I'm trying to branch out and find some new ideas for things that aren't heavy and are easily shipped in.

Also, where could I order vinyl with a peel and stick backing?

Thanks In Advance

Mike Hood
03-01-2007, 12:47 AM
Sign Warehouse is a great place to start.

I've cut some vinyl on mine, but I have a vinyl cutter here already and don't user the laser much to cut it.

BUT... that being said... there ARE some cool things to do with a laser and vinyl. For one... it cuts very quickly and with no burning... Soooo, you can apply it and THEN cut it directly on the substrate. A really nice trick when creating labels, or other designs that would be too delicate to easily transfer with app tape.

They compliment each other very well... but both machines have their places.

Rodne Gold
03-01-2007, 2:16 AM
Well , there are fumes , bgasically Chlorine and some other toxic byproducts. The hassle with lasers and PVC is the fact that the chlorine combines with atmospheric water to make hydrochloriuc acid which can eat the machines internals.
Limited vector cutting shouldnt be an issue.
Biggest problems in cutting sign vinyl is discoloration , kiss cutting accurately , keeping it flat and remelt of the cut edge or loss of detail on very small lettering.
Speeds would be fast and power accordingly , no advice on exact settings as sign vinyl comes in various thicknesses and different compositions.

Wil Lambert
03-01-2007, 5:14 AM
They do make a laser safe "vinyl". My local supplier carries it http://www.innotape.com/ .

Wil

Joe Pelonio
03-01-2007, 7:54 AM
I would recommend avoiding the use of sign vinyl unless you have checked with the manufacturer to see that it contains no PVC, most do. I agree that small amounts of vector cutting are not likely to do too much damage but using the laser on any form of pvc will void your warranty.

Look for sign plotter films that are polyester or the mylars, like bright and brushed gold and silver. I apply those to acrylic then vector cut letters.