PDA

View Full Version : Drum sander question

robert cohen
02-28-2007, 10:06 PM
I know bigger is better but I am running out of room. I ordered a Grizzly 15" planer:D . Now I need a drum sander to flatten glue ups. Is a Performax 16/32 good enough?:confused: Do I need a 22/44? :eek: The largest glue up to date is 24" case side.

Sanding cabinet doors is good too.

Mike Heidrick
02-28-2007, 10:22 PM
Maybe look around and wait for a deal on a used 22/44 or 25 dual drum. Would be worth waiting for.

Dan Drager
02-28-2007, 10:46 PM
I've had my 22-44 plus for 3 months now and am in love with it. The time saved is really a gift. The width is perfect. Keep in mind, when running a peice through an open ended drum sander that is larger than the drum width, no matter how well tuned, you'll get a slight ridge or hump. Not so if the width of the drum is bigger than your peice.

Anthony Anderson
03-01-2007, 1:41 AM
Robert, I have had the Performax 22-44 Plus (not sure what the plus stands for) for about a year, and love it as well. I am glad that I bought the 22-44. There have been times that I have sent cabinet doors through that were 18" wide, had I opted for the 16-32, part of the stiles would not have been sanded, and I would have had to turn the doors 180 degrees and sand. Spend the extra money now and you will be glad you did when you need the extra capacity. I have a small shop, and it does take up some room, so I built a mobile cart with drawers, so I can maximize my space. The open stand did not make too much sense for me, and I did not buy the outfeed tables, and I have not needed those, as the table on the sander is a pretty large surface that provides a lot of support. Good Luck, Bill

Ron Blaise
03-01-2007, 6:19 AM
Ditto on the 22-44. I love mine as well. Got it from an old lady that only used on the third sunday of each quarter. So it was in like new condition. Fortunately, mine came with their mobile base so it stores away easily when not using it. It has all the capacity I need.

Paul Johnstone
03-01-2007, 9:13 AM
If you can afford the 22-44, get it. If money is too tight, get the 16/32 and then in a few years upgrade.

I recently upgraded to a supermax 37 from a 18-36 and it is a dream.