PDA

View Full Version : Choosing a Band Saw

Caleb Dietrich
02-28-2007, 9:54 PM
Hello all,

I ussually hang in the Neander's area. I work in a cabinet shop, but most of what I do on my own is with hand tools. However, I'll soon have space to set up some machinery. One of the first machines I will be buying is a bandsaw. I have looked into what is available new, and have a pretty good idea which of those (18") I might choose. But I have recently been thinking that I would prefer to get an old heavy-duty workhorse.

I have time to look, and to do research.

I'm wondering if anyone here can get me headed in the right direction. What makes and models should I be looking for? What years? Or, more generally, what characteristics separate the better ones?

I'll appreciate any advise.
Thank you,

Geoff Crimmins
02-28-2007, 10:05 PM
The Powermatic 81 and Delta/Rockwell 20" (I forget the model number) both seem to be nice older bandsaws. I would welcome either one into my shop. :) If you don't get a good reply here, you might head on over to www.owwm.org the home of the Old Wood Working Machines forum. If it's not at least 20 years old they don't even know it exists. ;) Seriously, an archive search there would probably answer your question, and if not you can post your question and get some good information.

--Geoff

Jake Helmboldt
02-28-2007, 10:10 PM
Caleb, a good resource is www.OWWM.com (http://www.OWWM.com) (Old Woodworking Machines) which is linked to but different than the site Geoff noted.

I'll defer to the "experts" but good luck finding something. I tried in vain here in central VA to find anything that wasn't 3 phase or in need of major work, etc.

If you find a source for old iron up there let me know. My sister is in the Concord area and I've been looking for a source for a tablesaw for her (or me since I can justify it with a visit).

One place to look is IRS auctions (http://www.irsauctions.com/index.asp?flash=7), though right now they don't seem to have any BS listed. They liquidate furniture makers and other industrial machinery users. I've seen some sick deals if you are close enough to get to it and can move the beast off the premises.

JH

Pete Bradley
02-28-2007, 10:55 PM
The Delta/Crescent (also badged Rockwell and even Walker-Turner) model 28-350 is relatively common and a very fine 20" machine. The doors on it are thicker steel than the bodies of some of the new machines on the market. No manufacturer today could do the kind of presswork that went into this design. Here's mine, still in service 60 years after it left the factory:
http://owwm.com/PhotoIndex/detail.asp?ID=2233

If your shop has easy access for something heavy, old cast iron C-frame machines are well regarded by many though they often have babbitt bearings which you may or may not want to get involved in.

Almost any old machine is going to want some work, some parts, or both. Having all the parts present and unbroken is best, though some simple parts are buyable for Deltas. A missing table or wheel is a non-starter unless you can wait for years to find a replacement.

As others have mentioned, OWWM has articles on old machine buying, parts replacement, and manuals.

Caleb Dietrich
03-01-2007, 10:18 PM
Thanks for the links and information. I'll check the sites and be keeping an eye out for anyhing in my area.

Roy Wall
03-01-2007, 10:44 PM
Caleb,

The direct drive saws are terrific.....but they will be 3 ph (so you'll need a converter, VFD, etc...)

Northfield has 20" 27" and 30" models (I think)
Oliver 192 is an 18" machine...but oldish.. 217D is a 30" saw
Yates-American 20 and 30" snowflakes are legendary.