PDA

View Full Version : Moving to Austin, Texas

John D. Thompson
02-28-2007, 9:35 PM
Hello Sawmill Creek!

I am a self employed woodworker of 25 years and I will be moving to Austin later in March.

I had a little shop there in the late 90s between Fifth and Sixth streets, just West of Lamar Ave.

Despite my best efforts, I have yet to find a place to live and set up shop and I am hoping that someone on this board can point me in the right direction.

Any suggestions or even offers of good fellowship and/or good wishes will be greatly appreciated and returned to the best of my ability.

Thanks, JT

Jim Becker
03-01-2007, 12:34 AM
Just be aware that some of us consider Ausin "candy land"...that's where the folks from Mini Max roost!

John D. Thompson
03-03-2007, 1:11 PM
Just be aware that some of us consider Ausin "candy land"...that's where the folks from Mini Max roost!

Hi Jim,

I didn't know that about MM. My personal preference in the 'candy jar' is older US/Canadian cast iron.

In fact, one of my fantasies was to own one of those old Walker-Turner wood/metal band saws.

I say 'was' because I read a thread on here about phase converters and variable speed controllers. The fantasy now centers on a 24" Oliver.

JT

Jim Becker
03-03-2007, 1:55 PM
Well, stop by the Mini Max show room on Centimeter Drive when you get situated and have a chat. Even if your taste is to old iron, you'll appreciate the experience...and Sam Blasco's furniture and cabinetry work is outstanding. His show is right in the facility as he both sells and teaches for Mini Max.

Jason King
03-05-2007, 4:49 PM
Since your interests are Bar-B-Q, you've come to the right place.

Things have changed a bit since the early 90's. Downtown is now being developed at a fairly quick rate with high rises. Formerly bad areas of town have now been "gentrified" for tech yuppies. Nothing necessarily wrong with that, just letting you know.

As far as where to set up shop I'm afraid that as a hobbiest I really don't know. Are you looking for a storefront, or just a place to work?

Where to live really depends on what you're looking for, more square footage, fun downtown neighborhood, land, etc.

Austin fine lumber and ply is a good place for both lumber and ply (coincidentally):D

Good luck with the move and welcome back!

John D. Thompson
03-05-2007, 7:48 PM
Since your interests are Bar-B-Q, you've come to the right place.

Things have changed a bit since the early 90's. Downtown is now being developed at a fairly quick rate with high rises. Formerly bad areas of town have now been "gentrified" for tech yuppies. Nothing necessarily wrong with that, just letting you know.

As far as where to set up shop I'm afraid that as a hobbiest I really don't know. Are you looking for a storefront, or just a place to work?

Where to live really depends on what you're looking for, more square footage, fun downtown neighborhood, land, etc.

Austin fine lumber and ply is a good place for both lumber and ply (coincidentally):D

Good luck with the move and welcome back!

Thanks Jason,

I've been spending a lot of time these past few months talking with old friends and cruising the internet, trying to get an idea of the lay of the land, and I can see that everything you've told me is correct.

One friend is a real estate investor and, when I told him 7 years ago that the Rosewood neighborhood was going to explode he just laughed out loud. He's crying now.

I'm gonna cook a couple of briskets when I get settled in and I'll make sure you get an invite.

Thanks again,
JT

Robert McGowen
03-05-2007, 8:22 PM
Send me a PM if you need to know something Austin related. I have pretty detailed knowledge about most all of the city.

Ben Roman
03-05-2007, 8:33 PM
I am a builder in Austin, Georgetown, and Round Rock. I would have to say that there is lots of opportunities in any of the three areas. Give me a call or PM if you need any help / advice on the move or area information.

512 966 2220

Ben

Belinda Barfield
03-06-2007, 8:03 AM
JT,

Can't offer any info about Austin, but want to wish you the best on your move to Austin! Just can't understand why anyone would want to leave Georgia (and the Dawgs!). ;) Wishing you much success in your new venture. Let me know if you ever get a craving for some good old GA peaches or peanuts, and we'll ship some right over. :)

John D. Thompson
03-06-2007, 12:04 PM
I am a builder in Austin, Georgetown, and Round Rock. I would have to say that there is lots of opportunities in any of the three areas. Give me a call or PM if you need any help / advice on the move or area information.

512 966 2220

Ben

Thanks to Ben, Belinda, Jason, Robert and Jim. Thank you very kindly.

I will certainly miss Georgia but, that's why God invented airplanes.

Y'all Austinites ought to check out my ad on Craigslist ( hous-287890889@craigslist.org ) if you want to see some of the things I've built.

I am loading up the truck on the 12th so, unfortunately, I'll hit Austin just in time for the SXSW music festival. Normally, this wouldn't be such a bad thing because I could just hole up and let the madness flow by but, as I will be driving a 25' truck with car transport trailer through this craziness, I will need all your best wishes so, thanks again.

Sincerely,

JT

Belinda Barfield
03-06-2007, 12:11 PM
JT,

Am I readin' you right that God invented airplanes specifically to get folks out of Georgia? :eek: ;) If so sir, I take offense!!:D

John D. Thompson
03-06-2007, 1:29 PM
JT,

Am I readin' you right that God invented airplanes specifically to get folks out of Georgia? :eek: ;) If so sir, I take offense!!:D

No Ma'am! God invented airplanes so people could VISIT Georgia when they get homesick!

Thanks for your good wishes,
JT