PDA

View Full Version : Any one know where i can find a online dealer for the canadian built General TS

Tim Wagner
02-28-2007, 9:17 PM
I have another thread going on this subject here http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=45884

I so far am set on the PM 2000, but wanted one last comparison. How would you rate the Canadian built General 650 along side the PM, and where can I see, and check prices online. I have the money so I want to do one last check.

Dan Owen
02-28-2007, 9:30 PM
Try this one.
http://www.redmond-machinery.com/default.htm

Mark Carlson
02-28-2007, 10:17 PM
Heres two more online sources for generals:

www.woodsmithstore.com (http://www.woodsmithstore.com)
www.wilkemachinery.com (http://www.wilkemachinery.com)

I've never seen a PM 2000 but everything I've heard has been very positive. The riving knife is a nice feature. I have a General 650 and love it. It would be tough to choose between the General, the PM 2000 and the SawStop if I was in the market. Good luck with whatever you decide.

~mark

Mike Heidrick
02-28-2007, 10:21 PM
I have another thread going on this subject here http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=45884

I so far am set on the PM 2000, but wanted one last comparison. How would you rate the Canadian built General 650 along side the PM, and where can I see, and check prices online. I have the money so I want to do one last check.

Talked with a dealer about General at the St. Louis WW show. He said only their top end saw could compete with the high end build quality I was asking about - and he did not have one to demo. I think if you want to spend $2100 get the PM2000. Don't look back. You are having trouble finding a saw to buy in the general, imagine if you needed a big part serviced. Find a local dealer and get the PM2000. Maybe try and hit up the 10% off deal at a local woodcraft on 3/3.

Gary Herrmann
02-28-2007, 10:56 PM
I've got a General 650 and am very happy with it. I got it before the PM2000 came out, but I think I would have gone with the 650 anyway -
'course I've never used a PM2000.

They're both good saws. Follow your gut.

Calvin Crutchfield
02-28-2007, 11:26 PM
I'm pretty serious about a new Sawstop so I would hvae a General 650 in great condition, ~ 5 yrs old. The distance may be a deal breaker (Im in san jose) but let me know if you want more details.

fRED mCnEILL
03-01-2007, 2:35 AM
When I first got into woodworking 10 years ago I bought a king contractors table saw, cause I didn't know any better. I then bought an aftermaket fence and a forrest blade so it worked quite well. But I had to re-align the danm thing almost monthly. In talking to my neighbor ,who was a prolific woodworker (and former shop teacher)he told me he had owned a General cabinet saw for 30 years and despite moving a number of times ,had NEVER had to adjust it.

So I watched the auctions and bought one from a cabinet shop closure. I've now had it for 8 years and have NEVER had to do any adjustments to it. Cuts perfect every time. No need for board buddies etc. Just keep the blades sharp and cuts are always smooth and right on. Not sure how old the saw is but other than needing a new arbor nut, which I lost, Ive not needed any. Oh, I did replace the belts with segmented belts. I think General is the only north american manufacturer (not sure about Sawstop)

Fred Mc.

scott spencer
03-01-2007, 6:19 AM
Many of the Woodcrafts now carry General, as does Tools-Plus, Hartville, Wilke...

This link should help you find a dealer nearest you:
http://www.general.ca/pagetitre/ang/dist_us.html

luc gendron
03-01-2007, 11:45 AM
I'm in the market to purchase the General 8'' jointer. I was suprised to find out that you can buy the canadian model for about 3800$ or the made in Taiwan model for about 1800$. When I asked the dealer (légère industrial in Ottawa) what was the difference he could not convince me to spend the extra 2000$. Any comments on this?

Jim Shaver, Oakville Ont
03-01-2007, 12:16 PM
I'm in the market to purchase the General 8'' jointer. I was suprised to find out that you can buy the canadian model for about 3800$ or the made in Taiwan model for about 1800$. When I asked the dealer (légère industrial in Ottawa) what was the difference he could not convince me to spend the extra 2000$. Any comments on this?

Hi Luc,

I was a bit like you, but I did buy the 480, bought it used off the Canadian Woodworking web site, paid $1500 Cdn for it. A friend of mine in Ste Lazare Que. bought the 8" GI, loves it...even better with the helical head too.

Tim Wagner
03-01-2007, 7:08 PM
well when looking at the international models at woodcraft, i notice the wheel cranks on it were plastic. that was enough to turn me off.

Jim Shaver, Oakville Ont
03-01-2007, 7:17 PM
Hi,

I have a few General's.......:) , I think know the difference between the GI's and the ones with the beautiful Maple Leaf...

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b55/jimshaver50/IMG_3347.jpg

In the end they are a pleasure to own and use.:D

Lot's of GI owners would say the same.

Tim Wagner
03-01-2007, 7:36 PM
Hi,

I have a few General's.......:) , I think know the difference between the GI's and the ones with the beautiful Maple Leaf...

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b55/jimshaver50/IMG_3347.jpg

In the end they are a pleasure to own and use.:D

Lot's of GI owners would say the same. Well, you may be correct, as I haven't used them. If I may make an observation though. All you equipment, saw, planer, jointer, grinding wheel, Dc, and pssable even your bandsaw, all appear to have the beutifull leaf on them. Your TS in this picture looks way more solid than the GI I saw in person on display.

It's all good though. since it's more difficult to find the Canadian TS in my area, I will get the PM.

thanks to all.

Tim.

Jim Shaver, Oakville Ont
03-01-2007, 7:51 PM
You got it, don't for get the lathe in the background either..;)

Hey, PM's are awesome machines, I have used a few and feel that they are really great machines, I love their floor morticer...but in the end the wood doesn't care...we do...it's a lot do do with reliability and confidence and PM's have that well done too...be sure to let us know when you take delivery!!:)

That is a home made cyclone, based on the Pentz design, a little green paint and a Maple Leaf, All I need in here is some Maple Syrup, eh!!

Tim Wagner
03-01-2007, 8:01 PM
All I need in here is some Maple Syrup, eh!!

Did someone say Breakfast?? Maybe I should get all the SMC guys close by and pack them into the picup:) We can come up and have a huge Pancake and Frenchtoast cookoff, and Work the wood. However, Border patrol may flag us with a pickup full of amaricans, claming to be going to breakfast.:eek:

luc gendron
03-01-2007, 8:30 PM
The jointer I'm replacing is in a school workshop and it looks alot like the one you have. (8'' with a 64'' table and at least 30 years old) .I'll get the model number to confirm this tomorrow. The reason I want to replace it is that the sun of a gun is so noisy, it howls like a pack a hungry wolves. I honestly believe that it is in an unsafe decibel range. After spending a couple of hours in the shop, even with ear protectors I get a headache. (This baby runs almost non stop with 12 students using it!)We've had technicians look at it (Légere Industrial in Ottawa), bearings, pulleys... put they could not figure out why it was so noisy. Any ideas?

Dan Owen
03-01-2007, 11:40 PM
I love my General 130 planer. A stout piece of equipment and takes up little room in the shop. If I had the chance to do it all over, I think almost all my equipment would be the maple leaf General.

Gene Boomer
03-02-2007, 6:14 AM
Ballewtools.com, Springfield MO. They carry the General/General int. line and are great to do business with.

Tim Wagner
03-06-2007, 10:37 AM
The PM 2000 is Ordered. :)

Greg Cole
03-06-2007, 10:51 AM
I am a proud owner of a GI TS, its not the cabinet style you all are referring to... but at the time it was all I thought I'd ever need. It has seen some nice upgrades (INCRA TS/LS and router fence & lift).
I wouldn't hesitate to seriously consider GI for any future purchases.

While on the Maple Leaf subject... I am from Northern Vermont originally (now in Kansas City, MO)... and I can say I I am one of the few here who buys beer with maple leafs on the tops. And we won't get into the contest of who says they make the "best" maple syrup!