PDA

View Full Version : Possible purchase of G1023SL Questions?

Bart Leetch
12-10-2003, 1:27 AM
I am thinking of Purchasing a Grizzly G1023SL.

I looked at the on line manual & it said that the saw draws 18 AMPS.

I have a 20 AMP 220 volt circuit that is now used by my contractors saw.

Will this circuit handle the G1023SL ok???

Kevin Murdock
12-10-2003, 7:40 AM
Hi Bart,

A as basic rule, 1hp pulls about 10amps at 110V and 5amps at 220V.

So the 3hp Grizzly should draw around 15amps so their rating is a bit liberal and I don't think that you'll have a problem with it. As long as you don't run any additional tools at the same time on that circuit.

So if your DC and other items which you would run in parallel with the saw are on another circuit, it should be fine. But as always, your mileage may vary, but it seems that Grizzly quoted the amps on the high side already.

On a side note... If you're looking for a cabinet saw and will be purchasing a mobile base and an extension table at the same time or the near future, have you considered the current Delta Unisaw sale at woodworker.com? It's a right tilt though but its 1385.01 with free shipping and 10% off for new customers.

Hope this helps,
/Kevin

John Miliunas
12-10-2003, 8:14 AM
On a side note... If you're looking for a cabinet saw and will be purchasing a mobile base and an extension table at the same time or the near future, have you considered the current Delta Unisaw sale at woodworker.com? It's a right tilt though but its 1385.01 with free shipping and 10% off for new customers.

Hope this helps,
/Kevin

...OR, you can go to Wilke Machinery and get their BW10LTS (left tilt) for $1299.00 + 1/2off their normal shipping rate. After a WHOLE lot of research, I found that the BW is heavier duty than the Grizz, Delta and Jet, sharing the heavier design with only General and Powermatic. That'd be the LAST table saw I'll ever buy! :cool:

Dick Parr
12-10-2003, 8:15 AM
Bart,

I guess I can’t help with an answer :( , I just went out to the shop and checked to see what I was running and it is a 30 amp. The saw does a great job with everything I have put across it. There were no adjustments of any kind out of the box. Good luck on your decision.

Bob Lasley
12-10-2003, 8:26 AM
Bart,

I am running my Shop Fox, which is basically the same saw, on a 20 amp circuit and have had no problems. You would probably have to cut 16/4 oak with a very dull blade to even approach drawing 18 amps with that saw!!

Bob

Bart Leetch
12-10-2003, 8:50 AM
I thank you all for your answers. It looks like my breaker & wiring are just fine. Yes the DC runs on another circuit.

I looked at the other options such as the Wilke or Delta. As the old fisherman would say if wishes were fishes we'd all have a feed.

Alas the shop isn't big enough to support 7' rails at only 13' 5" wide & 24' 5" long. But I do have a 119" long DeWalt panel saw setting against the wall that I purchased for $100 so a wide saw isn't really necessary.

I'll be getting the standard G1023SL.

The Craftsman contractor saw goes on sale in the paper today.

John Miliunas
12-10-2003, 8:57 AM
Good for you, Bart! Congrats. I have little doubt that you'll be happy with your new saw. I did like my Delta contractor, but once you move into a cabinet saw, it's almost day and night! Keep us posted on receipt, setup, use, etc.... :cool:

Jim DeLaney
12-10-2003, 10:30 AM
I am thinking of Purchasing a Grizzly G1023SL.
I looked at the on line manual & it said that the saw draws 18 AMPS.
I have a 20 AMP 220 volt circuit that is now used by my contractors saw.

Will this circuit handle the G1023SL ok???

Bart,
It should do just fine. I've been running my ShopFox 1677 on a dedicated 20A circuit, with no problems.

The 18 amp Griz rating is (most likely) for a fullly loaded condition - in other words, they're saying that the saw would draw 18 amps when it's cutting full depth in (whatever wood they used to test it). Most of us won't be loading our saws down like that - at least not very often, if ever.

No load, 'running free,' my saw appears to be drawing only about 11 amps (using an old Westin Clamp-on analog meter)

Chris Padilla
12-10-2003, 11:59 AM
Hi Bart,

A as basic rule, 1hp pulls about 10amps at 110V and 5amps at 220V.

So the 3hp Grizzly should draw around 15amps so their rating is a bit liberal and I don't think that you'll have a problem with it. As long as you don't run any additional tools at the same time on that circuit.

*snip*

Hope this helps,
/Kevin

1 HP is ~746 Watts. Current times voltage will give us Power in Watts so 10 Amps drawn at 110 V is 1100 Watts or closer to 1.5 HP.

So the 3 HP motor at max draw is closer to 20 Amps...at 110 V.

It would be better and safer to run that TS off a 220 V (more or less dedicated ) circuit if you have one handy or can wire one yourself.

I have that Grizzy saw and it's been wonderful and perfect going on 3+ years now. I upgraded to Incra's TS-3a fence and it now quite the precision cutting tool! You can't beat Grizzly's prices...best bang for the buck any day of the week.

Chris