PDA

View Full Version : Do you unplug your Jet 1642 between uses?

Jack Norfleet
02-28-2007, 8:20 PM
I love my new 1642, but when left plugged in, the VFD is always powered and the RPM display is always on. Unplugging it every time is a pain because of the location of the outlet.

Has anyone placed a switch between the plug and the VFD? I was thinking of installing a magnetic switch and mounting it to the base with rare earth magnets. That way I can cut power to the lathe without having to crawl under it.

What do you think?

Dominic Greco
02-28-2007, 8:38 PM
Jack,
Call me paranoid but I unplug almost all of my tools when I'm done with them. Aside from my Unisaw, which is 220V that is.

I live in an area that is prone to a lot of black outs and power outages. I know that one ill times surge would do to the sensitive components in the variable speed drive. And I even have the lathe plugged into a power strip/surge suppressor! Luckily it's close to the wall on my way out. So it's a simple matter to unplug everything.

I know it sounds weird. But I have had my lathe now for almost 5 years. And it still works like a champ.

Then again it could be like that old tale you hear from time to time.

A guy walks into a bar and sees an elderly Indian gent wearing a leather strap tied around his head. The strap is adorned with a beautiful piece of Turquoise. Being the curious sort he asks the Indian about the significance of the head band.

The Indian replies, "It wards off Grizzly bears."

The cowboy then says, "There hasn't been a Grizzly around these parts in a hundred years!"

Then the Indian replies, "See how good it works?":D

Mark Pruitt
02-28-2007, 9:14 PM
Same issue at play with the PM 3520B. I use a 220v extension cord; makes it very easy to unplug the lathe when finished.

Robert McGowen
02-28-2007, 9:26 PM
I went out to the shop a while back and discovered the following:

Jet dust collector: switch was bad

Jet mini lathe: switch was bad

Jet 14" band saw: switch was bad

Cheap grinder: worked great

Expensive grinder: worked great

All the tools were plugged in on the same circuit. I have no idea about why only the Jet switches went out, but I don't know if I would chance the cost of your lathe on it. Changed out switches and everything has been fine since. Just my opinion.

Steve Schlumpf
02-28-2007, 9:56 PM
Jack, glad to hear you have started playing with your new lathe! As a general rule of thumb I unplug everything at the end of the day - why take a chance? Pain in the A... sure, but not as much hassle as repairing the lathe, table saw, bandsaw, jointer, etc. because of a lightening stike or some other power problem.

Bernie Weishapl
02-28-2007, 11:13 PM
Jack I unplug all my machines at the end of the day. Just a habit my granddad got me into.

Dario Octaviano
02-28-2007, 11:19 PM
I unplug it everytime...have no choice, I am using an extension cord and using the clothes dryer 220V socket. :o

Rik Rickerson
03-01-2007, 3:50 AM
Jack I unplug all my machines at the end of the day. Just a habit my granddad got me into.
Same here.

Rich Chilcot
03-01-2007, 6:47 AM
In my workshop I have a master switch that kills all power to the outlets with the exception of the outside lighting. While leaving power on the vfd poses no significant problem, interrupting the suppy of power at least guards against unwanted spikes.

Mike Turkley
03-01-2007, 6:48 AM
I also unplug my 3520B and everything else. I have to lean over my lathe to unplug since my receptacle is mounted up high on the wall. It’s cheaper to replace a receptacle or plug compared to VFD’s or motors.

MikeT

Mike Turkley
03-01-2007, 6:57 AM
I went out to the shop a while back and discovered the following:

Jet dust collector: switch was bad

Jet mini lathe: switch was bad

Jet 14" band saw: switch was bad

Cheap grinder: worked great

Expensive grinder: worked great

All the tools were plugged in on the same circuit. I have no idea about why only the Jet switches went out, but I don't know if I would chance the cost of your lathe on it. Changed out switches and everything has been fine since. Just my opinion.

Robert,
Can the bad switches be taken apart? I had my band saw and later Harbor Freight 34706 lathe which use the same type switch quit working. The switches were snapped together with plastic hooks something like found on an automobile. If so take switch apart and clean out the dust or sawdust in my case, re-assemble and switch will work just fine. Dry wood is a good insulator to electricity.

MikeT

Hilel Salomon
03-01-2007, 9:25 AM
Perhaps it's an old wives' tale, but many many years ago, I was told that occasionally mice or rats would chew on a plugged in wire and cause a fire. What I do know, is that without circuit protectors, I lost stereos, a computer and a tv to lightning. None of the machines was turned on at the time, but they were plugged in. I try and unplug all my woodworking machinery when I leave the shop. It might be unnecessary, but as the hacknied adage goes "An ounce of prevention.....".

Chris Jenkins
03-01-2007, 9:40 AM
Jack,

Funny that you asked this question. I have been thinking about this myself the last few weeks. I noticed this a while back when I walked into the shop one night to grab something and noticed glowing coming from my machines.

The Inverter isn't the only thing that glows. The newer style PM switches (such as in the PM2000 TS and PM2800 DP) have an LED built into them so that when their is power a green light is on to tell the user "Hey you got juice here!"

I have been thinking about running a switch box up to right behind the head of my 3520B this way I too don't have to bend over and crawl under the lathe each time I use it.

Jack Norfleet
03-01-2007, 10:30 AM
I looked at switch boxes for the 220V circuit but I didn't want to tear into the wall to get to the circuit.

I am still thinking of either making a short extension cord to bring the outlet to the front of the machine, or of installing a magnetic switch between the plug and the VFD that will interrupt the power with the push of a button.

I will probably go with the extension cord running to an outlet box mounted on the base of the lathe. Simple is usually best.

Thanks all.

Ernie Kuhn
03-01-2007, 12:18 PM
I use an extension cord for 220V machines: bandsaw, lathe, thickness planer, jointer, tablesaw. Disconnect the extension cord at the wall, every day. Peace of mind is a wonderful thing. Cheap insurance.
Ernie

Bill Wyko
03-01-2007, 12:51 PM
I had a light switch go bad at my shop which didn't cause any problem other than it burned itself up.But if there had been any saw dust accumulated around it, it could have been a disaster. We use alot of MDF for speaker enclosures and if you've ever dropped a handful of MDF sawdust over a lighter. It goes up like a dry x-mas tree. My rule is no power on at closing time. My JET table saw has been in daily use now for 9 years and no problem ever of any kind.

Rod Sheridan
03-01-2007, 1:43 PM
I open the main breaker in my shop sub-panel when I'm through for the day.....Rod.

Chuck Beland
03-01-2007, 8:43 PM
I have heavy duty Power strips I kill the power when I'm done for the day.

Chuck

Ken Garlock
03-02-2007, 11:52 AM
The only tools I unplug are the ones that go back in the storage cabinet. Your magnetic switches will prevent problems with power surges. If you get a near lightning strike, you can only watch and look for your insurance company phone number. Lightning has a mind of its own.

About two years ago we had a lightning strike in the neighborhood. It was enough to blow two electric company fuses on the 4800V line leading up to our pole transformer. There was NO damage to anything in the house or the shop. I do however have surge suppressor on the power lines to our computers and TVs.

Just my experience, YMMV.

Ken Fitzgerald
03-02-2007, 12:13 PM
I work with electronics and electrical systems everyday. I can tell you this from an experience that happened to me over 30 years ago. Lightning produces high enough power surges to jump over breakers that are turned off. I always turn off all the breakers in my shop at night except the one for the furnace. Reading this..... that was going to be my suggestion until I remembered the precison approach radar incident while I was stationed at NAS Meridian MS. Lightning struck about 1/4 mile away and ran in on the power lines. Destroyed things big time! Now I'll unplug my tools every night and probably turn off the breakers too. I'm glad I found the Creek and installed my outlets as suggested here 50" off the floor!