PDA

View Full Version : Red Gum Eucalyptus Bowl

Jason Hallowell
02-28-2007, 7:20 PM
I made this a few months back, and it had me so frustrated that I didn't get around to finishing the sanding until now. It is about 7" x 3.75", and still needs to be wet sanded and have another coat of finish put on, but I was in the mood to post it anyways. This wood was a nightmare to turn because it is very hard, and the internal stresses caused it to move as it was being worked even though it was bone dry. The majority of the giant cracks you see were not visible at all on the outside of the wood. Any comments or critiques are welcome.

Stephen Hibbs
02-28-2007, 7:27 PM
Yes, the heartwood of that eucalyptus is a beast once dry. I use ironbark eucalyptus a lot, and I find that if I let it dry too much, even the sapwood can get rock hard. Nice bowl though, and I like the finish. I know what you mean about the cracks not being visible at first with that wood. I generally turn it wet and finish it then, otherwise it's too hard to finish turn easily.

Neal Addy
02-28-2007, 7:38 PM
Very pretty bowl! I like it.

I agree with Stephen about turning it in one session. I usually just assume that Eucy is gonna do a lot of yoga as it dries.

Bill Wyko
02-28-2007, 8:21 PM
Nice piece. I think the cracks add character. The finish is beautiful too. What is the finish? I have a piece of eucalyptus burlwood. Any idea what I'm in for?

Steve Schlumpf
02-28-2007, 10:01 PM
Beautiful color wood! All the cracks and daylight just add charactor! Nice work!

Jason Hallowell
02-28-2007, 10:26 PM
Bill- the finish is seal-a-cell, and you might be in for an adventure if that burl is as dry as this peice was. Euc. burl is very pretty though, so it might be worth it.

Thank you to Stephen and Neal for the tip. The local firewood places should be full of freshly downed eucalyptus come monsoon season, and I think I'll wait for some wet stuff before I try turning it again.

Bernie Weishapl
02-28-2007, 11:08 PM
That bowl is a beauty. Nice job.

Dennis Peacock
03-01-2007, 1:07 AM
Beautiful and I really like the color in this wood!!!!

Dick Parr
03-01-2007, 9:36 AM
Very nice wood and form. Love the finish.

Jonathon Spafford
03-01-2007, 2:03 PM
Really like the red color! Excellent bowl... you did a great job!

Tom Sherman
03-01-2007, 3:45 PM
Super wood and I like the form and finish.