PDA

View Full Version : which 60 1/2 is the best?

Jason King
02-28-2007, 5:15 PM
Hello everyone,

I have a rather limited tool collection, but circumstances are looking up. Currently I have a modern fixed mouth stanley block plane from the BORG. Even with it's shortcomings it's one my most used tools. I work mostly with boxes and small pieces of furniture, so a block plane size is usually what I need.

I have quickly come to realize that my plane is a POS. The only question now is which plane to get... I'm thinking that a low angle adjustable mouth 60 1/2 is probably the plane I need. Which manufacturer do you prefer and why? Lie Nielsen, Lee Valley, or some other manufacturer? Sadly my time is at a premium so searching for an old plane on e-bay and fixing it up isn't an attractive option, especially because a 60 1/2 isn't THAT expensive. If I wanted a jointer I'd probably change my mind.

Anyway, any help or thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Mike Henderson
02-28-2007, 5:53 PM
I can tell you what *my* favorite is but it really depends on how the plane feels in *your* hand. I've owned both the LV and the LN low angle block planes and prefer the LN - just because it fits my hand better.

I also have an old Stanley 65 low angle plane and like it very much. The LN plane is heavy - the body is quite substantial. The 65 is a bit lighter and fits my hand very well.

The LV did not fit my hand as well as either the LN or the 65.

However, I feel that both the LN and the LV planes are of equal "quality" - either will be an excellent plane for you. You should pick the one you like best.

Mike

Brian Kent
02-28-2007, 6:09 PM
When I bought a LN block plane, I could only afford the LN 102 Low Angle Block Plane ($75. Free shipping for this iten at craftsmanstudio.com) It is quite a bit smaller than even their 60-1/2. It is my apron plane and I use it more than any other plane. I would guess the 60-1/2 is more versatile, but I love my 102.

Ken Werner
02-28-2007, 7:45 PM
Like Brian, I have a LN iron 102, which I too really like. I also have a LN 9 1/2, which is not low angle, and has an adjustable mouth, and is also really sweet. The main issues between the 102 and 60 1/2 is the adjustable mouth and the bigger [heavier] size. The 102 feels really good in my hand.
Craftsman studio is a great place to shop.
http://www.finetoolj.com/ sells LN planes below MSRP and include free shipping.
If you buy a LN and don't like it, you can get back what you paid for it by selling it on eBay, where they often sell for more than the price at the above sellers.

Good luck. You won't go wrong.
Ken

Ryan Cathey
02-28-2007, 7:54 PM
Vintage Stanley of course, sorry couldn't help myself. But if I had more money and less time on my hands I'd definitely go for the LN. Good customer service and plus...it's purty!

-Ryan C.

Brad Schmid
02-28-2007, 9:32 PM
I have both a vintage Stanley and LN 60-1/2. I'll reach for the LN first every time. For me, the LN weight is right, surfaces are well machined/finished (easy on the hands), and it fits my hand. I also like LN blades. To me, these are the important points, especially when the job is long. I haven't had the pleasure of trying the LV, but I'm sure it's a quality tool as well.

Mark Singer
02-28-2007, 9:52 PM
The LN is a very fine plane and their 102 is another favorite. I have many block planes, but those get the most use and are a joy to use.

James Mittlefehldt
03-01-2007, 12:45 AM
I have the LV and love it. However as has already been said it seems that some people find it a bit cumbersome, for whatever reason it works for me.

You would not go wrong with either plane but if you can get to a woodworking show or store that sells both hold them both and see which one fits best, it comes down to basically the fit.

I use mine for virtually everything, I smooth small surfaces, joint small edges and of course tweak miters and such with it.

Derek Cohen
03-01-2007, 8:12 AM
The best blockplane?

It can only be this one:

http://www.wkfinetools.com/contrib/dCohen/orBPlane/index.asp

Regards from Perth

Derek

Jason King
03-01-2007, 10:01 AM
Well Derek,

I took a look around and unfortunately I can't find a Bunnings, and shipping from Australia seems cost prohibitive.:D

It's good to hear so many good reviews of the Lie Nielsen, I think I'll take one for a test drive at my local woodcraft.

Thanks again everyone.

Philip Duffy
03-01-2007, 12:05 PM
Looks just like my favorite, a Stanley 118! Can do all woods and it leaves not mark where plane has met the wood. What more could you ask for than that? Cost? About $12. used. Philip

The best blockplane?

It can only be this one:

http://www.wkfinetools.com/contrib/dCohen/orBPlane/index.asp

Regards from Perth

Derek

Dick Aubochon
03-01-2007, 5:23 PM
Hello everyone,

I have a rather limited tool collection, but circumstances are looking up. Currently I have a modern fixed mouth stanley block plane from the BORG. Even with it's shortcomings it's one my most used tools. I work mostly with boxes and small pieces of furniture, so a block plane size is usually what I need.

I have quickly come to realize that my plane is a POS. The only question now is which plane to get... I'm thinking that a low angle adjustable mouth 60 1/2 is probably the plane I need. Which manufacturer do you prefer and why? Lie Nielsen, Lee Valley, or some other manufacturer? Sadly my time is at a premium so searching for an old plane on e-bay and fixing it up isn't an attractive option, especially because a 60 1/2 isn't THAT expensive. If I wanted a jointer I'd probably change my mind.

Anyway, any help or thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

I'd like to give a definitive answer, I just picked up a 103, and already have a 60-1/2. I haven't used the 103 yet. The downside to living so close to LN is that I drive by almost everyday. I stopped to get the 103 today and walked out with that, plus a No. 4 (Iron). It's like a kid living next to a candy shop.

Derek Cohen
03-01-2007, 7:57 PM
Jason

Here is a more serious reply. (I posted this same info on WoodNet a couple of days ago).

If I had just one block plane it would have to do service on end grain smoothing, face grain trimming, and chamfering. For this combination I consider that the standard angle (20 degree bed) is the best choice. The alternative is to get a LA block plane and use it with a higher angle attack.

My standard angle block planes (LN #103 and Stanley #18/Japanese blade) cut end grain quite easily and are almost indistinguishable from a LA set up. SA planes should do a better job trimming face grain and chamfering than a LA plane. My LA block planes include a LN 60 1/2 and a Stanley #65/Hock blade.

The absence of an adjustable mouth is not really significant for end grain, although for ultimate performance on face grain an adjustable mouth helps.

If I were on a desert island with just one plane, it would be the LN #103. Best one-handed plane, and superb all-rounder on end grain and face grain. (Note: I have not used the LV equivalent, the Apron plane, which I am told is very similar to those from LN).

Regards from Perth

Derek

Eddie Darby
03-01-2007, 9:56 PM
Jason - I have both Low Angle block planes from LV and LN and I enjoy using them both. I do not have the Standard Angle block plane from LV because it is too thick for my hand. I have a medium cadet sized hand. Cadet means short fingers.
LV are now supplying the blades with the back side lapped, which is a real time saver and a nice addition, but not one that is necessary, if you know how to lap plane blades. The LV also has additions that you can buy for the block plane.
I like the feel of the LN the best, and that is because it is a little bit narrower than the LV, so it fits my hand well, and has a nice heft/weight to it that lends itself quite nicely to the job at hand.
LN do a Cryo freeze and tempering to there blades that are to help keep an edge longer, while LV do not Cryo their blades. This is debated as to it's value, and I point it out so that you are aware of it.
You can't loose with either plane.

Mike Holbrook
03-02-2007, 9:21 AM
In regard to the Lee Valley planes. I have the LV Low Angle. I purchased the Ball Tail and Knob for mine and still saved a little vs the price of the LN. My plane has had to take on duty in my construction projects. The additional knobs are very comfortable for me and allow me to exert presure easier when I need to. I keep two blades for my low angle planes, which gives me two different blade angles with a simple blade change.

No one has mentioned the LV Aron plane either. As I recall the Apron plane won the comfort in use award in a block plane test not to long ago, even against the LV.

Here they are:
http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.aspx?c=2&p=48942&cat=1,41182

James Mittlefehldt
03-02-2007, 10:36 AM
Mike that makes me think, always a dangerous thing, I wondered with that ball and tail knob add on do you think that would make it a decent smooth plane for someone fairly small, ie a new grandson, nothing like getting them into quality tools early.

Proud new grampa is curious, though grandson is only two months old should get ready, for when he might show an interest.

Dick Aubochon
03-02-2007, 10:55 AM
In regard to the Lee Valley planes. I have the LV Low Angle. I purchased the Ball Tail and Knob for mine and still saved a little vs the price of the LN. My plane has had to take on duty in my construction projects. The additional knobs are very comfortable for me and allow me to exert presure easier when I need to. I keep two blades for my low angle planes, which gives me two different blade angles with a simple blade change.

No one has mentioned the LV Aron plane either. As I recall the Apron plane won the comfort in use award in a block plane test not to long ago, even against the LV.

Here they are:
http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.aspx?c=2&p=48942&cat=1,41182

Is that the same as the LN 102/103?

Mike Henderson
03-02-2007, 12:51 PM
Mike that makes me think, always a dangerous thing, I wondered with that ball and tail knob add on do you think that would make it a decent smooth plane for someone fairly small, ie a new grandson, nothing like getting them into quality tools early.

Proud new grampa is curious, though grandson is only two months old should get ready, for when he might show an interest.
This isn't the Mike you asked the question of, but I think the LV block plane is about as wide as a Stanley #3 but not as long. With a bit of a radius on the iron, I think it would work as a small smoothing plane.

I'm not sure if the ball and tail fit the LV standard angle block plane or only the low angle. If only the low angle, you might have to increase the sharpening angle on the iron to make it a good smoother - just like people do on the bevel up smoother.

Mike

Jason King
03-04-2007, 10:44 PM
Thanks for the input everyone.

I woke up early this saturday and got woodcrafts 15% off and purchased the Lie Nielsen 9 1/2 standard angle block plane. I was on the fence about getting a low or standard angle, but Woodcraft made it easy by only having one standard angle plane left, and no low angle ones.

This is one heck of a plane. I know I'm preaching to the choir here, but it's a lot more satisfying to be able to use tools that work the way they're supposed to.

I know it didn't happen if there's no picture, so I'll see if I can find the cable to the computer. in the mean time, thanks again.

Jason