PDA

View Full Version : Spokeshave rack

Dave Anderson NH
12-09-2003, 9:23 PM
As many of you folks know I made a plane till earlier in the years but hadn't decided on how I was going to store the spokeshaves so that they would be conveniently ready for use. I finally decided on a variation of the design for my wall mounted rack which had served me well but wass too small to hold even half of my shaves. This one holds 13 shaves and is still inadequate to mount all of my shaves within easy reach, but it gets me most of the way there. There are a few more shaves underneath the hinged lid so I've actually accomplished most of what I wanted to do. Here are the pix.

Jim Becker
12-09-2003, 9:53 PM
That really completed that project wonderfully, Dave. Everything has a place...which is pleasing to my anal eyes! Great job.

Todd Burch
12-09-2003, 10:06 PM
Dave, the whole package is quite nice. Great job.

By the way - is that a Miller's Falls #1 shave I see in there?

Todd.

Bart Leetch
12-10-2003, 1:01 AM
Dave

Wow thats just wunnerful wunnerful!!! Great job Dave!!!!

So are you just plane nuts about a close shave???

Dave Anderson NH
12-10-2003, 10:24 AM
Yes there are 2 of the Millers Falls #1 cigar shaves in the picture. Believe it or not I actually own 4 of them. Those two are my regular users. The blades are such a paiin to sharpen that I let both of them get dull before I resharpen. They're a bit finicky to adjust and get the correct bevel angle on, but once you figure it out they work great on concave surfaces. As you can see from the pictures, I'm a bit of a spokeshave nut.

Alan Turner
12-10-2003, 3:17 PM
You must be about full up now, and hence my offer. I will stop by and take that plane/shave till, with tools, off of your hands to free up space for you to build more tool storage facilities. I know you are touched by the offoer, but really, its not a bother. No problem.
Great set of shaves, and the display of them.
Alan

Alan Turner
12-11-2003, 11:43 AM
Dave,
I have never used a MF#1. How tight a curve can you shave with this guy? I am thinking of expanding my shave collection a bit, and would be interested in your comments. It must have a use, or you wouldn't go through the pain of sharpening which you describe.
Alan

Dave Anderson NH
12-11-2003, 5:39 PM
I find that I can do a 1- 1 1/2" radius with no problem. Sometimes you can get down to as low as a 3/4" radius, but if the iron is set even the slightest bit coarse it will chatter like mad. Much of what you can do with this tool is dependant on how much you've practiced with it. I always start each session with a short warmup on a piece of scrap to bring my skills back up to speed. There's no doubt that this is a finicky tool and requires a very light touch, but the results are worth it. I use it most often for the inside of the ankles of cabriole legs just above the foot. Watching grain direction is really important here as a tearout can ruin a lot of work in a partially finished leg. It is also of use in some situations where there is reversing grain on flatwork. It has a higher angle of attack than shaves like Dave's Shaves, the Lee Valley, and the ones made using Hock irons.

Paul D. May
12-11-2003, 6:53 PM
Real nice Dave,

I just have mine hanging on cup hooks in the tool cabinet. I think I only have 12 last I counted...

Paul

Gene Collison
12-17-2003, 9:54 AM
Dave,

Your plane rack is beautiful to say the least. But I like what's inside even more. You are extremely well endowed in the plane dept., jealousy showing. What sharpening method(s) is your method(s) of choice? TIA....

Gene

Charles McKinley
12-17-2003, 11:58 AM
Hi Dave,

That is Soooo Sweeeeeet! I have just started the plane collection and learning to use them. The wispy shavinge of end grain are great. Thanks for the advise and inspiration. I look forward to building my skills to make (and my collection to need) a cabinet as nice as this.