PDA

View Full Version : Mini Gloat - question

Greg Peterson
02-28-2007, 1:45 PM
Recently responded to a Craigslist ad for a double arbor, 1/2 HP motor. Older motor, and works great. A bargain at $25.

Got to talking with the seller and he mentioned that he had an old vice somewhere in his shop. Pulled out a W.C. Toles No.65 , 10" vice. Quick release with brass dogs on each jaw. Haven't measured it's max open length, but it's substantial. And this thing weighs a ton. Anyway, picked this up for $75. As I was leaving, he said he might have something else I might like and wanted give it to me. Comes back out with a miter saw kit. The back saw is a Superior, in excellent shape, about 24" long. Don't know what brand the miter rig is, but it is a nice set up. Not sure I'll use it for anything more than quick cut offs and rough work, but it's hard to say no to tools, especially when they're given to you.

Chaulk this whole experience up to a great Craigslist experience.

Pete Brown
02-28-2007, 1:49 PM
Nice haul.

Pics?

Pete

Ted Miller
02-28-2007, 2:04 PM
Good price on the wilton if it is in good shape, are the screws enclosed or open...

Greg Peterson
02-28-2007, 2:46 PM
I know, I know. No pictures, doesn't exist. I'll get some pics posted shortly.

The vice is a W.C. Toles, NO.65. The screw is open.

Is W.C. Toles a.k.a. Wilton?

Ted Miller
02-28-2007, 3:43 PM
Sorry Greg, I was just talking to someone about a Wilton vise and I was reading your post, old age on my part. Toles were made in the late 1800s and continued into the early 1900s. They made some excellent products last lastest for years, Wilton and Toles are not related, I did hear once that Wilton had some of the dies Toles used but that was just what I heard...

wayne ateser
02-28-2007, 3:53 PM
LOL big whoop.......LOL

Johnny Pantages
04-10-2016, 12:50 PM
I recently purchased a W.C. Toles #40 on EBay and cleaned it up in preparation for installing it on a workbench I'm building. check that our at Flickr
https://www.flickr.com/photos/arrowmaker/albums/72157666229150200
335492 16 more pictures at the link above. Looks like it was built sometime after 1898 but I'd like to narrow that down should anyone have any info. The only damage is the quick release nut cover has a slight hairline fracture. so far I don't think the crack effects the vice. Appears to have come from dropping the vise along the way. Otherwise - great shape. The mechanism allows only one turn of the handle. All other tightening must be accomplished by physically moving the front jaw to the work. I think I'm gonna like it.