PDA

View Full Version : Input/advice sought re: Cabinet Doors ??

Bob Wingard
02-28-2007, 12:04 PM
I have a customer who wants traditional 5-panel doors installed on her cabinets.

The kicker is .. .. she doesn't want any knobs or pulls on the droors/drawers.
She wants an edge profile routed into the perimeter that has a built-in lip by which she can open the door.

I bought a special profile bit for that purpose from FREUD, and upon making a sample door, it really does look nice.

My problem is this .. .. the profile that this bit cuts is kinda like a wavy-"S" .. .. it removes material from the front surface and the back in order to create the "pull". With that thought in mind, are there any special hinges I'll need in order to accommodate the profile ??

<<<__ Bøb __>>>

I've attached a scan of the stile profile if that helps ?? ??

Al Killian
02-28-2007, 1:30 PM
What if you only use that profile on the bottom? Then for the sides and top you can just match the front.

Darroll Walsh
02-28-2007, 2:05 PM
Bob, when I made my cabinet doors I just used a cove bit and routed a 4" section in the center of the bottom door, and again on the side that the knob would go on, just longer and offset to the bottom of the door. Just some alternatives.

As for hinges try contacting Freud and see if they can offer anything.

Ron Brese
02-28-2007, 2:14 PM
5 panel doors?

Darroll Walsh
02-28-2007, 2:17 PM
We know what you meant.

Bob Wingard
02-28-2007, 2:28 PM
5 panel doors?

oooops !! !!

5-piece doors .. .. ..

Al Navas
02-28-2007, 2:49 PM
Sooo - 2 stiles, 2 rails, and a raised panel? Just so this newbie is clear :o .

Mike Ross
02-28-2007, 3:31 PM
Does the customer want concealed hinges or exposed?

I am guessing you are making a face frame cabinet with overlay doors.

With a concealed hinge that is mounted with a 32mm hole bored in the back of the door you need to calculate your overlay and purchase the appropriate hinge. I usually use a 5/8 overlay. My door size is 1 1/4 larger than the cabinet opening in each direction which gives a 5/8 overlay on all 4 edges. That said, you may need more than a 5/8 overlay because of the back profile.
With an exposed hinge look for a hinge designed for a 30 degree bevel door. I have found they are close enough for the profile you are using.

Select your hinge and overlay before making your doors. Hope this helps and does not confuse things for you.

Mike Ross

glenn bradley
02-28-2007, 3:43 PM
I'm with Darroll.

Joe Chritz
03-01-2007, 12:39 AM
Hard to tell from the picture but.. how far is it from the door edge to the inside edge of the profile?

My first choice would be to only use it on the inside and bottom edge or a short section of each. Then use a profile for the face that cleans up what is already cut. If that is possible depending on how much material is removed.

I would take the advice and drop a dime on Freud to see what they recommend. My dealings with them have all been very positive.

What bit model is that? I may add it for drawer fronts.

Joe

Ned Bulken
03-01-2007, 7:18 AM
Sooo - 2 stiles, 2 rails, and a raised panel? Just so this newbie is clear :o .

newbie? :eek: no way Al.

Robert Strasser
03-01-2007, 8:49 AM
I agree with Al. Don't put finger pulls on the sides. Just on the top and bottom. All cabinets that were installed in my new house were done that way. And that's the way I've been doing it myself.