PDA

View Full Version : Picture Frames

Lou Ferrarini
02-28-2007, 7:38 AM
I need to make a number of picture frames, not using fancy framing wood, but using 1/2 to 3/4 " thick wood about 2" wide, that I will cut my own profile into.

I am thinking about using splines to join the frame pieces.

Does anyone have any ideas about a simple jig I could make to use on the table saw to cut the slots into the frame? I have a few ideas but would like to know how you guys would do it.

Thanks

Joe Unni
02-28-2007, 8:24 AM
Lou,

Make an "L" shaped sled similar to a tenon jig. The low leg will ride along your fence and should wide enough to support the high leg. Then make a cradle to fit on the high leg and be mounted 90* to the blade. Then just clamp your already glued up frame into the cradle, adjust your fence to line up your blade to cut line and go. Do all 4 corners then adjust again if you want a second spline. Having a flat toothed rip blade will make for a cleaner fit for the spline, but any will do fine. Trim your spline stock for a snug fit then glue and tap them in. Wait for the glue to dry and trip flush.

I hope this is helpful.

Good luck,
-joe

Tom Jones III
02-28-2007, 8:47 AM
I've been making frames for LOML's art work for a couple years now and have never used fasteners or splines or biscuits, etc. If the miters are very good then I get a good glue surface and it holds up just fine. I've done several frames in the 3'x4' size with no problems. I made a large test frame once and was unable to break it without using tools.