PDA

View Full Version : Pretty happy with my McNaughton

Kevin McPeek
02-27-2007, 11:54 PM
I tried my coring system for the first time tonight. I had some expert help from my friend whos done it before so that was a big help. I managed to make it through without making any funnels or liberating the bowl from the chuck. I am also pleased with the perfomance of the DVR XP. I did manage to stall it a few times but I was fairly aggressive. Unfortunately I had to shorted the blank about 1.5" because of a crack which makes the last core almost a plate.
Anyway here's a pic of what I started with and what I ended with.

Brodie Brickey
02-28-2007, 12:18 AM
Looks like you're mastering the McKnaughton pretty quickly. I broke the foot off my first bowl.

Dario Octaviano
02-28-2007, 12:21 AM
Good job Kevin! Nice looking wood too! Is that what you and Mike collected?

It makes me glad everytime I see wood saved this way instead of turning into shavings :cool:

Kevin McPeek
02-28-2007, 9:16 AM
Dario, yes that is some of the mesquite we got. You know that stuff may smell goor for smoking stuff but my shop stinks from it. My hands, toolrest, and a few other things are all stained black. Don't get me wrong, I'm not complaining, but there are more pleasant woods to turn. If I had to hog out that 15" bowl without coring things I can't imagine the mess I'd have today. My shop could be the messiest its ever been because I had to rough the bowl outboard so it threw chips all over instead of at me and falling to my feet.