PDA

View Full Version : Earmuffs with wireless audio?

Hans Loeblich
02-27-2007, 10:15 PM
I have heard of hearing protection earmuffs that have a built in AM/FM radio.
I was wondering if there is something similar that could pick up a wireless signal from a base station, that would allow me to listen to my own CDs or mp3s. Does anyone know if these exist?

Eric Wong
02-27-2007, 10:22 PM
I don't know about wireless from a base station, but I know there are several out there that will hook into an iPod.

Check out the Wood Whisperer web site, the podcast on Christmas gifts....I know he showed several models.

Jamie Buxton
02-27-2007, 11:50 PM
Check this page at Crutchfield. http://www.crutchfield.com/S-YGFb0qI2wE1/cgi-bin/ProdGroup.asp?g=124000 It has a half-dozen wireless earmuffs.

Or you could get a pair of earmuffs intended for communication in noisy environments like fire engines and airplanes. They have lots of attenuation of ambient sounds, plus a wired connection for a radio or whatever. Instead of a communication channel, you run a wire from an ipod or other mp3 which you wear on your belt. Peltor makes this kind of earmuff.

Hoa Dinh
02-28-2007, 1:06 AM
I'm using a little SanDisk 2GB MP3 player ($55 from buy.com) with a set of little earphones. The small player can be in a pocket or at the end of a badge lanyard worn around my neck. The earmuffs go over my ears and the little earphones.

Not wireless, but just as convenient. It's probably more convenient because I can have music while mowing the lawn.

Perry Holbrook
02-28-2007, 6:48 AM
Radio Shack has what you are looking for. Mine work great. The ear protection is not good enough when running the planer but for most other operations it's fine.

Perry

David Wilson
02-28-2007, 7:32 AM
Try heartland america.com
They have several types at low prices

David Cramer
02-28-2007, 7:33 AM
I do exactly what Hoa does and it works great. Always have those earmuffs on regardless.

Dave

Aaron Beaver
02-28-2007, 8:36 AM
Here are some as well. http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=17248&filter=radio

Rick Gibson
02-28-2007, 8:52 AM
Just pick up a set of the ones with an FM receiver in it then get a transmitter. I picked up a small FM transmitter at a local compute shop for $20. Tune your earmuffs to it's frequency and you are all set. I have a CD/MP3 player that I plugged into the transmitter and it sits outside the shop and the dust.